A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine Torture Devices? What is this stuff!?  (Read 940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2005 10:32:37 AM »

I bought a bunch of singer sewing machine parts on ebay and I'm not sure what all of these weird pieces are. If you recognize any of these items, could you tell me how to use them or what they are called so I can research them?

#1. I think this is some kind of covered hem foot but I don't know how to work it.

#2. This has a little ruler on it

#3. This one is similar to 2, but with a bigger ruler.

#4. And the big kahuna--this has some kind of sharp foot, a selector where you can pick one of "star, 12, 6, 1" It is possibly a ruffler foot? What a mystery!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunty Em
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005 10:50:42 AM »

No. 1 does look like an over edge type foot since you have it laying on it's side it's hard to tell.   No. 2 and 3 might be used for quilting and the rulers might be use to measure the distance between squares and the last one sure looks like a ruffler to me.  If you have a modern machine becareful that you don't use a zig zag stitch as the hole on the feet are all for straight stitch.  I think that these must be pretty old as my Grandmother use to have them on her old Singer( It was an old pedal type machine )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandal43
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005 04:10:52 PM »

Okay here goes.  The 1st one is a foot hemmer.The three with rulers are adjustable hemmers.  The last one is a ruffler.  It is used for doing ruffles or gathering fabric.  I have  a Singer 99K made in the 1950s That came with some of these feet.  I hope that helps.  You can get an old Singer sewing machine manual online that would explain how to use the feet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewfrugal
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005 02:21:28 PM »

Hi,
 Hope this helps. #1 is a bias binder, for sewing bias on the edge of fabrics. #2 is an adjustable hemmer, obviously, for making hems. #3 is a tucker, for making tucks. #4 is a ruffler, depending on how you set it you will get gathers or tiny pleats. You can find instructions on using these by doing a search or checking with some of the yahoo sewing machine groups. Advisable to print them out, or look for an old Singer manual.  If you have a use for them, hang on to them, especially the ruffler. They don't make them like they used to! And there are other attachments out there as well. They appear to be low shank, so check to see if they will fit your machine. Good luck trying them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix Cheap With Expensive Pieces
How to Wear a Fedora
How to Layer Clothing
How to Wear an All Black Wardrobe
How to Accessorize Your Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...