A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Knitted Anything - Creepy Bunny  (Read 6819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 11, 2004 11:47:37 AM »

I did it!!  I finished my very first ever knitted anything.  The pattern came from a vintage knitting book circa early 1970's, and was actually for a floppy-eared, pompom covered dog.  It was a creepy-looking dog, as many of the stuffed animals from that period appearantly were.  It had sewn on felt features, and a pompom on every foot, plus one on the head.  Well, I modified it to make it suitable for easter.  I only put on one pompom, on the butt, instead of the knitted tail the pattern called for, improvised some bunny ears and did my facial features via embroidery instead of felt, plus I added a little embroidered heart on the chest.  And here he is, Creepy Bunny:  (Nothing better than scaring the children on Easter!)

I'm so freakin' proud of myself I can hardly speak.  You know that old adage about teaching old dogs new tricks?  Well, I've been feeling pretty much like an old dog of late, and never thought I'd succeed in learning this new hobby, but I've proved myself wrong!  He's all just garter stitch, and my seams aren't great, but I'm sure that will improve with practice (or a genuine desire for the seams to be less noticable, which wasn't really there for this project.  I just wanted to get him put together and into her Easter Basket!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004 12:09:40 PM »

wow!  you brave soul, you, knittin' up a bunny like it was nothing at all.  i'm still on scarves and i've been at it for 2 years!  nice going-and i don't think it's horribly creepy...unless that's what you were going for, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004 01:08:45 PM »

Thanks!

The bunny certainly isn't as creepy as the dog was, but it's not really very bunny-like.

I thought about starting with a scarf or something, but since it was starting to be spring-like here, and I was very excited about it, the thought of knitting a scarf was just depressing, so I went with something less wintery.  It said in the book that it was a beginner's project, and since beginner I was, I guess I didn't know better than to start with something like that.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magique_squid
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004 02:35:33 PM »

lmao I love it! I've been trying to make this little knitted stuffed horse thing but the instructions don't make sence and I think i will have to unravel him Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004 08:44:26 PM »

Hi there, I'm new here and I'm leaving lurkdom to comment on your "creepy bunny"...I think it's cute!  It is soooo 70's and it's great.  You are a brave one to start with something like that--I think i just did washcloths for months!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004 08:52:38 PM »

I feel privilaged to be the cause of your first post!  More to come, I hope!

You guys keep saying I'm brave.  Is it really that unusual to start with something like this?  Will I be considered a veritable Beowulf that my second ever project is a little striped baby cardigan?  (And I'm halfway done with the back already!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sneeg
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004 08:37:54 PM »

You guys keep saying I'm brave.  Is it really that unusual to start with something like this?  Will I be considered a veritable Beowulf that my second ever project is a little striped baby cardigan?  (And I'm halfway done with the back already!)

I love your bunny - I'm of the "go big or go home" variety and I only wish I had started with something so bold and with so much character.

I actually started with mittens and a hat with a border pattern after I did my first "washcloth" (out of wool, hey, it was the yarn that was laying around) and I'm glad that I did - the challenge of really having to figure out what was going on was what got me hooked on knitting.  The first six months were fantastic as my brain slowly figured out the 3D structures of how knitting actually holds together and makes textures.  And now, two years later, I still love that ah-ha! moment when I figure something new out (this week, I did my first successful mattress stitch seam and it felt *great*).

So, good luck with the cardigan!  I bet you'll have a lot of fun with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap info: www.projectjanel.org/swap/index.html
I have wisted some fabrics, but they are just to give an idea of what I like: www.wists.com/sneeg
I like personal swaps, PM me if you're interested
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004 09:50:11 AM »

lmao I love it! I've been trying to make this little knitted stuffed horse thing but the instructions don't make sence and I think i will have to unravel him Cry

Where did you get a pattern for that.  It's sounds so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004 09:52:49 AM »

I know what you mean.  My first "project" (although I never finished it) was a "scarf" just to learn the stitches.  But after an hour or so of that I went straight on to a beanie which my "aunt" told me that she wouldn't even attempt yet and she's been knitting longer than I have.  My second real project is the tank top from knitty.  I personally think it's just a matter of figuring out the stitch...after that it seems anything can be done rather easy.  Directions are the bane of my existence though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Milkfiend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004 10:52:53 AM »

is there any online patterns for knitting i really wanna make a scarf just so i can say i made it and know that i can make for future things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teenager  with crafty tendencies
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Tips - How to Prevent Blur
Capturing Images
Lighting Techniques
Photography Tips - How to Protect Camera Lens
How to Use a Neutral Density Graduated Filter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...