A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wire hangers?OH Noooooooo  (Read 8489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007 04:45:29 AM »

Not very crafty, but I donate mine to local thrift stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hooksforfeet
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007 04:11:14 PM »

We did this neat thing in my sculture class where you bend up the wire, stick it in a wood block, cover it in panty hose, and then paint it. They're awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
utemama
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007 06:07:02 PM »

cut off the corner ends so you have a v,leaving extra length to bend around,crochet or wrap around these and turn into bag handles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bcrafty
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007 10:59:53 AM »

If they have wire across the bottom, wire hangers can be bent into a wreath shape.  Here are two fun projects

http://www.craftelf.com/Craft_elf_holiday_Easter_wreath.htm
http://www.craftelf.com/Craft_elf_holiday_Halloween_Ghost%20Windsock.htm
The first is an Easter wreath but could be adapted for any season and the second is a Halloween decoration
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katielee
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007 11:26:47 AM »

Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions!   Grin

-kl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

take back your own tonight.
rhino
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007 11:05:54 PM »

oooh i love to work with wire hangers i have made miniature dream catchers crowns fairy wings a body for a handbag.
when it oxidizes its gorgeous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning; my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define. And there you are right there, in the mean time."
Out of Habit (Ani Difranco)
http://www.rhino.etsy.com
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007 04:33:21 AM »

Coathanger Christmas trees http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/coat-hanger-christmas-tree.shtml

I've made a couple of these, also have a few hundred wire coathangers left to find other things to do with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007 11:57:40 AM »

My husband has uniforms that he wears to work and ultimately we end up with hundreds of wire hangers. I put them in the recycle bin but I keep telling myself there has to be a crafty use for them.

I mean come on it only takes one hanging in the utility room bent to the right shape to save me when I have locked my keys in the truck.

I have used them to hang Christmas lights, make mobiles for the kids school projects and even made loops to hang wind chimes. But there is just so many of them and the colors range from a shiny gold to black.

I just don't feel like I am getting my hangers worth HA! so come on all you crafty people help me figure out something really cool to do with this overload of stiff wire.
thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefruidsforest
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007 12:52:45 PM »

I seen these used as candleholders on hgtv.  I think they could be dressed up even more than what's used in the picture if you were to add beads to it and you can always paint the wire for a different color, although I would think if you do paint it you would want to do it after you were already done bending it into shape otherwise the pliers would probably scratch some of the paint off.    Short tutorial here: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_refurbish_accessories/article/0,,HGTV_3484_1399732,00.html 

I've seen napkin ring holders made of wires and bead, maybe the hanger would work for this also?  I'm not sure if the wire hanger would be too thick to work with for this or not. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007 07:57:46 AM »

Wow!
thanks for the idea and its a great one for me. You see my husband is in the MFG industry and we have all the metal working tools I need.
I am all over this idea and thanks!
V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Raspberry Torte
4 Recipe Ideas for Halloween Candy
Non-Dairy Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Jacque Torres’ Cake Decorating Demo
Baking Hamentaschen with the Shaarei Torah Bakers of Portland, Oregon
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...