A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,497
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk pouches, coin purse and bags [lots of pics]  (Read 10997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2004 10:09:40 AM »

Hi There!  I thought I would post some of my other projects, aside from the hairpins I posted previously.

Most of these are made from traditional Japanese patterns except the bags and coinpurse, I free-formed those myself.  For most of the part, all the pouches and coinpurses are made of silk with cotton lining.  Two of the bags are made with black corderoy and silk, with cotton lining.  A lot of these required hand sewing, which was a pain in the buttocks...but I think the end result was worth it :]

Please excuse the poor quality of my photographs.  I need to remember to stop taking photos in the middle of the night with bad lighting.  eep!

Daffodil pouch:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch1.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch1b.jpg

Birdy Pouch:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch2.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch2b.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch2c.jpg

Butterfly Pouch:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch3.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/pouch3a.jpg

Coin Purse:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/coinpurse1.jpg

Hair Bobble!
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/bobble.jpg

Bag One:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/bag1.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/bag1b.jpg

Bag Two:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/bag2.jpg
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/bag2b.jpg

Traditional Basket Bag:
http://www.pucchimaiko.com/crafts/ba3.jpg

Thank you for looking :]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011 12:24:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004 10:44:16 AM »

Those are so beautiful! I bet they would sell really well at a craft fair. The butterfly is definitely my fav!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
Roxiemeow13
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004 01:41:54 PM »

Those are awesome! I love the dafodil pouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxie
Look at the stars,
look how they shine for you,
and all the things you do.

http://www.roomwithamoose.com/goodies/icons/moose_rubber.gifwww.geocities.com/defdt
Cherry Cola

Do crafts not drugs!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004 02:42:58 PM »

The pouches are definitely my favorites. They're so dainty, but awesome!

I definitely agree with wasabipeasrule, they would sell really well at a craft fair. Even consignment might be a good option if you want to sell your wares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask him if he likes fondue and macram.
melissago
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004 04:42:47 PM »

those are quite the creations. i really liked the bird pouches. they all look so delicate though.

thanks for posting.
<3melissago
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004 05:05:58 PM »

as beautiful and inspiring as the hairpins. do you think you could post a tutorial of these too?

great work, hand sewing is a bit more time consuming but well worth it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Fox

Domestic Kitsune and Art Slave

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004 06:00:36 PM »

These are lovely, just like your hair pins. I especially like the butterfly and bird (I love animals). I'm sure it would be really hard to post a tutorial for something so intricate, but are there any books you could recommend, on this specifically, or on Japanese crafts in general?

I'm an Art major, and a Japanese language minor, and I really should make more connections between the two...

~Crafty Fox
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004 06:56:54 PM »

This is so wierd!  Just today I was looking thru my Omiyage book trying to decide which one I wanna try to do!  Your stuff turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReddKatt

Art is water for the soul <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004 08:44:47 PM »

I LOVE the butterfly and daffodil pouches. Those are just gorgeous!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathie in Maryland
Photographer, mom of 2 girls (Brenna, 16yrs & Quinn 14 mths)
~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~**~
Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness.- Mark Twain
SarahFroggy
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004 08:53:07 PM »

This is so wierd!  Just today I was looking thru my Omiyage book trying to decide which one I wanna try to do!  Your stuff turned out great!

*running to the book store*i really want to try this. i'm all about cute little things and love hand sewing. not to mention being a quilter too i have zillions of scraps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004 09:05:14 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004 09:04:08 PM »

Man, you've been a busy bee!
those are INCREDIBLE
I have to make the butterfly pouch, would you mind sharing how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004 07:58:39 PM »

just wanted to let you know that i'm so inspired i ordered the omiyage book today online. now i just have to wait by the mailbox for it to arrive. i'm sooo excited. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ancomangel

Crazy crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004 05:41:10 AM »

omg!*drools*those are sooooo nice!great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004 06:11:09 AM »

Sarah, the Omiyage book really rocks!  You'll love it, I promise.  Really good directions, and the patterns are right there in the book, you just need to trace them or zerox.  I made the little fish bag (no scanner or digi-cam, sorry!) the other night, but when I zeroxed off the pattern I enlarged it too.  It's an excellent way to use up little bitty scraps of cool fabric- alot of the projects you only need maybe a 6-inch square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moominvalley
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004 08:03:08 AM »

3 words...love them all Grin
A tutorial of the cute pouches would be great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004 11:24:28 AM »

Thanks everyone for your lovely words!  I am so glad you liked them!

