A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making plugs  (Read 2970 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onextoughxcookie
« on: August 09, 2005 10:33:24 PM »

does anyone know good material to make plugs out of? i've been trying with sculpi but i just can't figure it out, help a lady out, i want to make my own unique plugs!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005 10:36:33 PM »

Dont make them out of sculpy. Bad idea. It has way too many chemicals for your ears. Use natural things like wood or sergical grade steel. If you can cut metal, you can make some out of rods, or if you can cut wood you can make some out of wooden dowels. make sure its a strong wood though, one that isnt too pourous.
plastic and clay and that sorta stuff isnt good for you ears!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
onextoughxcookie
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005 10:38:33 PM »

yeh i was hoping clay or sculpi would be okay since you bake it and you can be more creative and decorative that with other things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005 01:02:05 PM »

yeh i was hoping clay or sculpi would be okay since you bake it and you can be more creative and decorative that with other things. 

There have been some discussions on this on here, try searching for them you might get some ideas, as well as things people tried that didn't work.

I seem to remember one person did a sculpy and there ear grew into the pores of the clay.... OUCH.

Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005 01:27:53 PM »

Glass, bone, natural untreated woods...I've seen some weird stuff in peoples ears. Once I saw a huge twig in a guys ears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
ffancypantss
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005 04:48:26 PM »

what's a plug?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy.com
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005 04:58:12 PM »

Its something larger than a normal ear ring. thats an example of wooden ones used from tribal piercing and stretching. and theres some more "modern day" ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
janer

all my friends are skeletons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005 05:05:33 PM »

I'm in agreement with the other people here, sculpey in ears - bad!!! Don't use anything that's too porus, they can get badly stuck in your ears!!! I do have a suggestion though, if you covert your guage to mm's, you can buy beads from a craft store! I've done that before, and you can even dangle something from the hole in the middle, or fill the hole with something. They usually look pretty cool! But again, beware of the pores!

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on a break from swapping... much needed!

www.myspace.com/_jane_

http://www.wists.com/janer
starpiste
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005 06:07:08 PM »

you can always put sculpy inside a safe outer tunnel. it;s only the frtont end you'd see anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ffancypantss
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005 01:03:02 PM »

gross
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.limabeads.etsy.com
janer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005 02:39:14 PM »

gross

On behalf of those with stretched ears... Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/_jane_

Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005 02:42:01 PM »

gross

On behalf of those with stretched ears... Thank you!

LOL! ...nice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005 08:46:53 AM »

Electrical tape's good if you're still stretching, you can keep adding layers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005 01:09:06 AM »

teflon tape IS not safe jeeeeeesus christ its intended for sealing plumbing joints,nor is electrical tape are you people retarded?,braindead? fimo and sculpy are chemical based they are not clay!!!!!! were do you get this crap? plastic is a toxic byproduct!! you can and will lose your lobes,no joke
they have to be removed and coterized,you do not see immediete damage
sometimes it takes years for the damage to manifest into surgery.

what does being broke have to do with STRETCHING? you are stretching a piercing,done for literally thousands of years by just about EVERY culture on the planet,it took them thousands of years to develop thier rituals and with success,using materials that are damn near free! seriously 25 cents for a mahogony dowl at just about any hardware store,and less than 3 bux for sandpaper and some elbow grease will make you PERFECT safe non toxic non caustic etc etc tapers to take your ears,septums,labrets etc etc to any size you desire!,the same dowls can easily provide amazing plugs,in various colors with vegtable dye and oils

how is that hard you kids are on a craft website you must have some sort of eye for art? right use real creativity,with organic materials for the saftey of yourself ,its a body you have to live with a long time decorate it with respect, and for respect of the cultures your borrowing your latest fashion trend from

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abandoned
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005 01:16:05 AM »

how about some nice rocks ( the ones that look a bit marble-y and smooth ). You can sand em down to how you want them and wash em really good. Its earthy. Lots of cooties, but you can boil them on the stove for a good while to sterilize them a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005 05:50:01 AM »

teflon tape IS not safe jeeeeeesus christ its intended for sealing plumbing joints,nor is electrical tape are you people retarded?,braindead? fimo and sculpy are chemical based they are not clay!!!!!! were do you get this crap? plastic is a toxic byproduct!! you can and will lose your lobes,no joke
they have to be removed and coterized,you do not see immediete damage
sometimes it takes years for the damage to manifest into surgery.

