A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Post - Hairpins  (Read 38574 times)
Tags for this thread: kanzashi , hair_pin , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

holywhack

...trying to get it together

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004 04:26:02 PM »

Those are absolutely beautiful!!! Shocked  Are you going to be making any to sell...I know that my sisters would love to have something like them!!!  Please let me know or post if you're willing to sell...  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft unto others, as you would have them craft unto you...
philodendron5
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004 05:03:06 PM »

Those are utterly beautiful! Please, please, please post a tutorial! I would love to know how to make them... yipee! pretty hair pins all around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
SarahFroggy
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004 05:04:13 PM »

wow love the hairpins. i noticed you said they were based on traditional Japanese techniques. any good books or references you could suggest? also a tutorial would be awesome. i'm really into making flowers this month. must be spring talking. i'd love to try and make one of these.

beautiful work.
-sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004 05:34:49 PM »

those rock soooo much. see me having a big box full of them in a rainy day or two...they look like basic folding and sewing to secure but i might be wrong. Anyways, they rock! And...amareluna congrats on your wedding (if it is yours that is lol) Much love, and puh-leeeeeeze post instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eropunkish

gimme gimme that thing called love

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004 06:48:41 PM »

They're so cool!  I'm not sure, but it looks like you used those giant bobby pins? But how did you get them to stay on?  Post a tutorial please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintage vixens, traveling the line
swirling words across a page, if you would have it

wist - - >  http://www.wists.com/seabass_sews
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004 07:40:32 PM »

Wow!  Thank you for all your lovely comments! I am flattered you liked the pins! I will eventually be selling these in my online store, PucchiMaiko, which I hope to launch in about 4 months...along with the possibility of attending a few upper market craft fairs around my area.  Your enthusiasm has definitely inspired me to continue with these!

Tutorials: I don't mind putting up tutorials for the more simple flowers - as they are quite easy to make.  Next time I make some, I'll take step by step photographs.  As for the folded petal flowers though - I am not completely happy with the technique I am using for them right now...I am still largely in an experimental stage with them. Once I have that down to pat, I'll be sure to post a good tutorial :]

wealhtheow - I use a variety of items for the pin part.  Some, I am using straight Amish hairpins...but I just recently purchased a bunch of larger bobby pin type pins to experiment with.  I am not sure which I prefer yet though...I also use snap hairclips.

yardenxanthe - I am glad you liked ImmortalGeisha :]  Geisha and maiko kimonos and style are one of my largest inspirations in my crafts :]  Appreciating their culture and arts has taught me a whole new respect for colour usage and fabric!

holywhack - I will be selling these eventually (er, not these exact ones - but these style of pins) :]  If you like, you can private message me if you are interested in anything...

SarahFroggy - hmm, I make a lot of stuff from observation - I have a gazillion books about geisha and Japanese textiles - so...some of this is guesswork from eyeballing the photographs.  I do strongly recommend the book Omiyage though :]  It is in English...and a fantastic, gorgeous, inspiring book introducing you to the art of Japanese hand sewn crafts.

eropunkish  These have a backing of felt - so I have sewn the pins on through the felt using fishing line (as it is super duper tough).  I am not completely happy with this particular method though, and I am working on improving it.  For the time being though - it works well. :]

I took a quick photo of some of the other flowers I made last weekend.  I am particularly fond of the white one, and the green one.

Once again, thank you all for your kind comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
sfsf
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2004 08:41:56 PM »

Wow!!! Your flowers are absolutely amazing. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004 02:44:09 AM »

those are totally gorgeous, I was just thinking about what I would wear in my hair when I get married, and BAM up come your lovely flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004 02:46:26 PM »

Welcome to crafter.org!  Those flowers are really beautiful.  They've completely inspired me to do something with those boring old hair clips of mine.  Thanks so much for a lovely, lovely idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
phonki_monki

I wonder what it's like to be a slice of cheese?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004 09:54:49 PM »

Wow, those are amoazing! Do you sell them?because you should.I'd so buy one...or 5.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imockyouwithmymonkeypantz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Japanese Salad Dressing Recipe
Coconut Cringe: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Recipe For Revolution: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Sushi At Home: Spicy Scallop Hand Roll Recipe
Healthy Chicken Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...