A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you come up with your brand name?  (Read 18017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2005 06:41:29 PM »

I am at a crossroads, and I thought hearing how others came to their name might offer me some inspiration. Maybe give me a new focus or place to restart. So how what is the story behind your name and how did it come to you?

Thanks, craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xstillxherex72
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005 07:17:02 AM »

you mean business names?
Mine is "Thats Salty!"
I'm sorry, but the story is very short and very random.
I was babysitting for the people down the road and we were watching a movie. Then one suggested popcorn. So we all went in the make some. The younger one loves salt (and peanut butter). He was going to put the salt on the popcorn. Then the older one said, "No! Don't let him put it on! It'll be too salty!" And all of a sudden it popped into my head. It followed me around until I wrote it down.  Voila.
good luck!

much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 11:45:45 AM »

Yes I mean business name!  Shocked

Smiley

Thanks for sharing. Great story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lotusstar
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005 06:02:46 PM »

meco- i don't know if you read the "*business name suggestions*" post that i responded to you, but here's what i wrote:
meco- seriously, i had a long list of names that just came into mind and others that were recommended. just have a list and slowly cross them off. i had my list and was slowling crossing some names off and a totally new name came and i really liked it. the name had the word "lotus" and another word that's dear to my heart, i'd like to spill the beans, but i gotta TM the name and do the papers. anyways, get some advice, post here at craftster, ask friends, the best way to get your name...just look around at your everyday life! ha, sounds silly!
     anyways, what are you going to do with your business name? what are you going to make/sell? maybe if you can post a few tidbits we could help come up with a name. let us know what you need and we could help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 08:12:20 PM »

I picked Effin' Fantastic after I heard, at the end of a live Emocapella recording, the guy say, "That was. . .effin' fantastic".  First I used it as a livejournal name (one I never use, but it's still there.)  Then it became the name of my crap graphics site. http://effinfantastic.tripod.com   I used that as a signature on a piece that I did for my HS lit magazine.  That caused a stir.  A friend and I had to take a permanent marker to the remaining mags.  Now it is the name of my (un-opened) etsy shop.

Pick something that has a story behind it.  It makes it more *you*.  Or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
femmeraven
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005 05:41:13 AM »

My step-sister and I do a thing together and we decided on Texas 2-Step Sisters.

We wanted something that related that we were from Texas, but weren't too sure about the rest.  We went back and forth for a while (like a month or so) just throwing names back and forth that we came up with.  We tried combining our names, used things specific to Texas (phrases, flowers, landmarks, etc), then we tried describing (in a way) the kinds of things we were making. 

We kept a running list of the names that we both liked, then one day she said how about something about sisters or with sisters in it.  After a few more back and forths up popped Texas 2-step combined with step sisters and voila! Texas 2-step sisters.  As soon as it came up we both knew it was perfect for us.

It wasn't a quick process for us, but I bet most will agree that once you come up with the name that's right for you, it will be like the heavens shining down and you'll go, "That's it!"  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DoulaDo
~*~Nick Cave Love Slave~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005 05:47:59 AM »

Mine is Mamadelic. I wanted something that was 60's-70's so I thought of psychodelic and I wanted something that said that it was for women who were not JUST moms, so I came up with mamadelic. And because the domain name was still free, haha! If it had not been free, I would have kept looking most likely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tenika
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005 12:02:07 PM »

it's a song title from one of my favorite groups The Beloved Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ Tenika M. ]
Scarlet Beautiful. nifty tees for sale.
http://www.scarletbeautiful.com
wist list
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005 03:52:50 PM »

Wow, you all have great stories!

Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005 03:58:05 PM »

meco- i don't know if you read the "*business name suggestions*" post that i responded to you, but here's what i wrote:
meco- seriously, i had a long list of names that just came into mind and others that were recommended. just have a list and slowly cross them off. i had my list and was slowling crossing some names off and a totally new name came and i really liked it. the name had the word "lotus" and another word that's dear to my heart, i'd like to spill the beans, but i gotta TM the name and do the papers. anyways, get some advice, post here at craftster, ask friends, the best way to get your name...just look around at your everyday life! ha, sounds silly!
     anyways, what are you going to do with your business name? what are you going to make/sell? maybe if you can post a few tidbits we could help come up with a name. let us know what you need and we could help!

I saw it, but I will reply here Smiley Thanks! I totally understand you on the name. You must come and share when you can!

I did do that. List several things in columns, just freewriting, spontaneous name creation Smiley

I do have a business in the works. Should I start a new thread? I make shirts and clothes for babies and toddlers. I have a child myself, and I hated all the cutesy, cartoony, boring clothing out there. So hand stamped, stenciled, screen printed shirts (different styles). I am going to start with shirts. I have designs in the works. I just need a name and site (which I cannot do with a name and then theme Cheesy Go figure huh!)

I am torn between a fun name or a classic modern sounding name. I have considering incoporating where I live (Manhattan) into it somehow, but most end up my clich.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of Sweetheart Candies
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
How to Make Fortune Cookies for a Happier Chinese New Year
Watch Chocolatiers Make Dark Chocolate Cherry Truffles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...