what does being broke have to do with STRETCHING? you are stretching a piercing,done for literally thousands of years by just about EVERY culture on the planet,it took them thousands of years to develop thier rituals and with success,using materials that are damn near free! seriously 25 cents for a mahogony dowl at just about any hardware store,and less than 3 bux for sandpaper and some elbow grease will make you PERFECT safe non toxic non caustic etc etc tapers to take your ears,septums,labrets etc etc to any size you desire!,the same dowls can easily provide amazing plugs,in various colors with vegtable dye and oils

how is that hard you kids are on a craft website you must have some sort of eye for art? right use real creativity,with organic materials for the saftey of yourself ,its a body you have to live with a long time decorate it with respect, and for respect of the cultures your borrowing your latest fashion trend from

Nicely put. I agree 100%, it's all fact.

how about some nice rocks ( the ones that look a bit marble-y and smooth ). You can sand em down to how you want them and wash em really good. Its earthy. Lots of cooties, but you can boil them on the stove for a good while to sterilize them a bit.

I wouldn't go telling anyone this, either. Again, some natural materials are porous, rocks can be one of them. You defanitely need to do your research before you just start sanding anything down and sticking it in your body. Please, PLEASE if you want to seriously make plugs for yourself, contact a local piercing shop and ask them what natural materials are good for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/_jane_

ffancypantss
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005 01:31:51 PM »

I am sorry if my comment about plugs being "gross" offended any of you guys. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.limabeads.etsy.com
janer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005 07:15:36 PM »

I am sorry if my comment about plugs being "gross" offended any of you guys. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Hahaha! I'm soooo not offended! You're entitled to your opinion. Mine aren't huge, either. Most people can't tell that I even have mine stretched. And for what it matters, having stretched ears and tattoos does float my boat! But everyone is their own person, and if we weren't, it'd be a boring world!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/_jane_

ffancypantss
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005 01:12:41 PM »

you are so right. i do think tattoos (in moderation, lol, which i am guessing you have) are pretty cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.limabeads.etsy.com
erinberinbee

yo ho ho... (and a bottle of rum) *squinty eye*

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005 07:43:57 AM »

I just thought i'd share my new idea with the world...... I was down town yesterday and I thought, today i'm going to buy a flesh tube for my ear, so I did......

anyway to cut a long story short, got home, couldnt get it in ear so decided to make one out of lego flowers, it looks really cool, so if anyone is too wussy to get a big fleshtube in thier ear you can amke a really cool one out of the stalks of lego flowers, cut a bit of the green stalk off melt a flower onto one end and use the other end as a fastening....! voila.....
the stalk of the flower is about 1mm thick so its a lil bit painful to push through....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005 08:16:09 AM »

plastic into ear = very bad idea, breeding ground for nasty germs and very bad infection.  You should see the post in the discussion board on making your own plugs, I wouldn't want to see you harm yourself by not being completely informed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005 08:23:28 AM »

Not to mention that just shoving things through a hole isn't a good idea.

Stretching is meant to be done s l o w l y to prevent tears, irritation, infection (mostly when using materials that cannot be properly sterilized, like ANY plastic), etc.  There are proper tools for this.

Granted, when my ears were larger (I've let mine go down to a tight 8ish now, wearing normal hook style earrings) I used Bic pen cylinders as temporary spacers, but never for more than a few hours to a day.  Even jewelry-grade acrylic (which isn't all that great to begin with) always bothered my ears, no matter how well healed they were.  I had to stick to glass (and the boys over at glasswearstudios.com are the best EVER if you need anything!) so as not to upset my poor ears.

Stretching, to me anyway, felt good - it wasn't all that uncomfortable, it pinched a bit for the night, but as long as I kept up with some weak sea salt soaks (1 cup warm (bath temperature) water to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (NOT iodized!) mixed and set your earlobes in the bowl until the water cools, then RINSE RINSE RINSE with clean, warm water) they were fine the next afternoon.

