A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,854
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Infamous Chicken Viking Hat - Now In Crochet! * Tutorial *  (Read 86452 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005 07:16:54 PM »

Hee, that's so funny.  The knit one looks way beyond my capabilities, but I'm looking forward to your tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005 09:42:06 PM »

" OH MY GOD! I F-ing LOVE THAT!!"  (I just screamed that outloud) ... Best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochet hooker12
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005 09:05:02 AM »

You know, I will explode if you dont post a tute soon.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
bespectacled
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005 10:18:37 AM »

WOW I LOVE IT!!!! I can knit, but I prefer crocheted hats.. I can't wait for a tutorial, this is the best hat!! Grin Awesome job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
Carleigh
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005 10:35:20 AM »

lol I love that hat! and I just had to explain to my brother that you can't crochet solid objects. Those drumsticks are stuffed, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
tattooed_dork

physics makes us all it's bitches

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005 10:52:12 AM »

LMAO! best hat ever! that's awesome! i so need a chicken hat! *sigh* damn my lack of crochet/knitting abilities! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence."

support a tattoo craft challenge! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16743580.0
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005 11:10:27 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the nice words, everyone! I do really really hope to have a tutorial coming soon, but I think I may have jumped the gun in posting this, because I'm not quite ready yet, and looking at my schedule coming up this week... eek! I'd better get going.....   I know.. I think I'll post a little tutorial now, and then come clean with the details later, if anyone has questions!   Ok.  

Tutorial for Now:

Use Lion Jiffy Light Pink. It has juuuust enough orange in it to look like chicken skin without being tooo pink.  Beware: This yarn is horrible to rip out (frog stitch) the fuzzies catch like mad.

For the body, I used a size g Hook. For the Drumsticks, I used a size E or D, not important which.

For the drumsticks: Start at the thicker end of the leg. (The bottom). Chain 3, slip stitch to join, 6 sc's in center of the little circle you just made. Only 6! then work around in SC. you will be spiraling, not working in defined rows. (No chaining one to get up to the next row) At first, you'll be increasing alot, like every stitch, then every other stitch or so, and then with 2 or 3 in between increases,eventually, you want to get to the point where you've got around 22 stiches and the whole thing looks like half a sphere. Then stop increasing for a round or two, and then start decreasing (but not too fast! This is where the skill of shaping is born... give it a whirl! This was my very first try, and it totally wasnt too bad!)make it Gradually smaller until you're down to about 7 stiches around, and not quite as long as you want the leg to be.  For the "paper hat" at the end of the legs, I used Red heart "baby Teri".. you can use whatever white stuff you have around, the softer the better, but NOT too bulky. I used baby weight, for example.I just sc around the end of the leg, then started putting 3 or 4 or 5 dc in each stitch. then join to first dc and then you have two options...  the point is to take the big floppy circle you just created and push it flat together so it looks like a fan, and sc or sew the m together at the top in the middle, and then bring up the two ends of the fan to the center, so you have somehing that looks a little like a 4 leaf clover when viewed from directly above, and sc the tops of those two together, and then end off. You could also end off earlier, and use a needle to Sew them together, if sc would look weird in the yarn you have. Here is a picture of what it should look like when finished:

http://www.reachone.com/kent/CVHMultiFootDetail.JPG

http://www.reachone.com/kent/CVHMultiFoot.JPG

oh, ok, so I made 5 lobes instead of 4 like in the instructions. Whatever. Make it however you like it.

There's that, Congratulations, you're on your way to making free-form crochet objects!

Ok the hat part:

This is the way I made THIS hat.  If you don't like the "bumps" then just omit the dc's in the pattern, and it will be without big bumps...  (halfway through, i had a battle with myself about if i liked the bumps or not,  good thing is, if i dont like them, I can push them through to the inside, and then they dont's show!)

This hat is made in the round up to the brim, and then it is turned inside-out, and then the brim is worked. Here is a pic of what it looks like at that point:  (Same color yarn, only, in the sun!) AND I have all the bumps still sticking out on the "Right side" which is of course on the INside right now, and so this is a good example of what it looks like WITHOUT bumps.

http://www.reachone.com/kent/CVH-IOPreFlaps.jpg

Ok. So. The reason I turn it inside out, is because, especially using this yarn, the inside looks a lot like chicken skin all by itself!

So, the hat: I followed these instructions kind of loosely:

NOTE!  In THIS part of the hat, always stitch in both loops. No the front one, or the back one, both.

1: Ch 1, 6 sc in circle, join to first sc.

2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc across. Join to first sc

3: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next) around. (You can Spiral now, if you wish, I did)

4: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1in next 2) around.

5: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 3) around.

6: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 4) around.

7: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 5) around.

8: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 6) around.

9: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 7) around.

10: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next Cool around.

11: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 9) around.

12: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 10) around.

13: Ch 1, (2 sc in next sc, 1 in next 11) around.

14-27: Ch 1, sc in each sc around. Join.

End off.

But to make the bumps, you have to just eyeball it. Here's how to make a bump:

You noticet that this is starting to be a good placement for a bump. Without losing track of the counting you're doing for the hat:  Make a very looose dc (pull the yo yarn out more than you usually would, both times during making the dc.) and then IN THE SAME SPACE, make a tight sc. Then move on. Now, when you come to a bump that was made on the previous row, be sure to skip that dc stitch and sc tightly the next stitch. That will cause the bump to stick out better, and also for you not to accidentally increase because you're making all these 'extra' dc stitches.  For bump placement: you really have to eyeball it. It doesnt need to be perfect. You'll get the hang of it really quick. I make 3 or 4 bumps spaced out from each other in the 3rd or 4th row of the hat, and just stagger them from there.  If you choose not to do bumps, your hat making will be much less complicated. I ended up having to use a stitch marker alot, because in all the excitement of making bumps, I OFTEN lost track of stitches inbetween increases. Eventually, I just marked every increase i made, and re-counted when i felt like another one should be coming up.  

Ok, this post is getting too long, so see page 3 for the rest! Sorry to have to split it up. I gotta. 10000 character limit. This could be a thesis...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011 04:00:04 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochet hooker12
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005 12:30:38 PM »

I feel so complete. I'm going to try to make it now. I'll try to keep some notes to compare with yours, skullseamstress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005 02:08:57 PM »

good good!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005 10:18:07 PM by skullseamstress » THIS ROCKS   Logged
claudiaginger13
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005 03:59:31 PM »

OMG-gotta make a "suntan" one for Thanksgiving cook this year-lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Five Essential Make-Up Items, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Sensitive Skin In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...