Becky hit the nail on the head - The three pouches are made from patterns from the book Omiyage by Kumiko Sudo (the rest of them are all free-form patterns I did).  She has many interesting books out about quilting also - quilting with a Japanese flair, that is.  I very strongly recommend her book to everyone!  You don't even need to use Japanese silks to make these from - you can use any fabric you like :]  That is the beauty of it.  Also - I found her books along with the photos taught me to try all different sorts of non-traditional colour combinations (well, traditional for Japanese - but non-traditional for Westerners!).  Very inspiring.  I have a couple of other books like Omiyage - but, they are all written in Japanese and it takes a bit of working out on how to do things.

I am not sure what the copyright policies are on this forum in relation to giving tutorials and instructions of patterns from books currently in print - so I don't know if giving a tutorial about the butterfly or bird would be okay?

I could probably do a tutorial on the daffodil pouch though - just a step by step photographic tutorial ... as the pattern is a very basic, common pattern.

I will say though, Omiyage, and quite a few of Kumiko Sudo's books are easily available from your local library..so you could always borrow them to check it out.  I also think purchasing the book is well worth the investment on more levels than one :]  When ever I am stuck for inspriation - I ALWAYS sit down and look through Omiyage, even if I don't make anything from it :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
girlnamedema
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004 12:37:03 PM »

"bag one" is lovely. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the hottest ugly chick in the world.
penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004 01:19:24 PM »

Those are so beautiful.  Very well made and lovely fabric choices.  I love making stuff from the Omiyage book.  Here is the thread for the stuff I have made:

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2511;start=msg17458#msg17458

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004 04:04:11 PM »

becky, i got the book in the mail today. just looking at it now..i have so many scraps it will be awesome.

penguingrrl i checked out the ones you made and they are sooo pretty too. very inspiring.

i'll post mine when i get them made. the first problem is going to be deciding which one to make first  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004 04:40:54 PM »

pucchi- I am not sure about the copyright issue either, since her book has an entire class outline in the back, like she apparantly thinks it's okay for you to teach a class using her patterns, even though the book has the standard copyright stuff in front.  I haven't ever seen anyone do that in a book before.

I was gonna say, the daffodil or the chrysanthemum- even the marble bag- are such basic shapes, I mean, that chrysanthemum is just two squares of fabric!  And the daffodil!  I dunno.

So far I have made the Goldfish and the Raindrop.  I did the Goldfish out of a lightweight cotton that looks like denim, with the lining and fins made out of a red bandanna-looking print.  Definately not Japanese looking, but it turned out really cool!  The Raindrop I did out of a light blue cotton with little flowers on it, with a fabric flower accent.  They turn out just fine in quilt-weight cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2004 05:54:32 PM »

becky. i totally want to make the fish just gotta wait till exams are over. i think the squirrel is funny it looks more like a turtle to me. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eropunkish

gimme gimme that thing called love

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2004 08:39:48 PM »

The purses and pouches are so sweet!  I might have to go investigate this Omiyage...amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintage vixens, traveling the line
swirling words across a page, if you would have it

wist - - >  http://www.wists.com/seabass_sews
SarahFroggy
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004 10:33:53 PM »

so i got the book yesterday and looked through it a million times and then tonight after my exam i made one. though i'd start easy and work up. less frustration. here's my first attempt. its the daffodil hope you like it

thanks for suggesting the book!!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2004 08:41:11 AM »

It looks fantastic!  The colours work gorgeously with each other!  What do you think you will make next?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2004 06:15:32 PM »

pucchimaiko this is my next one..i made it  today on our mini road trip to joann's fabrics.... but i am making something different tonight. going to try out the bird in light blue ultra suede type fabric. will post when its done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2004 06:35:18 PM »

I love it!!!  The colours are fantastic!

