A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk pouches, coin purse and bags [lots of pics]  (Read 11421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goddess
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004 09:04:08 PM »

Man, you've been a busy bee!
those are INCREDIBLE
I have to make the butterfly pouch, would you mind sharing how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004 07:58:39 PM »

just wanted to let you know that i'm so inspired i ordered the omiyage book today online. now i just have to wait by the mailbox for it to arrive. i'm sooo excited. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ancomangel

Crazy crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004 05:41:10 AM »

omg!*drools*those are sooooo nice!great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004 06:11:09 AM »

Sarah, the Omiyage book really rocks!  You'll love it, I promise.  Really good directions, and the patterns are right there in the book, you just need to trace them or zerox.  I made the little fish bag (no scanner or digi-cam, sorry!) the other night, but when I zeroxed off the pattern I enlarged it too.  It's an excellent way to use up little bitty scraps of cool fabric- alot of the projects you only need maybe a 6-inch square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moominvalley
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004 08:03:08 AM »

3 words...love them all Grin
A tutorial of the cute pouches would be great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004 11:24:28 AM »

Thanks everyone for your lovely words!  I am so glad you liked them!

Becky hit the nail on the head - The three pouches are made from patterns from the book Omiyage by Kumiko Sudo (the rest of them are all free-form patterns I did).  She has many interesting books out about quilting also - quilting with a Japanese flair, that is.  I very strongly recommend her book to everyone!  You don't even need to use Japanese silks to make these from - you can use any fabric you like :]  That is the beauty of it.  Also - I found her books along with the photos taught me to try all different sorts of non-traditional colour combinations (well, traditional for Japanese - but non-traditional for Westerners!).  Very inspiring.  I have a couple of other books like Omiyage - but, they are all written in Japanese and it takes a bit of working out on how to do things.

I am not sure what the copyright policies are on this forum in relation to giving tutorials and instructions of patterns from books currently in print - so I don't know if giving a tutorial about the butterfly or bird would be okay?

I could probably do a tutorial on the daffodil pouch though - just a step by step photographic tutorial ... as the pattern is a very basic, common pattern.

I will say though, Omiyage, and quite a few of Kumiko Sudo's books are easily available from your local library..so you could always borrow them to check it out.  I also think purchasing the book is well worth the investment on more levels than one :]  When ever I am stuck for inspriation - I ALWAYS sit down and look through Omiyage, even if I don't make anything from it :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
girlnamedema
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004 12:37:03 PM »

"bag one" is lovely. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the hottest ugly chick in the world.
penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004 01:19:24 PM »

Those are so beautiful.  Very well made and lovely fabric choices.  I love making stuff from the Omiyage book.  Here is the thread for the stuff I have made:

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2511;start=msg17458#msg17458

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004 04:04:11 PM »

becky, i got the book in the mail today. just looking at it now..i have so many scraps it will be awesome.

penguingrrl i checked out the ones you made and they are sooo pretty too. very inspiring.

i'll post mine when i get them made. the first problem is going to be deciding which one to make first  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004 04:40:54 PM »

pucchi- I am not sure about the copyright issue either, since her book has an entire class outline in the back, like she apparantly thinks it's okay for you to teach a class using her patterns, even though the book has the standard copyright stuff in front.  I haven't ever seen anyone do that in a book before.

I was gonna say, the daffodil or the chrysanthemum- even the marble bag- are such basic shapes, I mean, that chrysanthemum is just two squares of fabric!  And the daffodil!  I dunno.

So far I have made the Goldfish and the Raindrop.  I did the Goldfish out of a lightweight cotton that looks like denim, with the lining and fins made out of a red bandanna-looking print.  Definately not Japanese looking, but it turned out really cool!  The Raindrop I did out of a light blue cotton with little flowers on it, with a fabric flower accent.  They turn out just fine in quilt-weight cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...