A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ruching?  (Read 2415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue4
Faith

toe-lickin' good

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2004 04:16:47 PM »

How exactly would you go by doing this? does anyone have a toutorial? (please excuse the spelling)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things are true whether you want to believe in them or not.
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004 04:24:02 PM »

Two sites on Ruche-ing

http://www.quiltersfancy.com/ruching.htm

http://www.thimbleworks.com/ruchemar.htm

this is what my sewing book has to say about ruching:

"Ruching is always cut on the bias to give the fabric more elasticity. This technique is used extensively in couture dressmaking. Small areas, such as waistlines or bustlines, can be ruched, or a whole bodice can be treated in this way. Be prepared to spend some time arranging the gathers, and take care to avoid pulling them too tightly.

1) lay the garment our or on a dress form and deciede on the area to be ruched. Makr one row of basting along the top and bottom of this area. measure the length and depth of this area.

2) Cut a strip of fabric on the bias twice as deep as the makred area by its length. (this also depends on the fabric weight, for example, chiffon is cut 3 times as deep as the marked area)

3) Baste along both edges of the fabric strip under by 1 1/4". Stitch two rows of gathering stitches across one short end, and gather it up to fit across the marked garment area.

4) Pin the gathered end of the ruching to the garment at one side of the opening. Kepping the garment pulled tight on the dress form, stretch the ruching around the body of the garment. Pint the ruching to the basted lines (done back in step 1.)

5) After stretching the ruched fabric around the dress form, handstitch two rows of gathering stitches across the ends to fit the ruching. Pull up the threads, and pin. Trim any excess ruching next to the gathering.

6) Position the gathers in the ruching. Working around the garment one section at a time pin the gathered ruching in place at the side back side, side front and center front. Position the pins between the folds in the fabric.

7) Take the garment off the dress form, and stitch the ruching looselybetween each pinned gather. The stitches must be very small, each catching only one thread of the ruching. Remove the thread tracing. The ruching at the opening is covered by a facing or a zipper opening.

I hope that can be of help.

the sites mentioned are showing the tool used to do ruching to make fabric flowers for projects... the stuff I got from my sewing books is about garment ruching....

the technique shown in the pic you have... I'm not sure what thats really called....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004 04:47:06 PM by shade_n_shadow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
blue4
Faith

toe-lickin' good

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004 04:36:38 PM »

Oh man, do you have to have one of thouse thing a ma gigs to do this ... http://ohmystars.net/page/tees/dare2.jpg ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things are true whether you want to believe in them or not.
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004 04:43:44 PM »

oh goodness no- you don't even need the ruching stuff I typed above... you can just sew bias tape or ribbon on the inside (or outside to be decorative) to make a tube for the drawstring to go through, then put in the drawstring and pull up and tie where you wish!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004 04:47:57 PM by shade_n_shadow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
monkeyrocker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004 06:45:46 AM »

oh goodness no- you don't even need the ruching stuff I typed above... you can just sew bias tape or ribbon on the inside (or outside to be decorative) to make a tube for the drawstring to go through, then put in the drawstring and pull up and tie where you wish!

When I add a drawstring to the side seam of a shirt, I actually just use the seam allowances to make a tube for the draw string (I usually add some width to the allowances before cutting--unless you're using a really thin ribbon, 5/8 isn't enough width):

Before sewing in the sleeve, I press the seams out, then I pin a drawstring on either side of the seam sandwiched between the seam allowance and the inside of the  garment at the armpit.  I then tack down the seam allowance and drawstring (they'll get sewn down permanently when you sew in your sleeve or finish the armhole).  I then pin the drawstring and seam allowance and sew down the length of the allowance making sure not to catch the drawstring (the pinning should help).  Of course, this method only works for sleeveless garments and shirts with set-in sleeves.

I like to make my own drawstrings in matching or crazy contrasting fabric by using one of these bad boys:
http://www.joannfabric.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$2WJWDWAAAEOXAP4SY5FBIHR50LD2WEPO?CATID=24991&PRODID=47491
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
sray
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004 05:23:13 PM »

I'm not sure if there's a difference between ruching and gathering, but you can also use a piece of elastic for gathers--with a machine, sew directly on it, stretching the elastic taut towards you as you sew (the more you stretch it as you sew, the mroe gathered it gets.)  Then when its done, the fabric gets gathered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sray
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004 05:25:49 PM »

And then you would put a ribbon bow at the bottom.  (sry forgot to add that)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004 06:07:22 PM »

I used the ribbon tutorial at ohmystars.net . It was pretty easy. I started with a pair of capris that were dyed the wrong color. And I didn;t like them. So it turned out fine. THen I tried to make an off the shoulder shirt and the shoulders were too big and it was too wide. So I ruched the side and the shoulders. I wiil have to post a picture soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate."
                      - Thorton Wilder
(Personally I have never heard of Thorton but I like that quote!)
SpektrumFemme
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004 05:32:53 PM »

these also wrk...personally, they were easy

http://www.ohmystars.net/page/tshirts2.html

[*elastic ruching][*ribbon ruching][/list]
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

6Kolors R Bettah than NoNe
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    Take a Natural Approach to Bold Brows
    How to Use Bright Eyeshadow for a Chic Look
    How to Wear a Colorful Smoky Eye
    The 5-Minute Fix for Removing Glitter Nail Polish
    How to Do Colourful Festival Make Up
    Latest Blog Articles
    Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
    These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
    Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...