A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you come up with your brand name?  (Read 18024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007 07:26:17 PM »

That's excellent advice, Penlowe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
bethiej78

pool on the roof must have a leak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007 06:34:19 PM »

yes!!  thank you so much for those tips, penlowe!  very simple, logical, and easy to understand.  i have been tossing around some names lately.  mostly because i am finally crafting some things i'd like to add tags to, and if i'm going to bother to pay for tags to be printed i want the business name to be THE name, not the name i'm going to change 10 times in the next few years.  now knowing some criterion on which to evaluate the names will help me narrow down the list.  so much appreciation for your tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

side note, if any of you craftsters out there are also weight watchers members, check out my WW Blog!
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007 05:49:20 AM »

I've come up with a new one for babyclothes since I don't think All Fucked Up is appropriate for children (duh!) nor is Swedish Handjobs that I use for knitting and such (duh again) so now small children will have their Tiny Monster- sticker attached to their clothes, simply because all kids are tiny monsters (I have three of my own, but they are now big hooligans) Cute monsters, but still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007 12:11:36 PM »

Penlowe that is wonderful, clear, succinct advice! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rabbithorns
Rabbithorns

Love the bunnies

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007 03:03:40 PM »

I'm doing recon clothes for Xmas season, mostly goth skirts and shirts, and am using the name "Peel Me" for the label. Not too original, I'm sure, but it was used as a line in an old China Beach episode where McMurphy is wearing this one-piece motorcycle skin-tight jumper and she tells her alligator-wrestling hulk of a squeeze - peel me - and he does. There's something about wearing fancy clothes that should say "you should want to take me off of this girl". (we'll leave it up to girl to decide whether or not she wants to be peeled!) Most of the stuff I do has quite a bit of embellishment to be eye-catching and therefore worthy of the name - not just a black tulle skirt or something - so the name also requires a standard for the clothing. (in my mind anyway)

I still use the name Rabbithorns for the business though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livin and lovin a bloke in Oz
GuiltyTreasures

Will Work For Beads!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2007 02:32:41 PM »

I have horrible buyers remorse. Therefore, I use to refer to all the stuff I bought as Guilty Treasures. It just kinda stuck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftinator
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007 09:07:14 PM »

I had a gift shop for a year and my sister-in-law came up with the name "Now What?" because I was never quite sure what I was going to come up with next!

Now, I'm starting to do things on the internet and needed to come up with a website addy.  "Now What" was taken, in many different configurations so I asked people to help with a name and my son asked me - what about a title that is who you ARE instead of what you DO? And then he said - liiiiike - oh, I dunnooo.....Craftin ator?

Shocked

Of course!  Perfect!!  heehee  So, Craftinator it is.

So, for me, asking others opinions is what works because other people can sometimes have an insight on what you're about, a different angle that maybe you hadn't thought of.  Plus, it's kinda cool that it was a group effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silencestrikes
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007 12:51:23 PM »

My friend Jess and I have been struggling with naming ourselves for about a month now. We have a random (very, very random) assorment of things we make to sell, and really struggled with a name.

After a 24-hour mad-crafting session this weekend, we have it. AJ's Oddities. A friend of a friend suggested the Oddities part, and AJ is our initials (my first name is Alaina, and obviously, she's Jess).

And later, we've talked about someday upgrading our name to AlainaJessica, because it sounds professional and classy. (even though that is so not us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Old Mac Donald had a..."
"Spider!"
"A spider?!? What noise does a spider make?"
*puts hands beside her head and wiggles fingers*
"Okay. Old Mac Donald had a spider, EIEIO..."
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008 11:45:31 AM »

an important tip is to make sure your name is a little bit flexible.  i started out making character hats and now make mostly menswear, but was able to keep my brand name because it's imprecise but cohesive and memorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008 11:50:41 AM »

an important tip is to make sure your name is a little bit flexible.  i started out making character hats and now make mostly menswear, but was able to keep my brand name because it's imprecise but cohesive and memorable.

Yes, very true. Goes along the lines of Penlowe's advice - make sure your name can grow with you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take the Mystery Out of Lingerie Shopping
4 Foolproof Ways to Dress Up for Any Holiday Party
7 Ways to Wear One Party Dress All Season Long
Miss Universe Preliminary Evening Gown Recap
Who Wore The Givenchy Leather Skirt Best: Kim Kardashian or Kanye West?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...