A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dayflower Lace Scarf (with link to free pattern)  (Read 38187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mathgirl
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005 01:05:05 PM »

I started this last night...thanks for the pattern!
And the wrong side rows of the chart should be worked left to right....is that correct?

I worked them right to left...  I do think it's supposed to be the other way, but after 2 pattern repeats I wasn't about to frog...

Can't wait to see your scarf! (Hmm.. "mathgirl"..  I'm a math girl too...  Grin )

I tried both ways and I think it should be left to right. Though yours looks lovely either way!

My bf and his friends used to call me "math girl" as a joke a couple of years ago... that was a fun time in my life so the name makes me laugh.
Glad you're a math girl too!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittastic09
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005 08:14:10 PM »

after seeing how pretty this scarf was i immediately downloaded the pattern. i started it tonight, and i've already had to frog it once. i'm reading it left to right, and its not turning out right. i never have enough stitches left to knit or whatever. i'm so confused! maybe i'll try to read the chart right to left and see if that works, but help please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykate
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005 09:20:32 PM »

I've started this tonight as a going away present for a friend who is moving to Boston. I hope I can knit as fast as you, my friends going away party is saturday. I want to give it to her then. Thanks for the chart. Grin

after seeing how pretty this scarf was i immediately downloaded the pattern. i started it tonight, and i've already had to frog it once. i'm reading it left to right, and its not turning out right. i never have enough stitches left to knit or whatever. i'm so confused! maybe i'll try to read the chart right to left and see if that works, but help please!

hmm. I put stitch markers on both ends to separate my three border stitches on each end. I had to frog a few times because I forgot to knit the first and last three sts of every row. If that's not what's causing you trouble give me any details you can, and I'll try to help. There is nothing more aggravating than a pattern that isn't working for some reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
westcoastchica
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005 09:58:40 PM »

Only the charted wrong side rows (5 and 13) are read from left to right. All the right side rows are read right to left.

And I put stitch markers between the garter border and the main lace pattern for the first bit too! It's so easy to forget those three stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annarella
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005 01:54:16 AM »

I just finished my first lace item.
Your scarf is gorgeous! I made Branching out and was thinking of making another one for my mother as a birthday pressie, but I think I might make yours instead, so it's gone straight on my to-do list!
Did you have to block it at all to get all the lace to open up?

Aiee!  I can't read charts!  I go cross-eyed.
When I have to follow charts I colour each stitch in the same colour, so all my knits are pink, all yos yellow, k2tog blue and so forth. It makes it much easier to identify where you are and what to do next, without having to squint to see what symbol is coming up - HTH!

xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annarella
http://www.annarella.co.uk
buy my hand made stitch markers: http://annarella.etsy.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005 07:08:01 AM »

Thanks, Annarella, maker of the beautiful vintage capelet!  I bought the Barbara Walker Second Book of Knitted Patterns, from which the chart is derived.  She has the directions written out.  Whew!  (That book is totally amazing.  It should come in a laminated edition, because I'm sure people drool over it as I do.)  *bows down to Barbara Walker*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Ravishing Jane
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005 01:06:23 PM »

I saw this post and had to start making this scarf!  I started last night and being a first time lace knitter AND  a first time chart reader, I started out a bit slow.  So I modified the chart a bit to make it easier to read (I kept looking at the wrong spots on the original).  Thought I would share it with you all since it sounds like I'm not the only one trying this out for the first time.
Jane

THIS ROCKS   Logged

to know about handmade, and not to support handmade, is not to know.
http://www.ravishingjane.com
craftykate
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005 01:27:14 PM »

Thanks Jane! I think that will help me too. I keep accidentally reading 5 and 13 the wrong way since they are the only wrong side rows on the chart. I used highlighter on the copy I printed out, but I think the spacing and the row numbers on the side of the chart you read the row from will be a help. I'm about half done with mine. I'm making it from two left over balls of noro I had in my stash. It looks really pretty so far. I hope the lace pattern looks more noticeable after blocking though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
knittastic09
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005 10:43:55 AM »

hmm. I put stitch markers on both ends to separate my three border stitches on each end. I had to frog a few times because I forgot to knit the first and last three sts of every row. If that's not what's causing you trouble give me any details you can, and I'll try to help. There is nothing more aggravating than a pattern that isn't working for some reason.
Only the charted wrong side rows (5 and 13) are read from left to right. All the right side rows are read right to left.

And I put stitch markers between the garter border and the main lace pattern for the first bit too! It's so easy to forget those three stitches!

thanks westcoastchica and craftykate! i tried again and it's working out great! i'll post a pic when i'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomikpop
Tutorial Contributor

one monkey don't stop no show

knit happens

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005 12:49:42 PM »

that looks fantastic! i'm definitely going to have knit this one up. thanks for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fight Wrinkles With Just One Key Ingredient!
Best Pressed and Loose Face Powders
Do It Yourself: Where Can You Save Money?
The Beauty Secrets of Coconut Oil
How Many Lipsticks Does One Girl Need?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...