A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SUPER FAST + EASY Vegetarian Lunches to pack for school  (Read 23578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peanutbutterkp37
« on: August 11, 2005 03:51:28 PM »

I thought we could start a thread with FAST and easy ideas of veggie lunches to pack for school. There's a lot of different things I make at home for lunch like bean dishes, grilled cheese, corn on the cob (that can't be brought to school Sad) and stuff that takes some time to prepare. Those type of things need a skillet and they need to be served warm too. Salads and bean salads would be good, but they sometimes take long to make by the time you pack up dressing, open cans of beans, cut up vegs, etc. It also seems like almost everything I eat at home is very un-portable. Besides PB&J, does anyone have ideas of school lunches that vegetarian high schoolers can put together really quickly, but not get bored of packing the same thing everyday?

Here's some ideas so far:

Sandwiches:
*PBJ
*Peanutbutter and banana
*Cheese sandwiches
*Cheese and veggie sandwiches
*Cheese and tomato sandwiches
*Cheese and pickle sandwiches
*Any other variation of the cheese sandwich
*Cream cheese and veggie sandwiches
*Cream cheese and jelly sandwich
*Hummus sandwich
*Tofu Sandwiches

Wraps/Other than sandwich entrees:
*Cheese and veggie wraps
*Sweet Potato Burritos
*Veggie spring rolls
*Refried beans with onion, salsa vegs, put on a wrap
*Hummus wraps
*Allison's "im addicted to this stuff" snack (recipe pg 2)
*Vegetarian southwest chili (recipe pg 3)

Pita bread:
*Pita veggie sandwiches
*Pita wedges and hummus
*Mashed chickpeas or any other bean with sauteed veggies, cheeses in a pita
*Pita pizzas (put sauce, vegs and cheese on a pita and bake at 350* for about 12 mins)
*Peanut butter and banana pita
*Peanut butter and melted blueberries pita
*Broccoli slaw salad with mayo (or nayo or other salad dressing) grapes and sunflower seeds in a pita

"Left-Overs" (either left from another meal, or prepared the night before):
*Black bean burgers (recipe pg 3)
*Pasta with sauce and veggies
*Pasta Salad
*Rice
*Rice with pasta sauce and veggies
*Rice and fruit salad
*Quinoa
*Veggie Lasagna
*Pizza
*Tofu
*Falafel

Baked Goods:
*Bread
*Muffins
*Bagel with peanubutter/cream cheese/etc
*English muffins

Salads:
*Spinach/lettuce with veggies, fruit, cheese, tofu, etc.
*Bean salads
*Salad with a hard boiled egg and black bean burger on top

Fruit/Vegs/Sides:
*Asparagus in foil
*Sweet Potato
*Corn on the Cob (tastes yummy cold!)
*Pickles!
*Beans: chick peas, kidney, pinto, black, etc.
*Fruit salad/piece of fruit (banana, apple (w/ peanut butter), watermelon, grapes, blueberries, strawberrys, blackberries, raspberries, canteloupe, honeydew, pineapple, mango, peach, plum, nectarine, orange, clementine, pear, kiwi, apricot, cherries)
*Edamame
*Allie's "protein fiend" snack (recipe pg 2)
*Cucumbers/other vegs with hummus
*Nuts, almonds, walnuts, peanuts,

Thermos:
*Cereal and milk/soymilk
*Baked beans
-Soups:
*Black Bean
*Gazpacho
*Raspberry Cranberry Fruit Soup (recipe pg 3)

Packaged Stuff:
*Soy chips
*Triscuits/crackers
*Yogurt (or soy yogurt)
*Portable pudding
*Luna Bars, other protein/snack bars
*v8 juice
*Soymilk drinkboxes

*Edit: I've added everyone's ideas here so they're all in one place. If you have more, please post and I'll add them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005 06:19:39 PM by peanutbutterkp37 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
tickle-me-emo
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 04:01:25 PM »

pasta is alwasy good cos that can be prepared either the night before or in the morning dpeneding on what you put in it - ie a vegetable pasta sauce or just like chopped tomatoes onion and garnish. all super quick and easy and portable in a tupperware box.