I urge you to do it correctly, if not to prevent any irritation, but to also save your ears.  If you want to stretch further (which most people will decide they want to after a while.. it's addicting), you need to take care of those puppies to keep them heathy and thick enough to continue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
erinberinbee

yo ho ho... (and a bottle of rum) *squinty eye*

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005 02:47:36 AM »

i did use a proper metal stretcher, boiled etc etc, my ears tend to react to metal, so i generally wear plastic earrings, the post snt even 1mm so its very gradual strtching....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005 05:41:51 AM »

If you react to metal, you should really try glass.  Acrylic can't be sterilized, and that's just scary... you can't even put it in alcohol, or it could crack and make itty-bitty places for bacteria to set up shop.

Lots of places offer it... make sure it's very good quality pyrex (most offer even better quality than the stuff baking dishes are made of), and that you can heat sterilize it in an autoclave.  I just always used glasswear studios because they had the purdy colors. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
tagurity
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005 01:36:16 PM »

I had a problem with metal too and absolutly love the plastic plugs I bought.

I work with clay (NOT SCULPY, sculpey, scupl-whatever) and was wondering if anyone knew, if you glazed and fired the clay, if it would be safe.  I am not particularly adventurous and DONT ADVISE THIS but was wondering if anyone had seen that done before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
charlesbronson
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006 07:37:32 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006 06:33:40 AM »

My friend used to do this when she was stretching her ears... With electrical tape. It also appeared to be a good way to add a bit onto the plug to stretch gradually, adding more layers. I don't particularly recommend this, I'll just say I've seen it done and it didn't seem to have any negative effects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/_jane_

littlepierre
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006 06:26:27 PM »

PTFE plumbing tape is completely safe as long as you keep your ears lubed. It's teflon which is being used to make a lot of solid plugs nowadays, it's inert, and there are no adhesives to mess up your ears. Check out www.tuflon.com, it's the same material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my portfolio and blog at www.creatureswitheyes.com

I'm in the mood for a personal swap, anyone want a hat?
ShimmeringFae
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007 08:48:41 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or Teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
I tried electrical and it was nasty, the glue would ooze out after awhile. I used Teflon, you have to tape it down or something cause it's not sticky but I've heard bondage tape is, so it's better. Though, the people on the previous page would shot me for saying anything good about it. I didn't have any problems at all with Teflon tape.
I currently wear acrylic (or plastic, as a few of you have said) and I haven't had any problems. I use acrylic cause it's cheaper than both metal and glass, I'd love glass plugs but it's too expensive around here.
Oh, and I'd like some reliable URLs saying what's "toxic" and what's not because you're all contridicting yourselves. Just saying that something is so does not make it so, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007 09:42:10 PM by ShimmeringFae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007 08:58:59 PM »

could you make a plug and then put a layer of tape (electrical or bondage or Teflon) around the part that goes in your ear?
I tried electrical and it was nasty, the glue would ooze out after awhile. I used Teflon, you have to tape it down or something cause it's not sticky but I've heard bondage tape is, so it's better. Though, the people on the previous page would shot me for saying anything good about it. I didn't have any problems at all with Teflon tape.
I currently wear acrylic (or plastic, as a few of you have said) and I haven't had any problems. I use acrylic cause it's cheaper than both metal and glass, I'd love glass plugs but it's too expensive around here.
Oh, and I'd like some reliable URLs saying what's "toxic" and what's not because you're all contridicting yourselves. Just saying that something is so does not make it so, sorry.

Okay Shimmering, you asked for it, you got it. Here's a blog about making fimo or sculpey plugs:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EMKL89AY5GEP2880IH/

An excellent 3 page article about body jewelry from about.com

http://tattoo.about.com/od/piercingsgeneralinfo/a/bjmaterials.htm

I couldn't find any material specifically on using sculpey from a professional's point of view, so I would recommend not using it! If professional's don't talk about it, there's probably a reason.

It's late and that's all the digging I could do for now. If need be, I'll look for more articles to satisfy your need to clear up these "contradictions". Which, by the way, are in no means a professional answer from any of us. Just opinions based on experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/_jane_

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Comedian Laurie Elliott
The Father of Standup Comedy Wayne Flemming
Chatting With Comedian Jazz Mann
How to Package a Letter with an Inflatable Die
Country Band Rascal Flatts Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...