A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 80's boombox turned ipod speakers  (Read 7508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hal
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005 09:33:46 PM »

Since he won't answer, it seems to me like this is what he did.  If not...regardless, it should be close enough.

materials:  One Ipod (with docking station)
one retro boombox
one set of old, bad, computer speakers. 
http://www.kalyx.com/store/images/QUAPS160.jpg
those would do quite nice. 

1.  Pop open the computer speakers.  Cut the 2 speaker connections.  Remove the board and the transformer (be careful around the transformer primaries - the parts the plug into the wall)
2.  Pop open and gut the boom box.  All you want left are the speakers.
3.  Attach (solder or crimp connect) the wires from the BOARD of the computer speakers to the boombox speakers.  Respect polarity (+/+, -/-) if possible.
4.  The input to the board should have a plug that can already plug into the ipod!  You're good to go!

See, these comptuer speakers ususally have a decent amplifier board, but terrible speakers.  And the boombox looks more retro.

Also, if you want, you can run it off batteries!  (probably).  You need to be at least a little electronically talented to do this part, though.  If you wanna know, just ask...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burpingbedpost
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005 07:41:57 AM »

So sorry for being so unresponsive, its become quite a hecktic semester for my engineering classes, having even had time to craft : (.... Anywho, Yeah, what he said was pretty much what I did, although i used the speakers from the computer speakers b/c the ones in the boombox couldnt handle the power from the amp and sounded real bad.  it's hard to get a straightforward tutorial for this one b/c every set of speakers and boombox will vary drastically.  what my original plans were, was to somehow wire the a phono plug (the one that plugs into the ipod) into where the tape signal comes into and use all of the existing boombox electronics.  That didnt work out to well so I had to improvise.  I suppose it would work almost as well if you somehow rigged up just an ipod holder on the boombox and used an 'itrip' device to just broadcast the ipod to the boombox radio.  But that soultion wasnt challenging enough.  heh.  Anywho, Hopefully i can get back to crafting soon.  Feel free to aske questions if you want to attempt this.

J-Lay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire
thetreehugsme
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006 07:45:16 PM »

crafty electronics rock my socks.  crafty boys, too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Must-Have Waterproof Makeup Products
What Products to Use and Avoid When You Have Sunburn
Our Favorite Picks for Cruelty Free Beauty Products
The Spoon Facial: Does It Work or Is It a Joke?
5 Things to Try This July 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...