on that note a salad is always good. you can just add any ingrediant along with the different sort of lettuces and rocket etc ( OVB lol) with stuff such as mozzarella and tomato or tofu or something

Ohhhh one really tasty thing to eat is aspargus and you can eat that cold once you've cooked it! and you can jsut wrap that in foil.

one left over thats definatly good is veggie lasagne which salad on the side all can fit into a tupper ware box and tastes just as good cold as warm. pizza as well can also be done. it takes like 10 mins in the oven so if you do mini oens in the morning you can just cut up and eat cold.

ooh gosh ideas. veggie spring rolls! they are great and very quick yto just pop in the oven

how about soup for like the water in a flask cos htta keeps it all warm and is super yummy. you can add bits to a can of it like vegetable fried off to make it chunkier as well.

pitta bread! filled with salad and cheese! very easy to take to scchool. oh i am sure i can think of more i wil get back to you if i do! xxxxxx ( hope i was of some help!- not sure how fast these are!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 04:40:30 PM »

The easiest way to pack lunches for the go is to plan ahead. Do all the stuff you can the night before.. If you're planning to take a salad, open up the cans and put them in tupperware the night before, wash the lettuce, etc. Then, that morning, you can simply combine, toss with dressing, and go. If you'd rather add dressing later, there are containers out there with dressing containers in the lid.

Here are some examples: http://as-seen-on-tv-products.ws/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=salad+blaster

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005S6IH/103-5576429-4928614?v=glance

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74067&PRODID=73789

They look expensive online...I've seen some at the 99 cent stores. Mine unfortunately broke and the kind I like isn't sold anymore.

What's really nice about the cup-like ones is they'll usually fit in your water bottle holder compartment of the backpack.

Rice is really easy to transport and you can pair it with any entree so I usually bring something with rice. Mostly stir frys and tofu stuff...

When I'm opting for something sweet and a little different, I bring a nice chunk of homemade bread (or the healthier brands at the store) and make it into cinnamon bread.

I've grown up eating papaya salads and really different salads (we eat cambodian/asian stuff a lot) it's very different and tastes great!  Spring Rolls, Pad Thai, Chow Mein..there's a lot of asian dishes where you can substitute meat w/ tofu or yummy edamame. It's a little time consuming, but it's easy to make and if you make it the night before then you'll need only 30 mins or less to get it done.

Buy/bring a cooler if it makes it more convenient to bring a bigger variety of food to school.

Fruit salads and fruit pizzas are also really easy and great for a light lunch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005 04:45:16 PM »

For dinner I just had chickpeas mashed together with olive oil sauteed onions and peppers, added some feta and swiss cheese and put it in a pita. That probably could be made for school.

I also thought of pita and hummus.
Hummus sandwiches and wraps too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
die_on_a_rope
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005 06:29:06 PM »

has anyone tried the veggie lunch meat? i think that stuff is gross.

since i was always in a hurry i mostly ate bread, and diff cut up veggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaipod
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005 08:22:06 PM »

This is so wonderful!--all these options and ideas. Last year I got so sick of peanut butter and banana pita sandwhiches, veggie pitas, and PB & J. heh. Undecided I kind of got into the habit of having the same things every day for lunch.

i agree... i almost up-chucked when i tried it.

thanks for the ideas.Grin

-Kaia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everything you can imagine is real" -pablo picasso.
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005 05:23:05 AM »

This is so wonderful!--all these options and ideas. Last year I got so sick of peanut butter and banana pita sandwhiches, veggie pitas, and PB & J. heh. Undecided I kind of got into the habit of having the same things every day for lunch.

i agree... i almost up-chucked when i tried it.

thanks for the ideas.Grin

-Kaia

Lol same here! Four or five bucks for Tofu hot dogs called Smart Dogs. After I gagged eating one on a hotdog bun I didn't want to just pitch the rest of the package, so I mixed it with beans, tomato sauce and spices. I still could taste that distinct rancid flavor and got a real bad stomachache.

