A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best yarn for washcloths?  (Read 2854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnittyMomma

28 Her children arise and call her blessed

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2005 08:48:17 PM »

I've recently became addicted to washcloth patterns just because they go so quickly. I am almost done with one I started today using Bernat Cotton Tots but I don't think it's gonna be very good as a washcloth just because it keeps pilling. Anyone know a good yarn to use. Perferably pretty cheap...I'm a frugal knitter with 2 kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittymomma.blogspot.com

Proverbs 31:28-29

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
       her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
       but you surpass them all."
NoelleNoodle
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005 09:06:31 PM »

Lily's Sugar n Cream or Lion Brand's kitchen cotton are super super cheap (like 1.99 to 3.99 a ball and you can get 2-4 cloths out of one ball) and is fairly tough for pot scrubbers, dishcloths and washcloths.

I've seen chenille used for washcloths but those would be more expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnittyMomma

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 09:22:20 PM »

ok thanks! i hate using bar soap...just grosses me out to share soap with someone and have it sitting in the tub! yuck! so I'm a big advocate of liquid body wash and I really wanted a nice big set of handknitted washcloths for use when the kids and i take our baths! Hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joesherryw
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005 10:08:14 PM »

I have to second the sugar and cream yarn. My grandmother swears by it, she got me hooked, my theory is if Grandma has been using it for all these years it must be great. My first washcloth has held up for a year. Sorry I'm rambling, it's just the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnittyMomma

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005 11:01:47 PM »

i like sugar and cream...it was my very first yarn...Michaels here has it on sale for 99 cents like once a month so it's super cheap to stock up on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlenecy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 04:50:08 PM »

I use Sugar and Cream, too. I knit a stack of dishcloths and they have been used, abused, washed, dried, and still look nice! I'm under orders to face cloths for my children in their favorite colors! But... they're going to have to wait!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RomBookLover

All I hear is blah, blah, blah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005 05:22:14 AM »

One word: Hemp.  Problem is that it isn't cheap.  Sorry.

~ Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005 07:50:42 PM »

Sugar-n-Cream gets my vote too. Cheap, pretty colors, and durable. Its actually one of my favorite yarns to work with. Also great for making small matching hand towels to go with your cloths, and making 'car wash' towels....my truck-washing-obsessed b/friend loves his!  Im also making bikinis out of this yarn..so far they are turning out very well.
Happy Knitting 2U !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005 10:42:08 AM »

My LYS had cotton chenille on sale, so I bought a skein, but haven't done anything with it. I think this would be MY washcloth/mitt (folded in half and seamed on 2 sides).

Sugar & Cream is good. Everyone's already chimed in on that.

I have one friend who was so excited about knitting with "good" yarn that she bought hanks of really nice cotton (about $4 each, yields 1 cloth, with leftovers) and went nuts. Very nice, and very soft, but it was mostly the colors she was excited about. The coolest one was Nature's Cotton, which was a nubby, thick & thin cotton. Not necessary, but, like I said, she loved the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeymaker

my eyes!! my eyes!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005 11:43:32 AM »

i've been using Walmart's brand called 'Peaches & Cream'. i've knit a bunch and they hold up really well to rough use and multiple washings. they have some nice colors too and they're only about $1.29 ea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm leaning on my shovel in this graveyard of dreams ~ devil makes three
princesskate
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005 07:09:04 PM »

I also make scrubbies - either for exfoliating or for dishes from tulle. Just get one of those tubes of tulle (about 6 inches long) at Joanns or other big box store, cut the whole tube in half tulle and all (I use a sharp knife and just hack away at it - don't worry about even edges). Then just take the strips and knit away into a square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005 03:21:36 AM »

I also make scrubbies - either for exfoliating or for dishes from tulle....
Thats a great idea!!

Heres a cool link I found with patterns of the 50 States for cotton cloths. Im going to try and make my state.
(Also has Canadian Provinces)
http://www.knittingknonsense.com/index3.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
czarina
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005 04:45:57 PM »

I bought some great mid-priced cotton called "Aunt Lydia's Denim Quick Crochet" at a Hobby Lobby. It came on a big ball, and I was able to get three or so washcloths out of one ball... It was just a little nicer than Sugar'n'Cream, which tends to fuzz up after a few washings...

I found a great bath mitt pattern on the Interweave Knits website a few months back. It used a quality cotton and wove in chenille to make a good scrubby bath mitt. I'm making a few for gifts... If that's your thing, poke around and see if it's still there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005 08:24:12 PM »

I bought some great mid-priced cotton called "Aunt Lydia's Denim Quick Crochet" .........

I bought some of that Aunt Lydias Denim too...two in blue & one in rose color. Im actually trying to make a small light-weight poncho in the blue color right now (to match my jeans). Its just a simple rectangle-type pattern and I hope it 'hangs' correctly when Im done with it. But I definately love the Aunt Lydias Denim! I,d buy it again for the value & quality, but its kinda' hard to find here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hst
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005 07:19:12 AM »

I have used Peaches and Cream from Wal-Mart.  It's cheap and durable, but the colors do not last at all.  So if you are just going for function I would recomend that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittyMomma

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005 01:15:29 PM »

Heres a cool link I found with patterns of the 50 States for cotton cloths. Im going to try and make my state.
(Also has Canadian Provinces)
[/quote]

thanks for posting this! i went and looked around her site and right now I'm doing the letters "T" and "C" for my sons and then I'm gonna do the whole alphabet for a blanket hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jelly
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005 01:47:58 PM »

Crochet Me has a feature article on this:

http://www.crochetme.com/Aug_Sept_2005/feat_cotton.html

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005 02:02:17 PM »

i'm surprised no one has mentioned this one so far, but i use bernat's handicrafter cotton. it comes in lots of nice colors (plain and variegated) and is really nice for making dishcloths, and i imagine washcloths too. pilling is really limited and you don't have to give it any special treatment when washing/drying.

hth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
Debzzzbee
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005 08:33:45 PM »

thanks for posting this! i went and looked around her site and right now I'm doing the letters "T" and "C" for my sons and then I'm gonna do the whole alphabet for a blanket hehe

Your Welcome! And I forgot about the alphabet patterns when I posted it for the 50 States. I would like to see that blanket (or some of your WIP while you make that!)   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittyMomma

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005 11:23:00 AM »

i got the T done (messed up on one line paying too much attention to big brother but eh!) and it's posted on my blog http://knittymomma.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Lipsticks For Summer, Products For Eyebrows, and Sunscreen
How to Get Polka Dot Nails With Katie Hughes
Givenchy Brings Leather to the Lipstick Counter
Nail Trends: Decals and Adhesives
Nail Trends: Fine Art at Your Fingertips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...