A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soda blue plastic  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

philodendron5
« on: April 11, 2004 12:24:25 PM »

I've been collecting the blue plastic piece that comes inside the lid of plastic soda bottles FOREVER. Now I have a few thousand of them (once people hear you're collecting something strange they seem to want to help.. yay for wacky art classes with crazy students!) Now, I want to do something with them.  I was thinking of maybe joining them together and then layering them as a translucent curtain.. or perhaps layering them over a piece of foam for a bathroom rug... I know that people make bracelets out of them... I could probably do both the amount that I have... I want to do something really great and interesting with them  just to stick it to any naysayers in my life Tongue. .. (granted some of ideas do drown... never make a throne out of used tires... Grin)Any suggestions?

ps I LOVE this site. I've been lurking around for a few months and I just got the nerve to become a member. YIPEE! Yay for crafty peopleof the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
Cherry Cola

Do crafts not drugs!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004 02:26:53 PM »

Brilliance!!  Shocked

Ideas:

- Clothing: dress, skirt, etc. Not very practical mind you...

- Purse: my personal favorite idea. You could probably attach them with jump rings to form a sheet, and use a string of tabs for the strap

- Earings: one tab per earring, might look cute.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
- Cherry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask him if he likes fondue and macram.
allisonwonderland
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004 09:10:04 AM »

I love the idea about the curtain..I have a question for you..what is the easiest way to get this out of the cap without scraping ot all up or tearing it?I have a hard time getting them out sometimes(maybe its the cheap soda I drink..hahhah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004 09:54:46 AM »

woah, me too. i have a shoebox full of soda cap liners that say "sorry, please try again." (they are really easy to find on the ground)

i was always planning to cover a table top with them, but i really like your curtain idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
philodendron5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004 11:13:14 AM »

hrmm a table that would be totally liquid resistant.. very interesting indeed! =)

~~ The blue plastic liners that I get come from mostly Coke products. Pepsi products glue the liners down for some reason. (lame-o's.) The liners in coke products just pop out. ~~~

they might make a really cool purse. I did make a purse out of cone reflectors that's pretty cool.. could do the same thing...

I'M GLAD THAT THERE'S MORE PEOPLE COLLECTING THIS THINGS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004 11:48:52 AM »

Hee!  I have truly found my community...I thought I was the only one who collected these things because "I ought to be able to find something cool to do with them!"

I've tried connecting them with jump rings, which works well.  Using this method, you could make bracelets, or put them together like chain mail to make the clothes and purses mentioned above.

The project that I've had in mind for mine is to make a silly hat with them.  I'd start with a turban-like cloth hat, probably white satin or a color that would look cool through the layers of blue plastic. Then I'd make one hole at the edge of each tab and attach them all over the hat, like fishscale sequins.  Lastly, I'd use something like many pieces of thin wire or strong fishing cord, with a circle or two attached to the end of each, to create a tuft at the top of the crown.  Ideally, the circles would be tightly packed enough to stand up slightly, creating an interesting texture, and attached in such a way that they would move when you moved your head, for maximum silliness.  

My inspiration for this idea was late-60s sci-fi fashions, Esther Williams movies, and a hat worn by the character Vulnavia in the last scenes of the movie "The Abominable Dr. Phibes."  Until I have a plan for wearing the hat, though, it's hard for me to justify the huge amount of time that would go into making it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Tall Anime Characters
How to Design Anime Hair for Girls
How to Illustrate Anime Eyes
How to Illustrate Anime Boys
How to Illustrate Anime Wings
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...