A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brownie Wedding Cake?  (Read 1095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patriautism
« on: August 08, 2005 04:11:22 PM »

I'm getting married in 9 days and I still need to make the cake. I used to be a cake decorator so I have a bit of experience. I was thinking of doing my cake out of brownies. Has anyone had any luck/problems making a giant brownie project? I figured brownies would be sturdier, and I like them better anyways. I was going to use my big ole spring form pan for the bottom layer. My soon to be mother-in-law just gave me a dome cake set (fillable even) so maybe I could use that as well. I plan on mint and peanut butter icings. Any ideas/tips? Oh, and I plan on using brownie mix. I'd love to do homemade but I've got enough to take care of right now Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005 05:56:18 AM »

Mmmmmmm that sounds really good. I like brownies better too, cake is too spongy for me. I think a giant dome brownie with alternating icings and some decorations would be fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
princessliak
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005 06:11:13 AM »

Yum...I did make a brownie layer cake once that turned out fine.  My cousin had a beautiful rice crispie wedding cake because she is allergic to flour.  It was so gorgous with flowers and all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005 06:29:13 AM »

This is a little off topic, but you might be able to do something like what we did at my wedding.  I wanted something different than the standard wedding cake, so we had a cupcake tree.  You might be able to do something like that for yours.  Maybe arrange the brownies on a cake stand and decorate with flowers to spruce it up a bit.  Just a suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Sarahlotfi

Colors: deliciousness for the eyes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 07:28:15 AM »

I'd love to see what you end up making!! My (almost) fiance and I loooooooovvvveee brownies but arent cake fans, so I was thinking about the possibility of a brownie cake as well...

anyway - keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People who don't work with their hands are parasites.  --Jenny Holzer
McAuliflower
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 10:42:34 AM »

even) so maybe I could use that as well. I plan on mint and peanut butter icings. Any ideas/tips? Oh, and I plan

I think it might be best to keep your icings away from each other... mint with peanut butter?  Undecided

You could keep things as simple as possible for yourself and not make brownies that require frosting.  Brownies are already quite the punch of flavor (don't need frosting to be tasty), plus when wedding day comes around you might be surprised how much of your time the frosting takes? 

You could instead swirl your peanut butter into the top of the brownie batter so that the flavoring/frosting step was accomplished in the baking step.  (Oh... you could swirl in cheesecake batter into the top of your brownies.  That way the design would stand out better-being white-  and people would realize they have different flavors to choose from).

To also dress up your brownies you could use tiny biscuit cutters to cut them out in circles instead of cutting the brownies into squares.  Seeing small circle shaped brownies on platters would be dressier than regular square cut brownies.  You could dust the circle brownies with powdered sugar (and use stencils for designs- maybe you and your partner's initials?).  Also, having little circle bropwnies makes them the perfect canvas for a little frosting rose, or a decorative ganache rosette with pretty edibles placed on top (candied flowers, nuts, those little silver balls...)

What to do with the left over bits of brownies from cutting out circles? My mom's pastry shop used to take cake scraps- drizzle them with rum, and wad them all together.  Then scoop out bits of the mixture and roll it into balls and dip into melted chocolate- instant truffles and a good use for tasty scraps and bits!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005 03:49:34 PM »

McAuliflower, those ideas sound great! too bad im not gettin married or nething, lol... now i have to find sum occasion to make a brownie-tower thing, n 'borrow' all those great ideas! n my one and only -sort-of-idea is that u could have some w/ like walnuts inside the batter or chocolate chunks, for guests who luv that extra choco boost, just make sure that ppl can tell which is which... maybe put all the nut ones to one side, and tell ppl where each kind is located? good luck with your marriage and have a great wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005 04:25:17 PM »

Okay, my idea:  Make different 'flavors' (cheesecake swirl, walnuts, peanut butter, mint) as different layers.  Bake them in big cake tins, so they can be cut like cake.  I've seen some wedding cakes where the layers aren't touching, they're seperated by stands and pillars.  Then you can cover the pillars and top the 'brownie cakes' with flowers/vines/whatever, to match the rest of your theme.

Of course, the idea of little round brownies with fancy powdered sugar designs on top sounds elegant and pretty, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005 04:29:21 PM »

I just had an idea...

If you decide to go with the round circle brownies, you could cut a stencil of your new last initial (if your married name is Smith, cut out a nice, ornate S) out of cardstock and then lay that stencil over the brownie.  Dust the stencil with powdered sugar (or cinnamon, etc.) and remove the stencil.  Monogramed brownies!  I've seen this done somewhere before and it's really pretty.  Arrange your brownies and accent with flowers, or vine, like someone suggested.  Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
patriautism
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005 07:45:26 PM »

Wow. Thank you all so much for ideas and inspiration! Unfortunately I'm a broke ass loser and Vons had a special on cake mix today (we're now at T minus 8 days til the wedding), a dollar a box (compared to almost $4 a box for brownies) so I'm doing strawberry and white cake (I went a little overboard and just bought all of what they had the most of. I think I have 20 cake mixes). I will definitely post pics anyway. I love all of your ideas. These will be my birthday cakes to come!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Make a Pyramid Gift Box
Sweet Peas With Kim Westad
Upcycled Gift Wrap
Handmade Portraits: Yokoo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...