A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat tree - with Tutorial and more pictures  (Read 10982 times)
Tags for this thread: cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

insistal
« on: August 11, 2005 07:41:48 AM »

I built a cat tree for my two cats. Kilo and Peanut.

http://photos22.flickr.com/32001648_1ff3a15ad5.jpg

http://photos22.flickr.com/32001645_64952c58c3_m.jpg

http://photos21.flickr.com/32001644_e9133f5d51.jpg?v=0

Ok- here is what I have now- I'll add the rest- and better descriptive pictures tommorrow.

This project can easily be modified to use any available materials, or skill with power tools.

I would recommend gathering materials that you have readily available. Its great if you can find leftover lumber and carpet remnants.  You do not need much of either- and many hardware stores will not allow you to buy half sheets. I used my local hardware store for most of the supplies, but  for the lumber I had to go to Home Depot. Home Depot and Lowes have an area in the store where they will cut lumber for you. I drive a tiny car- so after they cut it I was able to transport it myself. In the cutting area they had a large bin of scraps. I think some people have them cut the lumber- but then leave the rest behind. Check this out- you may be able to find some lumber to suit your needs.

Look online at cat trees and cat condos, or go check them out at PetSmart for inspiration. After deciding what you have, and what youre willing to buy plan what you would like to build. Sketching your design is probably a good idea.  I built mine narrow and upright because I live in a relatively small apartment, and my cats like to sleep as far off the ground as they can get. Also, I tried the limit the amount of carpet that I used- because I don't really want them to scratch carpet, and it just seemed like it would collect more white fur.

I used:

1 - 50 foot package of sisal rope  $5
1 - 2x4  $3
1 - 2x4 sheet of MDF $4
2 - tubes of liquid nails construction adhesive - $4
6 - metal L-brackets $6
2 - shelf supports (you can also use larger L-brackets- but the pre-fab shelf supports are sooo much cheaper) $2
sheet of press board or plywood
Carpet remnants
Building form -  like this: http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/Quik-Tube.html
Lots of screws
Power drill, jigsaw.

I labelled the photo to make it easier to understand which parts I'm talking about

http://photos23.flickr.com/33199920_3710ddcae6.jpg?v=0

I traced the inside of the tube onto the pressboard three times. One will be used to attach the tube to the base, one will be the center shelf and one will attach the tube to the main shelf. Also find a larger round object to trace to create a two circles to use as the top shelf and the main shelf. Next, cut the circles out with a jigsaw. With the cut out circle that you intend to use as the main shelf, trace the outline of the lumber that you intend to use for the post on the side of it, then cut that piece off. This is to allow the post to rest against the tube and this shelf easily. Like this:
http://photos23.flickr.com/33394648_2b2dff4a44_m.jpg

The tube part was really the only complicated part of the process, but Im glad I did it because the cats love it.  I was able to get half of a building form.  I cut the holes where I wanted them first to give me openings to work with. Next I used one of the circles cut out of the press board to draw a line where I wanted the center shelf to be. Directly below this line I attached four evenly spaced wooden blocks to the inside of the tube. The shelf will rest on these blocks. Like this:
http://photos22.flickr.com/33394649_c6c240b68a_m.jpg

I wanted it to be very sturdy so the cats wouldnt be afraid of it. So for the base, I cut the 2x4 sheet of MDF in half, then put one on top of another- glued it with the liquid nails and added a couple screws just to be safe. I used the MDF because it is so heavy, and even cut to 2x2 it easily supports the 5 tall post with the cats on it.

Next I screwed one of the tube sized circles onto the base. After this was secure, I placed the tube over the attached circle, in the direction that I wanted it to face being careful to leave enough space behind it for the post and L-brackets. Now carefully screw through the tube into the side of the attached circle. This will hold the tube onto the base.

