A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,800
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Space Invaders wall (image heavy)  (Read 2732 times)
Tags for this thread: space_invaders , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 08, 2005 05:48:06 PM »

we just moved into a new place, and i promised my husband he could have his very own room all to himself, and he decided it needed to be a game room (finally we have a game room!!  Cheesy )

so as a suprise (and he was!  Grin ) i decided to make him a Space invaders wall!

here we go!

First we just had a large walk in closet that he had decided he wanted to set up his arcade machine. It's pretty ugly.

Especially after i've sanded it down and puttied up some holes.

I started out with some basice colors we had lying around the house (he's a arteest!) and printed out some MS Paint "patterns" i created of the aliens from the game!

Then, I painted the wall black, and tried to start painting the aliens in color... but alas, started over by painting them in white first, then in color. was much faster this way, and could see the aliens better!

and Ta-dah! Finished project! He was extremely happy! Cheesy

Don't forget to use fans and open doors and windows when painting! Especially in a closed in area such as a closet! Cheesy
just ME

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005 05:50:20 PM »

Thats to cool!!!!!

"Ever Day....... has a beginning and an ending......"

Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 06:08:27 PM »

OH MY  that is so cool...I love Space Invaders it was always one of my fave games.  That looks perfect you did a great job.

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005 06:14:22 PM »

my bf would kill for something like that!!!

Did you use stencils for the space invaders or did you free hand??

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005 06:17:18 PM »

Fantastic - great idea and great job!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005 06:28:14 PM »

Thanks! The whole project took about 12 hours including waiting on paint to dry. (I knew he was working overtime that day and started as soon as his truck pulled out of the drive way :p )

I kinda used stencils... the easiest way for me after trying a few different ways, was using MS Paint to draw the aliens i wanted to use (easy being they're just different versions of squares and rectangles. Smiley ) Then printed them out and colored on the back of the paper (non-printed on side) with just a #2 pencil. Then, after the black paint had dried,I used a level to get things straight and drew a very soft pencil line where I wanted to place the aliens. I used Painter's Tape (the blue stuff) to temporarily hold the paper in place with the penciled side against the wall and the picture facing me. Then I traced the alien, so when I pulled the paper off the wall, I had a shiny penciled outline of what the alien should look like. (works exactly like carbon paper)

Then I used some old watercolor brushes I had lying around to paint the small corners and edges of the aliens. Very tedious, but with music going in the background and something fun to do waiting on paint to dry, makes for a fun and eventful day. Cheesy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005 06:32:57 PM »

Do they sell carbon paper anymore so the option exists where you don't have to do the pencil thing? I haven't seen large sheets of it ever.

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005 06:35:47 PM »

If you weren't married,my b/f would probably leave me for you! Everytime we go anywhere there is a Space Invaders machine, he has to play it.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005 06:45:50 PM »

Do they sell carbon paper anymore so the option exists where you don't have to do the pencil thing? I haven't seen large sheets of it ever.

Yes, at craft/fabric stores in the notions aisle. It is called pattern tracing paper and is made by dritz or a similar notion making company, so people don't have to cut up their patterns. I know you can also buy it on pads at art/ paper stores, but the pattern tracing paper is much bigger.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005 07:50:52 PM »

toooooo awesome!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF SPECIALS: Ralph Pucci - The Art of the Mannequin - Museum Exhibit & Interviews
VF COLLECTIONS: Mara Hoffman - Resort 2016 - Miami Swim Week - Presentation & Interviews
5 Proven Products to Cover Up Wrinkles
17 Times Emma Watson Looked Flawless
How to Use Sea Salt Spray
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...