A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SUPER FAST + EASY Vegetarian Lunches to pack for school  (Read 23222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grannystylee
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2005 04:45:21 PM »

I keep thinking about being vegan but I do love cheese.  I buy organic cheese, does that count? so at least they are happy cows. 
The vegan philosophy is basically that animals are not ours to use for our own purposes.  A cows milk is for her calf like our mothers milk is for us.   Organic standards (as I understand it) for milk cows require access to the out doors as well as prohibiting the use of pestisides on the cow's food and among other things.  You can research that more if you want.  Organic milk may be part of your transition toward veganism.  Organic or not, the calf is taken from his/her mother who is eventually slaughtered for meat.  For your health, if you are going to eat anything, organic is always a good choice.
      It's good to know so many people are seriously considering the effect our every day choices have on animals, the earth and our health, what we consume every day with our money or our mouth has an effect on others, so we do our best do make the most compassionate choices.  Do what feels best to you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaipod
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2005 06:08:26 PM »

I know leftover burgers are already on the list, but I have a great recipe for chickpea and lentil burgers if anyones interested.

And all these idea's are great

I'd love the recipe, if you don't mind. My partner loves black bean burgers but I want to try something different. thanks!

Mmm I'd also love your recipe. The only burgers I make now are black bean, they're really yummy I could live off them, so I'd love to try another variation. I've also wanted to try lentils in something, but I haven't found a recipe.
Here's my black bean burger recipe if anyone's interested:

1 cup black beans
4-5 baby carrots or the equivilant to that with a real carrot (lol I use baby carrots when I make these)
3/4 cup salsa (I use 1/2 cup of a spicier salsa with corn and black beans in it, and 1/4 cup of a mild salsa)
1/4 cup bell pepper (red, yellow, green, orange all are good)
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp black pepper
chili powder to taste

Steam carrots in the microwave then put in a medium bowl with the beans. Mash together. Add salsa, pepper, onion and mix. Then add flour, bread crumbs and spices and mix. Form into four patties and bake on a cookie sheet for 15-16 mins at 425*. Serve on a whole grain bun with salsa, tomato and lettuce. Melt cheese on top if desired. Yum!

I double this recipe all the time so I have super simple lunches/dinners throughout the week. They also taste delicious cold. 

thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Smiley My mom made them for dinner a few nights ago and they were wonderfully yummy! A new favorite for me.

-Kaia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everything you can imagine is real" -pablo picasso.
ek224
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2005 12:43:42 PM »

I often take my lunch to work and don't have a microwave either.  I purchased a Japanese lunch jar on ebay and it is great at keeping food warm.

The one I bought is similiar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000246GSO/qid=1126467416/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_unbuck_1/104-5584967-6642337?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507

It has three sections--the bottom is designed for miso soup, the middle is for the entree and the top is for rice.  It comes in handy if you have leftovers, but want to bring more than one hot item for lunch.  Mine came in a blue carrying case with a set of chopsticks in a case.  I often put a broth type soup in the bottom (it does help keep the whole jar hot to have a "boiling hot" soup in the bottom section), stir-fry, vege chile, vege-lasagna, peanut noodles with tofu, etc. in the middle and then rice, noodles or maybe a side vege in the top section.

Just a thought if you want a "hot" lunch!

Eileen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aif the waif
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2005 02:29:21 PM »

I've have recently started making a box of couscous during the evening and mixing it with a can of beans, any kind that suits your fancy, and an olive oil vinaigrette dressing, but really you could come up with many ways to spice it up. Then I measure out 1 1/2 c of the couscous/bean mixture and chop some veggies and put them all in the same container and microwave it when I get to school. Last week I used carrots and tomatoes and this week I am trying broccoli and peppers. I like that I can make a box of couscous and get it to last a few days, so I don't have to worry about lunch for awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My store: Finely Wrought Etsy
My crochet blog: Finely Wrought Blog
My personal style: The Laundry Narrative
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2005 12:46:12 AM »

One of my favorites:

Bagel with cream cheese, slice of tomato (sprinkled with salt and pepper) and sprouts. Yummiest lunch ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iloveyou330
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2005 06:05:35 PM »

Hey guys, I gave the black bean burger recipe to my friend, but it turns out she hates beans, is there any alternative?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the book Godless:

Just Al: I know that God is real. I feel his presence in my heart
Me: What does it feel like?
Just Al: It's hard to describe Jason. It feels good.
Me: Oh. I thought maybe it was like heartburn or something.
ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2005 06:41:20 PM »

Check out this link!  This women, J. Schmoo is amazing.  She packs her son the best vegan lunch ever and then posts pics on her blog.  She also provides some of the recipes.  I'm constantly looking at the site everyday.  Keep it up all you veggies and new vegan.  I'm so proud of you all.  You're awesome!

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2005 07:02:44 PM »

JSchmoo has some fantastic-looking food, but I'm still trying to get over the fact that she TAKES PICTURES OF ALL THE LUNCHES SHE PACKS FOR HER CHILD and then she REVIEWS THEM!  Whoa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Sarahlotfi

Colors: deliciousness for the eyes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2005 03:28:33 AM »

I NEED the recipe for JSchmoo's Barley & Poppy Seed leaves filled with Roasted autumn veggies!!!

Also, Bigmouth... If you carry around nuts & raisins - and love Trader Joes - have you discovered their amazing assortment of trail mixes? OMG they're fantastic and there are so many varieties to choose from. Three of my faves so far are: Anti-oxident mix, with dried cranberries, dried blueberries and nuts, the Just Cashews, almonds and Cranberries mix, and the Savory, Sweet & Tart mix - with nuts, cranberries, white raisins and milk chocolate, white chocolate and peanut butter chips - YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People who don't work with their hands are parasites.  --Jenny Holzer
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2005 07:27:42 AM »

Yeah, I have fun shopping the trail mixes!  I liked Chocolate Cranberry Love.  The taste AND the name!  I try to buy the ones without hydrogenated oils, but sometimes I just can't resist some that do--they're all so tempting!

Speaking of TJ's... I feel like an old lady when I shop there, because I almost always buy prunes! Cheesy  They have non-sorbate prunes that aren't sticky and goopy like the ones that have preservatives (e.g., the major brands, as I found out when I bought them somewhere else once--yuck!).  I actually really like them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Makeup Setting Spray
Birthday Girl Zooey Deschanel Tells Us Her Beauty Secrets
How to Hide That You Just Cried
The Secret to Applying False Eyelashes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...