A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How does one put on this skirt?  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlackMarketBaby
« on: August 11, 2005 11:12:34 AM »

I have just acquired a 2nd-hand garment which is lovely fabric but I can't work out how to put it on!
  Sorry I don't have a camera, so no pics.
 It is 2 rectangles of fabric, as long as a long skirt, and each as wide as to go about 3/4 of the way around my waist.  The two pieces are sewn together down each side, making a tube, and then there is more sewing across the top for about 4inches from each corner.  The back (that's where the label is) has a bit of elastic.  The sewn corners each have a bit of ribbon attatched, long enough to go around the waist.
  How do I wear this?
I know this isn't very crafty, but if anyone has any idea, I would be very grateful... otherwise, I shall have to make something else out of it!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005 06:49:35 AM by BlackMarketBaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 12:43:26 PM »

Sounds to me like you step into it and tighten the waist with the ribbon. If it doesn't fit you then I'd say make a purse or cover a chair,lol.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 03:33:30 PM »

Thanks for trying to help!
 What you suggest is what I tried, but that doesn't hold up the fabric in the middle, so it gapes and is not very wearable... I guess only someone in possession of a similar garment could tell me how it works Wink
  But I just thought of the possibility of making a row of eyelets to thread the ribbon through & hold up the fabric, so it will be wearable.  The only other possibility I thought of is maybe it's too big, and the elastic should hold it tight around my waist?   V. odd...
'Nough rambling, though - thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005 09:42:12 AM »

its not some sort of poncho is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005 04:57:42 AM »

No, it's definitely a skirt (it has a size label & there's too much fabric to be anything else)... it's just really wierd!  Maybe that's why its previous owner got rid of it?  Maybe she couldn't work it out either...  I wish the label had instructons!
Hee hee, mystery skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
folkloric
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005 02:16:39 PM »

How many ties does the skirt have?

I don't know - it's a little hard to envision - but it could be an apron skirt, if there are four ties (two sets.)

If so, try this:

Put the skirt on with the label at the back.
Take the ties attached to the front and wrap them around your waist, tying at the front.
Then, take the ties from the back and tie them to the front.

I have a pair of apron pants that look extremely funny when not on (you'd be clueless if you didn't know they were pants to start with), but they're great once they're on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005 05:21:02 PM »

is it wrap around like or just three sections? It sounds like it may be a wrap around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kate conspiracy
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005 05:39:53 PM »

this sounds to be to be a skirt like a chupa - http://www.folkwear.com/131.html

if it is what I think it is, you step into the tube, then you need to pin waistband together on each side so it stays up, and then basically you'd have a skirt with two wings coming out the side (almost like the sleeves of a kimono). then wrap the skirt around the back, tie it in the front. when you bring the ties to the front, make sure they are just underneath the waistband so if you were to remove the pins it would still stay up.

could you take a photo of the skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005 02:45:08 AM »

Yes, kate conspiracy, that's exactly it!  Thank you thank you!

I'm off to try it again now (... well, after I've had shower Wink)
Thanks muchly!
p.s. there was no pic as I don't have a camera, but you got it anyway!  I knew somebody on here would have seen one before and recognised it from the description. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 10/14
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 2/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 1/13
How to Connect Crocheted Yoyos
How To Change Colors in Tire Tread Pattern Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...