What type of fabric did you use for these two?  

(the book is wonderful in getting the creative juices flowing, right? :])
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2004 06:41:50 PM »

the fabric is just 100% cottons. my fabric obsession started with quilting (i'm a weird young quilter only 23) so i have millions of different patterns and colours all cottons. this book is a fun new way to use them cause after making two quilts for christmas i'm a little quilted out. i posted one of the gift quilts and the other one which was my first ever made here http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=5011&start=0

i love the book i read it over like 4 times in the car today cause the daffodil pouch didn't last even half the car ride it was too quick to make.

i want to make the fish too but can't decide on the colours.

i'm starting to think of new shapes for pouches using the same hem with drawstring idea at the top of the bag.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2004 07:44:08 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2004 08:07:49 PM »

"just" 100% cottons?  I think they are more than "just"! :]

I tend to stick mainly with just silk and silk blends and Japanese cottons (from summer kimonos).  But...I am sorely tempted to look at quilting cottons now, much to my husband's dismay.  I already have boxes upon boxes of fabric - I don't think I need more!

I am eager to see what else you come up with!  Also - being a quilter - you may wish to look into the author's other books - she has a bunch of books about quilting - but, using japanese elements.  It has tempted me to seriously consider quilting sometime soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2004 08:21:18 PM »

ok well maybe not "just" i do love the really pretty ones. i got some scraps today at this fun fabric store that has 6 pieces for a dollar i found a nice asian lanscape one with people that would be perfect for something in omiyage

i just checked out the others on amazon and really like fabled flowers...i'll check the library before i buy this one can't go overboard alll in one week Smiley  omiyage is too fun and the quilting ones would help with combining the two mediums.

you should try quilting. you could start by making wallhangings which are so much more rewarding because they finish much faster Tongue and your silks would be really nice for a wallhanging. (they sound lame cause when i think wallhanging i'm thinking ugly granny thing but i've seen some really pretty modern ones)

if i can get a hold of the fabled flowers book i'm going to make a wallhanging i love all the dimensional applique.

ps: i'm starting the bird now. just cut out the paper pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004 08:18:54 PM »

k so the bird is still under construction. i just don't like the way the head looks...so i'm leaving it for a day or two, gotta modify the pattern somehow. anways so in the meantime(tonight) i made another daffodil. its a gift for a lady on one of my msn groups who sent me a nice quilting book in the mail. i hope she likes it

enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2004 09:04:17 AM »

Wow!  You are really on a roll!  They all look fantastic!

I've been too busy with work and my other website lately to do much sewing - but I think this weekend I am going to devote the entire weekend to crafting!  Silk flowers, pouches and all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2004 12:16:08 PM »

it's amazing how much crafting you can get done when you are supposed to be doing homework Tongue.  and the pouches are too fun. the bird is almost done. i had to take off the hem part and just need to re-attach it.
yeah i've been busy. i've gotta prioritize though too and get my website going as well as make specific things for selling. i always get caught up on stuff that is fun but not highly productive.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004 12:33:13 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah Dixon
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2004 01:32:54 PM »

Hi, your bags are amazing.  Do you know of anywhere on the web with instructions for something similar?  I'd love to have a go before splashing out on the book
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliet

You know the secret...click your shoes three times

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004 09:19:45 PM »

i think the bags and coin purses are wiked, am gonna be working on something like bag 2 myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
berlin101
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004 12:18:34 AM »

Grin

I bougt the omiyage book a couple of months ago and it is fantastic!
I'm a huge fan of the fabrics you are using for your projects - were do you find them? Is there a place were you can order japanese cottons online? And were do I find summer kimono that are not fit for wearing anymore?

