A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Millionth Kanzashi Post (Question too!)  (Read 1571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fancyjulia
« on: August 10, 2005 05:54:21 PM »

So this is my first actual "craft" post and I was inspired by all the beautiful fabric flowers that I saw, here are two of mine.

http://www.understated.net/~fancy/craft/kanzashi.jpg

My question is, and this may solely be my dumbness, when I glue on those snap barrettes onto the back, there is no way these things are staying in my hair. Either the flowers are too heavy, I don't know how to put in a hairclip, I'm using the wrong thing, or my hair is just too darn thick!

Does anyone else have this problem with hairclips and/or how do you fix it?

Thanks for lookin!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 07:03:59 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FerretNose

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005 07:51:51 AM »

Ooookay. Those bendy type barettes will not work unless your flower is very small, and I mean like about 1 inch diameter. That satiny fabric is gorgeous, but i know from personal experience that it makes heavy flowers and the smaller your squares, the harder it is to fold. What you do is go to a craft store or Walmart craft dept, and in the jewelry making area you'll find barrette blanks. (The locking style barettes.) Get the smallest ones, those should be the right size for the flowers you made. Not exactly trendy looking, but who's going to look under your hair? Also, I've used the small blank wire combs (like in bridal crafts area) to make the larger flowers or sveral tiny ones bunched together.

Also, my beautician friend says that those bendy clip barettes simply will not work in some people's hair- has to do with the thickness/smoothness of the individual hair. The only way they stay in mine is if I put in lots of thick mousse and let it dry.

Your flowers are quite lovely. I never get tired of looking at kanzashi on these boards.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna trade ATC's!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferretnose/
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005 03:12:14 PM »

Those are really pretty!
I can't wear the clippy style barrettes either.
I've never made these but all the pretty pictures make me want to try.  Are they pretty sturdy--say for keychain use, or are they pretty much just for embellishment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancyjulia
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005 01:45:10 PM »

I would get nervous using them as a keychain, especially if it was a fancier fabric. I imagine you could make some out of canvas or something or a heavier duty fabric that you wouldn't be too upset about if it ended up getting dirty! If it doesn't bother you then go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005 02:54:34 PM »

Can you link me to the tutorial you used for these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005 10:42:34 PM »

Gosh, those are GORGEOUS kanzashi flowers! I think the fabric makes them so much more beautiful, great choice. Wow, they're gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005 01:09:23 AM »

PRETTY! I love kanzashi flowers! I have seen a few posts and now I want to make them! Yours are beautiful. I can't tell from your little pic how long your hair is, but if its long enough you could use a ponytail tie. If you could somehow attach the flower, you'd have an ubercute ponytail! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @ChanelleDotCom
The Best Denim Care Tips to Preserve Your Jeans
Kate Mara Talks Kate Young For Target
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...