Post attached the base:
http://photos22.flickr.com/33394645_d667043f9c_m.jpg

Top shelf attached to post:
http://photos22.flickr.com/33394647_4bb3185624_m.jpg

This covers almost everything- the rest is fairly easy to figure out. PM me if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012 09:42:54 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 07:44:37 AM »

o cool

could you possibly give a mini tutorial?!  Huh  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
insistal
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 10:19:03 AM »

Absolutely!  It will take me a little while. I can do a write up right now- but it would probably be better if I could add a couple close up pictures to show how its all attached.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005 10:20:14 AM »

okay thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amy purple
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005 11:06:30 AM »

good deal.  these can be so expensive at petsmart and the like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weekly giveaways at:  www.purplepinkandorange.com
insistal
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005 11:25:34 AM »

Ok- here is what I have now- I'll add the rest- and better descriptive pictures tommorrow.

This project can easily be modified to use any available materials, or skill with power tools.

I would recommend gathering materials that you have readily available. Its great if you can find leftover lumber and carpet remnants.  You do not need much of either- and many hardware stores will not allow you to buy half sheets. I used my local hardware store for most of the supplies, but  for the lumber I had to go to Home Depot. Home Depot and Lowes have an area in the store where they will cut lumber for you. I drive a tiny car- so after they cut it I was able to transport it myself. In the cutting area they had a large bin of scraps. I think some people have them cut the lumber- but then leave the rest behind. Check this out- you may be able to find some lumber to suit your needs.

Look online at cat trees and cat condos, or go check them out at PetSmart for inspiration. After deciding what you have, and what youre willing to buy plan what you would like to build. Sketching your design is probably a good idea.  I built mine narrow and upright because I live in a relatively small apartment, and my cats like to sleep as far off the ground as they can get. Also, I tried the limit the amount of carpet that I used- because I don't really want them to scratch carpet, and it just seemed like it would collect more white fur.

I used:

1 - 50 foot package of sisal rope   $5
1 - 2x4   $3
1 - 2x4 sheet of MDF $4
2 - tubes of liquid nails construction adhesive - $4
6 - metal L-brackets $6
2 - shelf supports (you can also use larger L-brackets- but the pre-fab shelf supports are sooo much cheaper) $2
sheet of press board or plywood
Carpet remnants
Building form -  like this: http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/Quik-Tube.html
Lots of screws
Power drill, jigsaw.

I labelled the photo to make it easier to understand which parts I'm talking about

I traced the inside of the tube onto the pressboard three times. One will be used to attach the tube to the base, one will be the center shelf and one will attach the tube to the main shelf. Also find a larger round object to trace to create a two circles to use as the top shelf and the main shelf. Next, cut the circles out with a jigsaw. With the cut out circle that you intend to use as the main shelf, trace the outline of the lumber that you intend to use for the post on the side of it, then cut that piece off. This is to allow the post to rest against the tube and this shelf easily. Like this:

The tube part was really the only complicated part of the process, but Im glad I did it because the cats love it.  I was able to get half of a building form.  I cut the holes where I wanted them first to give me openings to work with. Next I used one of the circles cut out of the press board to draw a line where I wanted the center shelf to be. Directly below this line I attached four evenly spaced wooden blocks to the inside of the tube. The shelf will rest on these blocks. Like this:

I wanted it to be very sturdy so the cats wouldnt be afraid of it. So for the base, I cut the 2x4 sheet of MDF in half, then put one on top of another- glued it with the liquid nails and added a couple screws just to be safe. I used the MDF because it is so heavy, and even cut to 2x2 it easily supports the 5 tall post with the cats on it.

Next I screwed one of the tube sized circles onto the base. After this was secure, I placed the tube over the attached circle, in the direction that I wanted it to face being careful to leave enough space behind it for the post and L-brackets. Now carefully screw through the tube into the side of the attached circle. This will hold the tube onto the base.

Post attached the base:

Top shelf attached to post:

This covers almost everything- the rest is fairly easy to figure out. PM me if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005 06:48:33 AM by insistal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005 11:35:22 AM »

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing how you did it. I keep eying these at the pet stores then I think I bet I could make one. Now I feel confident that I can make one for far less than what petco is charging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005 01:58:30 PM »

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005 02:35:11 PM »

You have some very lucky cats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
tagurity
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005 01:05:16 PM »

Your kitties are so CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Colored Eye Liner for Back-To-School!
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
Dating Advice from Avan Jogia
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...