Keep up the good work - your stuff is so up my alley!

Anke
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004 09:42:09 AM »

I love all the beautiful things in this thread! I may just have to invest in this Omiyage book.... Smiley Love the stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004 07:10:08 PM »

SarahFroggy - When am I gonna see this birdy, eh? ;P

Sarah Dixon - Thank you! I've not come across any websites with instructions for pouches similar to this...at least, not yet - but trust me - I am always searching!  Perhaps, you can borrow the book from your local library?  Most libraries I know of, carry it.  If not - it is worth the money, just for inspiration whilst looking through it :]

Juliet -  Excellent!  Be sure to show them off!

berlin101 - I'd completely agree with the Omiyage=fantastic comment!  I get most of my fabric from a friend who trades in Japanese antiques - so she always attends shrine sales in Japan.  I also get some of it from online auctions and the like.  I'm not to sure where you can find summer kimono not fit for wearing though - as most yukata I've seen are in good wearing condition...online auctions are the only places I can really think of right now.

Cheesedip - Aw, thanks!  And yes, I think you may just have to invest in that book ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004 07:32:15 PM »

i will try and finish the bird tomorrow all i have to do is put the hem on, i think that is my least favorite thing to do..hehe plus that opening is soo teeny..but hey teeny means it will sew faster..hmmm k i'll try my best to do it for tomorrow. keep hounding me and i'll get it done.. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2004 08:22:02 PM »

keep hounding me and i'll get it done.

I am so going to hold you to that ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2004 08:24:12 PM »

and you should..hehe Tongue. the bellflower is not as easy as it looks the centre is giving me troubles...should turn of the tv..hehe might help  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
new crafter
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2004 01:55:13 PM »

Your bags are amazing! And, Sarahfroggy-you made one in the car? Seems very simple,and though I can't (haven't really tried) machine sew..I can hand sew! I think I'm gonna have to get this book.What a great way to present packaged (homemade) bath salts,lip gloss,etc., for x-mas gifts!!Who wouldn't love that?!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2004 01:58:20 PM »

new at this stuff they are all handsewn. so you don't need a machine.
sewing in the car is fun, makes time go faster. Smiley
after you get the book you'll wish you knew more people to make things for..hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roseinbloom1023
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2004 01:57:24 PM »

Those are soooo pretty, I especially love the pyramid-shaped pouch, it reminds me of E.J. Stern bags...but actually I like yours better! (and hers are 300-2500 dollars!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2004 07:40:52 AM »

Wow.  I've never heard of E.J. Stern before - I just did a search.  Her bags are very nice...but there is something about them that makes me think she just glued pre-made flowers onto a bag, rather than making them from scratch?  It is still a cool idea though. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flossie
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2004 12:17:08 PM »

Pucci--how did you make the hair bobbles? They look lovely!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2004 05:21:33 PM »

Awesome. What is this book everyone keeps refering to?
Pucchimaiko-- where do you find your incredible fabric? You have much talent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
flossie
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2004 07:22:15 PM »

It's called Omiyage. You can find it on Amazon. It's by a woman whose last name is Sudo, I think. I bought it and it's great!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StrangeLily
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004 07:40:08 AM »

I'd like to thank you guys for the idea lol. I was looking around everywhere for something I could make to put this pretty stone in that I got for my friends b-day.
                                      It was kinda small, so I looked at the pictures of the beautiful daffodil pouches you guys made and I altered the design a little bit. Instead of making a flower shape I made it into a little flower bud and put the stone in.  Grin I used blue silk with an asian design on it for the outter part and a light blue cotton on the inside, dark blue ribbon with glass beads on the end for the drawstring . I don't have a web cam so I don't have a pic, but my friend loved it and so did I! Thanks alot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Pottery with a Slip
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Wakko
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Yakko
How to Build LEGO Animaniacs Dot
How to Build LEGO Minicon Safeguard
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...