A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: My First Ipod Mini Case >> with windows!  (Read 33005 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Girl Annual
« on: August 10, 2005 09:54:10 PM »

Hey everyone
So, the other day I finally got around to making a case for my baby – er – ipod mini.
(see pic below)  I ‘lined’ it with felt for some protection, and there is plastic protecting the screen and the wheel.  I found it tricky, actually, cause its so small and theres so much to sew.  I’m pleased, the only thing that bugs me is the way the fabric at the top of the screen gets pulled up by the elastic fastener on the back.  Also, i embroidered around the edge afterwards, cause i didnt like the raw edge.  I think my next one will have one of those little attaches-to-the-strap-of-your-purse straps incorporated into it. 

UPDATE:  Im adding the official apple.com measurements for the various ipods, for you crafter gifters.

I tried the below link for a paper template to find screen and hole placement. I tested the ipod mini, it didnt work, but if you are photoshop-able, you can resize it and have an accurate template.

http://homepage.mac.com/colinbaxter/ipod/

If I have some time, and can figure out how, i'll post templates to-size.

model size in mm size in inches
Shuffle 84 x 25 x 8 3.5 x 1 x 0.3
ipod; old    100 x 61 x 20    4 x 2.4 x 0.8
ipod; new (thinner)      103 x 61 x 12 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.5 
ipod Mini  90 x 50 x 12  3.6 x 2 x 0.5 
Nano 90 x 40 x 7 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27

I just thought id point out that the measurements here dont translate directly to the measurements of this project, since this case doesnt have 'sides' that correspond to the thickness of the ipod;  just one flat front piece whose edges half-wrap around the sides of the ipod...  so you need to add a bit to the front ipod measurements to get the size of the fabric pieces for this project. PLUS you need to adjust for the thickness of the fabric...  I added 1cm to the width measurment on each side of my ipod mini to get the width measurement of my case.

TUTORIAL....

I reccomend reading the whole thing before beginning project.

Difficulty level:  Easy – Moderate.
I know the tutorial is long, but the process isn’t that long, I’m just a *detail oriented* person!
And, when I did this, it only occurred to me to take pics halfway thru, so some pics are missing for early steps – ample description will help, hopefully.

MATERIALS:
-a piece of felt
-a small piece of fabric, 10cm wide x 23cm tall.

(ie:  twice as tall as your ipod, plus extra for the over-the-top-flap, then as wide as your ipod, plus enough extra to make a seam.    >>>> the finished dimensions of my case are 7 cm wide x 10.5 cm tall  IE  if you add 1.5 cm seam allowance (pretty generous) on sides, and 3cm at top for flap, you get 10cm x 23cm.)

- some kind of clear plastic for the ‘plastic window.’  (I re-used plastic packaging, but it’s looking bad already.  I recommend clear vinyl.)
-pretty thread.

STEP ONE – make a template
Make a template of your ipod.  I used a piece of clear plastic – like acetate. Put it on top of your ipod, and make an approximate trace.    Cut out the window and wheel.

STEP TWO – cut your felt
Center your template close to the top of the piece of felt.
(leave AT LEAST 3cm of felt above the temple, or more depending on your own final closure method)
Trace inside the holes to translate the location of the window and wheel to the felt. 
Cut out the window and wheel holes.
Double check over your ipod to make sure the holes are big enough, make any necessary adjustments.  Make sure the hole for the window is a little bigger ( a few millimeters)  than the window itself….

STEP THREE – cut your fabric
Line up your fabric and your felt, trace inside the holes to translate the window and wheel holes from the piece of felt to the fabric.
Cut the WHEEL hole,
BUT DON’T CUT THE WINDOW OUT; instead, cut triangles so that you can fold over the fabric for the window, and have a pretty seamed edge around the window, rather than a rough cut edge.

Make sure every thing is lining up properly, and that when the triangular fabric window-flaps are folded over the edges of the felt window, that the hole is STILL big enough for the window of your ipod.

STEP FOUR – glue?
Yes, glue. 
Making sure everything is lined up properly, put some SMALL, sparing dabs of white glue of the underside of the fabric’s window-flaps.
Fold these flaps under and glue them to the felt.  Glue should dry quickly – a few minutes.
See the picture below if this isn’t making sense….

STEP FIVE – plastic.

