A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk pouches, coin purse and bags [lots of pics]  (Read 10585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goddess
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004 09:04:08 PM »

Man, you've been a busy bee!
those are INCREDIBLE
I have to make the butterfly pouch, would you mind sharing how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004 07:58:39 PM »

just wanted to let you know that i'm so inspired i ordered the omiyage book today online. now i just have to wait by the mailbox for it to arrive. i'm sooo excited. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ancomangel

Crazy crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004 05:41:10 AM »

omg!*drools*those are sooooo nice!great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004 06:11:09 AM »

Sarah, the Omiyage book really rocks!  You'll love it, I promise.  Really good directions, and the patterns are right there in the book, you just need to trace them or zerox.  I made the little fish bag (no scanner or digi-cam, sorry!) the other night, but when I zeroxed off the pattern I enlarged it too.  It's an excellent way to use up little bitty scraps of cool fabric- alot of the projects you only need maybe a 6-inch square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moominvalley
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004 08:03:08 AM »

3 words...love them all Grin
A tutorial of the cute pouches would be great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004 11:24:28 AM »

Thanks everyone for your lovely words!  I am so glad you liked them!

Becky hit the nail on the head - The three pouches are made from patterns from the book Omiyage by Kumiko Sudo (the rest of them are all free-form patterns I did).  She has many interesting books out about quilting also - quilting with a Japanese flair, that is.  I very strongly recommend her book to everyone!  You don't even need to use Japanese silks to make these from - you can use any fabric you like :]  That is the beauty of it.  Also - I found her books along with the photos taught me to try all different sorts of non-traditional colour combinations (well, traditional for Japanese - but non-traditional for Westerners!).  Very inspiring.  I have a couple of other books like Omiyage - but, they are all written in Japanese and it takes a bit of working out on how to do things.

I am not sure what the copyright policies are on this forum in relation to giving tutorials and instructions of patterns from books currently in print - so I don't know if giving a tutorial about the butterfly or bird would be okay?

I could probably do a tutorial on the daffodil pouch though - just a step by step photographic tutorial ... as the pattern is a very basic, common pattern.

I will say though, Omiyage, and quite a few of Kumiko Sudo's books are easily available from your local library..so you could always borrow them to check it out.  I also think purchasing the book is well worth the investment on more levels than one :]  When ever I am stuck for inspriation - I ALWAYS sit down and look through Omiyage, even if I don't make anything from it :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
girlnamedema
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004 12:37:03 PM »

"bag one" is lovely. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the hottest ugly chick in the world.
penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004 01:19:24 PM »

Those are so beautiful.  Very well made and lovely fabric choices.  I love making stuff from the Omiyage book.  Here is the thread for the stuff I have made:

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2511;start=msg17458#msg17458

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004 04:04:11 PM »

becky, i got the book in the mail today. just looking at it now..i have so many scraps it will be awesome.

penguingrrl i checked out the ones you made and they are sooo pretty too. very inspiring.

i'll post mine when i get them made. the first problem is going to be deciding which one to make first  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004 04:40:54 PM »

pucchi- I am not sure about the copyright issue either, since her book has an entire class outline in the back, like she apparantly thinks it's okay for you to teach a class using her patterns, even though the book has the standard copyright stuff in front.  I haven't ever seen anyone do that in a book before.

I was gonna say, the daffodil or the chrysanthemum- even the marble bag- are such basic shapes, I mean, that chrysanthemum is just two squares of fabric!  And the daffodil!  I dunno.

So far I have made the Goldfish and the Raindrop.  I did the Goldfish out of a lightweight cotton that looks like denim, with the lining and fins made out of a red bandanna-looking print.  Definately not Japanese looking, but it turned out really cool!  The Raindrop I did out of a light blue cotton with little flowers on it, with a fabric flower accent.  They turn out just fine in quilt-weight cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Menus for Your Games in Flash
How to Add a Foggy Effect to Your Images
A Photoshop Introduction
How to Setup Photoshop
How to Use the Magic Eraser in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...