A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
831 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitted dog collar  (Read 2697 times)
Tags for this thread: dog_collar  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DogGrrl
« on: March 30, 2005 05:54:30 PM »

I originally posted this in knitting, completed projects back in October but thought I would share it here.  This is Monkey's knitted Halloween collar and leash.  I used orange Fizz for the second color so it is all spooky looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8thagr8
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005 09:06:51 AM »

ooh it is spooky indeed!!!   Shocked  too cute my friend!!!  shadow and i love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005 09:09:42 AM »

I want to make one for Conan, how'd you do it?  Btw, he likes your dog .... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
Crafty_Girl25
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005 11:47:37 AM »

that's cute! I also like the frames in the background on the table! very halloweenyish Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005 08:12:42 PM »

I want to make one for my dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oohhowpretty

You gotta love Regina

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005 07:46:44 AM »

hehe your dog is too cute its like mine
i wish my doggy was still here i would make this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'maybe you should cut your own hair coz that would be so funny'
DogGrrl
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005 10:26:13 PM »

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!  I am sorry I haven't responded sooner.  I originally tried to do a cover for a leash and collar but it ended up looking really cheesy.  I couldn't get the handle of the leash to look right and the collar cover looked just horrid!  Here is my original post that describes what I finally ended up doing:

Thanks!  It is actually really quick and easy (after I figured out how to FINALLY make it strong enough and not stretch!)

I knit a black eyelash (can't remember the brand) and Orange Fizz.  I really liked the way the orange came through making it look really "Halloweeny"  I knit it in garter stitch doubling the width that I wanted the finish leash to be (around 10-12 stitches or so).  I knit it about 5 feet (4 feet for the leash and 8 to 12 inches for the handle loop.

I found some nylon webbing at a boat supply place and pinned the knittted piece around it and then sewed it on both sides with a light monofiliment making sure I was sewing both the nylon and the knitted part.  I looped it around and made a handle and attached a leash clip to it.  Basically, the webbing is taking on the weight of the dog and knitted part is purely for looks.

For the collar I measured my dog's neck and subtracted about an inch for the buckle (the one drawback - I can't figure how to make them adjustable) knit the piece, sewed a plastic snap buckle on the ends and a D ring in the center.  I found a place in town that sells buckles and stuff but you could also use the hardware from an old leash or collar.

I tested the leash out on both my Catahoula and a Mastiff (the Mastiff pulls on leash) and it held up without any problems at all. (this was made for my 11 lb Cavalier but, better safe than sorry!)

It came out kind of thick but I like it that way because it looks extra fancy!   Now I am going to attempt to make a harness out of lime green Splash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shona
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005 03:28:18 PM »

Your colours are great!! Just the thing for this halloween!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Master Music-Festival Dressing in 3 Looks
3 Fresh Ways To Wear Stripes
Beauty Nation The New Provocateurs: Artists
3 Ways to Wear Pleats
How to Pull Off That Tricky Statement Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...