Aside:  test your plastic!!!  Do a few seam tests with a  scrap of felt and plastic, so you can see how close together your stiches can be before it starts having a ‘cutting’ effect on the plastic. (ie 2mm? 2.5mm? 3mm? 4mm?)

Pin your plastic so it spans both windows, on the felt side.
Sew around both holes, (straight stitch) a little over 0.5 cm away from edge.
For the window hole, I first did the seam farthest away from the edge, then after that the second – closer to the window’s edge.

STEP SIX – close it up!

depending on your final closure method (see step eight), this might be a good time to sew the back fastener onto the back of the fabric.  It’s a tricky job once the sides are sewed up!!

Fold this whole thing in half (ie folded edge at bottom of ipod.)
Pin the long edges of the fabric layers together. 
Sew straight seam along these edges, leaving a 1.5 cm seam allowance.  (ie 1.5 cm in from edge of FABRIC)
Just to reiterate, the final width of the case from seam to seam should be 7cm (for ipod mini)

(I did my pins lengthwise at this point cause I was fudging it along, and wasn’t sure how wide my fabric would need to be to accommodate my ipod.  You can do that too, and check it against your ipod BEFORE you sew, or just *trust* my initial measurements of 7cm + 1.5cm on each side as seam allowance)

STEP SEVEN:  trim.

I trimmed the top opening;  flush with the ipod along the BACK side of the opening, and along the Front it was flush at either edge, then coming up into a off-center flap that would accommodate accessing the lock switch and earplugs while in use.   

Trim the long edges – leave them rough, or finish as you like.  I embroidered along after all else was done.

STEP EIGHT:  the back flap.

Make the back flap as you please.  Snap, hook, ribbon, whatev. Mine is an elastic-around-button style.

I sewed the ends of the elastic onto the end of my top flap with my machine, making it nice and secure.  Then I sewed a button onto the back on the case.  I recommend not making a closure that pulls the flap too tightly, this makes the top of the window pull up on the front of your case, which aint all that pretty. 

Badda bing badda boom, ipod mini case.                                 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 04:26:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hana0205

OWJ! you're the only one that I could live for

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 03:28:41 PM »

wow! that's an awesome ipod mini case
i would ask for a tute if i had an ipod mini  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimidawn24
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 05:03:49 PM »

HECK YES!!!   Grin
I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to make cozies for my new mini and yours is exactly what I wished mine looked like!
A tutorial would be AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skier88888
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005 05:37:09 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked TUTORIAL PLEASEEE  Cheesy

i've been trying to make one of these forever but the holes mess me up  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005 06:34:42 PM »

That would be wicked! yes, thanks! I got mine last week, and I had an unsuccessful attempt with a sock...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misskumari

**why can't it be beach day, everyday?!?*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005 09:00:40 AM »

I LOVE THAT!!!!! GREAT JOB!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GIJane
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005 08:36:53 AM »

Woooooohhhhoooooo!!!  Shocked  That was your first??? Gosh! Good job Girl Annual !!! Roll Eyes

I don't have an Ipod, but my boyfriend's sister has a Nokia cell-phone that has almost exactelly that shape and is looking for a case ou something to protect it from scatching, specially because it has a camera on the back (without a lens protection...) that she doesn't want to get messed up...
If I could do almost as good work as you, I think that would be a good present, don't U think?  Cheesy

* * * * *keep it up! And thanks for the Tutorial!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005 09:24:01 AM »

Thank you soo much! As soon as I finish my swap items, I'm so making this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatisessential
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005 11:02:24 PM »

That's brilliant! I have a half made case for my mini, but I got so frustrated trying to work it out it's just been sitting there for the last fortnight. Now I can follow your wonderful turorial and get exactly what I wanted! Smiley Thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince
redrose1028
Leanne

ciao~hola~salut~hello~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005 06:48:26 AM »

if anyone here has an ipod (not an ipod mini) can u plz tell me the dimensions (height, width, depth, where the screen is from the top and the sides, and where the wheel is. i am trying to make one for my friend because the case she got online was a little tight and she didn't want it to get scratched......thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·..¤*Leanne*¤..·´¨`»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Creative Halloween Costumes You Already Have in Your Closet
Kate Middleton Wears Sexiest Dress Yet… While Pregnant
7 Little Black Dresses for Under $25
Culottes: How to Wear Them
Leather Skirts For Every Body Type
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...