A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cake Topper (Fisher Price Little People)  (Read 5057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

razzly
« on: August 08, 2005 06:58:05 PM »

Me and my hubby wanted to make our wedding as personalized as possible and try to break outta the "wedding mold" Tongue (I was lucky enough to have a fiance that actually insisted on helping out!)

One of our fun projects was the cake topper. We sat down and tried to come up with ideas that appealed to both of us, and we had both played with the Fisher Price Little People when we were kiddos! So we looked on Ebay and checked out the thrift stores for the ones that weren't like the modern day squat-chubby ones, but the ones we actually had back in the 80's. We found the ones we wanted on ebay for fairly cheap (generally $0.99 a piece or for a set of 3 or 4 depending on if there's rare ones in the lot). These also work great because they have that thinner part below their body's that would go in the holes of their chairs or cars or whatnot, and just sink that part of them into the cake! Then noworries about them falling over (cuz her veil pushes her over on her face! LOL )

His was fairly easy for the groom. We just ordered a Circus Ring Master for his (LOL he liked the one with the funny mustache!!). And I ordered the "Mom" with the yellow hair and the blue body with the "Samantha Stevens" eyes from Bewitched. (Anyways, that's who those eyes reminded me of as a kid anywas hehe Tongue ) Well, I have black hair, and was wearing a white dress, so I had to do some painting.

I very lightly sanded down the Bride and used 2 layers of white primer paint on her hair and her body. Then I used a semi-gloss white we had at the house, and semi-gloss black for the hair. Both regular Latex Non-Toxic house paints. (Be sure the paint you use, if you do this type of project, is NonToxic, cuz it'll be touching your cake Tongue ).

After she dried for a day or two (wanted to be double triple sure being I was a nervous bride and didn't want ANYTHING to go wrong Tongue ) I then hot glued on her veil with a scrap I had cut from some of our left over tulle we used for decorating the church and topped it off with some ribbon left over from our homemade invites and some "pearls". They were the talk of the reception! Cheesy

Hope every bride and groom here has equally fun and cute projects to add personality to your wedding!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005 07:02:08 PM »

That is hillarious and great - people laughed at mine.  I used Bratz dolls (the little ones) and made them look like my hubby and I.  We rock / mountain climb so I made little harnesses and ropes that hung down and got 2 dogs and painted them to look like ours.  People laughed at first, but we both loved them and people still talk about them.  Good job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
razzly
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 07:03:05 PM »

Oh! That sounds awesome! Do you have any pics??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005 06:09:12 AM »

I have tons, but none that are on cd and I don't have a scanner... Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss. blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
Arksiel
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 06:16:42 AM »

That is hillarious and great - people laughed at mine.  I used Bratz dolls (the little ones) and made them look like my hubby and I.  We rock / mountain climb so I made little harnesses and ropes that hung down and got 2 dogs and painted them to look like ours.  People laughed at first, but we both loved them and people still talk about them.  Good job!!!!

ooh, another climber. I imagine the piccy of you is somewhere like red rocks, or smith rock, or boulder, etcetera? I can just imagine little harnesses et all...great way to personalize a bit more!

this is such a cute idea! I was going through my room and found a ton of little people, and had the same thought when I saw the little dude with the tux. I dont seem to have the woman in white anymore, however! because we did actually have a bride type one at some point.

but this is so awesome, thanks for the pic, and the affirmation that I am not insane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 06:31:25 AM »

Just adorable.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005 07:47:16 AM »

Awwww...that's so cute...great idea. For my wedding, my husband and I had LEGO cake topper. I contacted lego cause I wanted to know if they sold individual bride and groom people because we originally wanted to give those out as our wedding favors...but they do not sell them, but they do send out FREE cake toppers.  So I submitted my name and a couple months later...I got a cute cake topper...a little man in a tux and a bride (came with a alter type thing too). I also told them that my husband has red/orange hair so they sent me some orange hair as well as a top hat...so cute. Anyhoo, everyone loved it and now they sit on my kitchen window ...and I get to see em everyday.

If anyone loves lego as my husband and I do, and your planning to get married...e-mail lego and see if they still give em away free.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
rumble_pie
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005 10:45:56 PM »

oh razzly!!   those are great, great, great!  they totally resonate with me...holy cow, i remember that ringmaster and the "samantha stevens"-eyed mom (accurate description!)

you should be very proud.  congrats on being married...wishing health, happiness, and adventure to you and your husband!

xo
r.p.

p.s.  you signed up for craftster on my birthday.  yay : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 06:42:54 PM »

This is my take on the Little People topper.  I loved this idea from the moment I saw it -- thank you so much for posting it!  I deconstructed a thrift-store topper, repainted Little People from eBay, then fired up the hot glue gun and this is what I came up with. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007 11:57:52 AM »

all so super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a Double Wall Vessel - Part 2
An Experimental Fired Piece
How to make a Small Marbled Vessel with Two Clays
How to make a Medium Sized Bowl 3 - Glazing and Firing
How to Get a Raku Style Firing with Horse Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...