A thermos always comes in handy, especially if you don't have access to a microwave at lunch time. 
I often make an extra helping of whatever I have for supper. There aren't many things that I won't eat leftover.
Edamame with a little coarse sea salt is a great snack, and it's still tasty when it's cold.  I like noodles, too (rice, soba -my fav- etc.) cook them and some rice or quinoa the night before. Season with the sauce of your choice, add some cooked veggies and/or tofu (maybe even your leftovers from dinner), and you've got pretty much infinite possibilities! And again, they're good warm or cold.
Muffins are the ultimate in portability. Sometimes I bring a container full of cereal and some soy milk in my thermos (or you could always get a "drinking box" of milk). 

This is my best and niftiest lunch packing discovery/suggestion, for vegetarian and carnivore alike:

A fork, a spoon, chopsticks, all in a neat little case. No more wasteful plastic cutlery or fishing for now-dirty spoons at the bottom of your school bag. I got mine on ebay for a couple of bucks.
OMG that is the most adorable thing. It's cute enough just with a spoon and fork, but the chopsticks are wonderful! I'm looking on eBay right now! My chopsticks are just plain old beige plastic...and they don't come in a little set.  Cry Hey I'm a craftster, I can decorate them!  Grin
I also have to get a thermos. And make big batches of muffins and freeze them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005 05:27:36 AM by peanutbutterkp37 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
~Otherside27~
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005 05:38:23 AM »

I don't know if Quorn is in...well, any other country than the UK but its AWESOME! They just started making salami style and I bought 5 packs and just eat it out of the pack, I also had it on pizza Smiley Also in the UK we have Linda McCartney foods, like veggi sausage rolls which you can cook the night before and take cold. We can't forget fruit or carrot/celery/pepper sticks.... tupperware boxes are a must!
Pasta salads I often have, just with mayo or mayo and ketchup with some fried onions, mushrooms and garlic.
What kind of veggi fake meat is horrible? (I hate the ham Quorn!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005 05:40:48 AM »

I wanted to get a metal lunchbox for school (yes very unpractical), I looked on ebay and they were all rusty inside, yuck! I compromised and got a pink and blue plaid softpack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
allie-loki
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005 06:47:27 AM »

1- allison's "im addicted to this stuff" snack
yogurt in a tupperware, granola in a ziplock, and a banana. mix granola in with yogurt, dip banana in it and eat, use a spoon for leftover yogurt.

2- allie's "protein fiend" snack
hummus, baby carrots, white mushrooms halved, green peppers. dip and eat.

3- luna bars. open and eat

4- leftover rice and whatever soup
yesterday's rice (or uncle ben's *shrug*), veggie broth, half a small can v8 (drink the rest), bay leaf, frozen veggies and whatever else. i like to add 1/2 can bamboo shoots. top with italian, indian, or other spices. sometimes i add chunks ginger to this as well and take them out when i serve it. ...i typed this and then realized you'd need a microwave to heat it up at school. either way, it is quick and easy.

5- tofu bacon sandwich.
freezen tofu, thaw on paper towels between plates (put heavy book on top plate). replace paper towels 2-3 times. cut into thin slices. mix together liquid smoke, soy sauce, and a small splash maple syrup (or cheap syrup) - you want a bit more soy than smoke. dip or baste smoke/soy over slices, back at 350 til they look ready. i usually do 10-15mins, take them out, flip them over, put some more smoke/soy on them and throw them in for another 10-15mins. i serve them in a pita with lettuce tomatoes (bring in a ziplock and add when im ready to eat), sprouts and mayo.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Spun Wool Works in Pleasureville, Kentucky
Easy-to-Sew Mittens With Molly Ringwald
How to Make a Paper-Vinyl Wallet
How to Make a Butter Sculpture
Mesquite Tree Used for Woodwork in Texas
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...