A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making plugs  (Read 3047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005 08:16:09 AM »

plastic into ear = very bad idea, breeding ground for nasty germs and very bad infection.  You should see the post in the discussion board on making your own plugs, I wouldn't want to see you harm yourself by not being completely informed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005 08:23:28 AM »

Not to mention that just shoving things through a hole isn't a good idea.

Stretching is meant to be done s l o w l y to prevent tears, irritation, infection (mostly when using materials that cannot be properly sterilized, like ANY plastic), etc.  There are proper tools for this.

Granted, when my ears were larger (I've let mine go down to a tight 8ish now, wearing normal hook style earrings) I used Bic pen cylinders as temporary spacers, but never for more than a few hours to a day.  Even jewelry-grade acrylic (which isn't all that great to begin with) always bothered my ears, no matter how well healed they were.  I had to stick to glass (and the boys over at glasswearstudios.com are the best EVER if you need anything!) so as not to upset my poor ears.

Stretching, to me anyway, felt good - it wasn't all that uncomfortable, it pinched a bit for the night, but as long as I kept up with some weak sea salt soaks (1 cup warm (bath temperature) water to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (NOT iodized!) mixed and set your earlobes in the bowl until the water cools, then RINSE RINSE RINSE with clean, warm water) they were fine the next afternoon.

I urge you to do it correctly, if not to prevent any irritation, but to also save your ears.  If you want to stretch further (which most people will decide they want to after a while.. it's addicting), you need to take care of those puppies to keep them heathy and thick enough to continue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
erinberinbee

yo ho ho... (and a bottle of rum) *squinty eye*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005 02:47:36 AM »

i did use a proper metal stretcher, boiled etc etc, my ears tend to react to metal, so i generally wear plastic earrings, the post snt even 1mm so its very gradual strtching....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005 05:41:51 AM »

If you react to metal, you should really try glass.  Acrylic can't be sterilized, and that's just scary... you can't even put it in alcohol, or it could crack and make itty-bitty places for bacteria to set up shop.

Lots of places offer it... make sure it's very good quality pyrex (most offer even better quality than the stuff baking dishes are made of), and that you can heat sterilize it in an autoclave.  I just always used glasswear studios because they had the purdy colors. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
tagurity
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005 01:36:16 PM »

I had a problem with metal too and absolutly love the plastic plugs I bought.

I work with clay (NOT SCULPY, sculpey, scupl-whatever) and was wondering if anyone knew, if you glazed and fired the clay, if it would be safe.  I am not particularly adventurous and DONT ADVISE THIS but was wondering if anyone had seen that done before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
charlesbronson
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006 07:37:32 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

all my friends are skeletons

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006 06:33:40 AM »

My friend used to do this when she was stretching her ears... With electrical tape. It also appeared to be a good way to add a bit onto the plug to stretch gradually, adding more layers. I don't particularly recommend this, I'll just say I've seen it done and it didn't seem to have any negative effects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on a break from swapping... much needed!

www.myspace.com/_jane_

http://www.wists.com/janer
littlepierre
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006 06:26:27 PM »

PTFE plumbing tape is completely safe as long as you keep your ears lubed. It's teflon which is being used to make a lot of solid plugs nowadays, it's inert, and there are no adhesives to mess up your ears. Check out www.tuflon.com, it's the same material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my portfolio and blog at www.creatureswitheyes.com

I'm in the mood for a personal swap, anyone want a hat?
ShimmeringFae
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007 08:48:41 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or Teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
I tried electrical and it was nasty, the glue would ooze out after awhile. I used Teflon, you have to tape it down or something cause it's not sticky but I've heard bondage tape is, so it's better. Though, the people on the previous page would shot me for saying anything good about it. I didn't have any problems at all with Teflon tape.
I currently wear acrylic (or plastic, as a few of you have said) and I haven't had any problems. I use acrylic cause it's cheaper than both metal and glass, I'd love glass plugs but it's too expensive around here.
Oh, and I'd like some reliable URLs saying what's "toxic" and what's not because you're all contridicting yourselves. Just saying that something is so does not make it so, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007 09:42:10 PM by ShimmeringFae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

all my friends are skeletons

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007 08:58:59 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or Teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
I tried electrical and it was nasty, the glue would ooze out after awhile. I used Teflon, you have to tape it down or something cause it's not sticky but I've heard bondage tape is, so it's better. Though, the people on the previous page would shot me for saying anything good about it. I didn't have any problems at all with Teflon tape.
I currently wear acrylic (or plastic, as a few of you have said) and I haven't had any problems. I use acrylic cause it's cheaper than both metal and glass, I'd love glass plugs but it's too expensive around here.
Oh, and I'd like some reliable URLs saying what's "toxic" and what's not because you're all contridicting yourselves. Just saying that something is so does not make it so, sorry.

Okay Shimmering, you asked for it, you got it. Here's a blog about making fimo or sculpey plugs:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EMKL89AY5GEP2880IH/

An excellent 3 page article about body jewelry from about.com

http://tattoo.about.com/od/piercingsgeneralinfo/a/bjmaterials.htm

I couldn't find any material specifically on using sculpey from a professional's point of view, so I would recommend not using it! If professional's don't talk about it, there's probably a reason.

It's late and that's all the digging I could do for now. If need be, I'll look for more articles to satisfy your need to clear up these "contradictions". Which, by the way, are in no means a professional answer from any of us. Just opinions based on experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on a break from swapping... much needed!

www.myspace.com/_jane_

http://www.wists.com/janer
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint the Ocean
How to Paint Apples
How to Paint Fabric
How to Paint Tangerines
How to Paint Cherries
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...