A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice for a blanket?  (Read 1329 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassafrass
« on: August 07, 2005 07:47:58 PM »

Ok, so I'm looking for some advice. I promised a friend that I'd make them a blanket, but it has been a much longer project than anticipated. Instead of a month or so, it's been over 2, and it's only like a third done (I'm talking 3 hours for every inch of progress). Does anyone have a suggestion for a quicker pattern? I'm just looking for something that I can finish in a reasonable time frame...
Help!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekMagnet
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005 09:21:07 PM »

Use a shell stitch.  there are TONS of different shell stitches, just pick one.  The go alot faster because the are more open/ larger spaces.  but they are  still just as warm as something tighter like single crochet.  http://www.knitting-and.com/crochet/shellstitch.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
Jennickell
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 09:24:43 AM »

I have been working on a mile-a-minute afgan off and on for a few months (It I would just site down and devote 1 hour a night to it I would have had it done in like a week). It goes really fast and looks really pretty.
Here is a link
http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/mileaminute.pdf
uses a lot of basic stitches, so even a beginner could make one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassafrass
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005 08:47:21 PM »

oh! those are both awesome suggestions. thanks so much! i think i may have to start back at ground zero and see how much faster it goes... Smiley seriously, i worked on it for a few hours tonight, and its just so frusteratingly slow...
i mean come on now, i can't be THAT slow at this! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennickell
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 06:17:33 AM »

Dont get frustrated, I get so impatient, that is why I just cannot make big afgans, I have to make little things (hats, purses, scarves, etc), I just get bored easily, that is why it has taken me close to 6 months to work on the same blanket. Maybe you should take a break from it, just for a day or two, make something small, and come back to it. Just a thought:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnleaves
a bean counter with more than just numbers to crunch

anyone in morgantown wanna start a craft club?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 09:20:58 AM »

Not sure if anyone else was thinking this but you could work with a big hook and two strands of yarn together. This goes super fast and comes out thick and warm. Plus you can do the main color then mix it with cream or white for a heathered look. I made one with solid and heathered stripes using an accent color. I used a ripple pattern /\/\/\
THIS ROCKS   Logged

finally i have found my home in cyberspace
cassafrass
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005 05:29:21 PM »

i am using a pretty big hook (size N), but i've also been just double crocheting the whole thing. maybe i'll work on starting a swatch with a different pattern and see how much better it goes. i don't really want to scrub the whole thing (it looks really nice), but since it's a gift for someone going back to college, maybe it would be better to start over than to get it to him at the end of the school year. Smiley

um, side note. its a few hours later. i just started with a shell stitch. OMG! this is amazing. what used to take me 2 hours is taking me 30 or 45 minutes. yay!! I LOVE EVERYONE for showing me the light!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005 08:16:37 PM by cassafrass » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005 07:32:05 AM »

I suggest buying the biggest crochet hook you can find and working with two strands of yarn you can use whatever stitch you like and it works up fast an easy. My 11yr old daughter still has the one I made her when she was 3. The fun thing is you can use varigated with a solid or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassafrass
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005 08:40:36 PM »

Coming soon to the finished projects is the completed blanket. I just have to figure out how to get the pictures off of my friends camera and onto my computer... it took a week and a half and turned out awesome.  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005 11:31:39 AM »

i can't wait to see it! i'm the midst of a neverending afghan right now and i would like to see how you did it! i may unravel and start over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Dress Up For Any Holiday Party
Top 5 Sexy Christmas Costumes
Shop These 4 NYE Dresses Right Now
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...