A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewelry Making Supplies Storage  (Read 2171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Marissa64
« on: August 07, 2005 02:32:13 PM »

How do you store all your beads, findings, etc?  Do you pack them in a case...a fishing tackle box....do you have a desk you work at or pack up your things and bring them out each time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005 10:13:22 PM »

I have mine in an organizer from Jo Anns, it has like 10 compartments (I don't have very many beads). Sorry that wasn't very helpful Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadgalsarita
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005 10:56:36 PM »

I have this great "jewelry designers" case on wheels I got at jo-anns (I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere)  and a shoulder carry bag (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$VDKVJIQAAKD2YP4SY5LRIHR50LD3UEPO?CATID=83516&PRODID=61197  )that I got from michaels.  I love both of them and abuse them to death!

~Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lotusstar
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005 01:55:09 AM »

I mainly work at home on my large spacious desk when I work with making jewelry, but there are times when I do travel with the beads and stuff. I use these little drawer set that I purchased at a store where they can be disassembled and switched, which is pretty cool. I can take one box off and keep all sorts of things in there. There's also a small slot on the front where you can label the stone or type of findings inside. I keep all my gemstones, findings, etc. all in little ziplocks that are labeled with where I got them from, how much I paid and how much each stone/finding is. Then I put those in the labeled drawers, I got mine from a store, but you can purchase the exact ones I got from the following links:

http://my-memories.safeshopper.com/20/3948.htm?113
OR
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=drawerz&SearchClass=&Submit4=Go

For larger items such as wire, larger stones, or anything like that, I keep them in larger ziplocks also labeled with where I got them from, how much I paid and how much each stone/finding is, but I keep them organized in a larger box, I'm currently using a shoe box, but I want to get something else. Just make sure that you keep track of where you get your products and how much they cost you so you would be able to price your jewelry. If you're a traveling jeweler, I recommend that you get a small secure tackle box, but make sure that when the tackle box gets shaken or anything else, the beads or findings inside don't get mixed. I bought a comparted jewelry case that didn't keep my beads separated when they flipped upside down. Oh, I know you didn't ask this, but also keep your tools organized! Also, make sure that you have a spacious are to work with and a bead mat doesn't hurt now and then. I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eacargal
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005 08:57:58 PM »

Recently I organized all of my beads by colours since they were already in little ziploc style bags.  To further improve my organization though I filed them in a clear hanging shoe organizer that I found at the dollar store.  I labelled each "shoe" compartment with the colour(s) of beads in that section and then filled it with all the beads and hung it in my closet.  Same thing goes for all my other supplies like glass marbles, hot glue, ribbon etc.  It has freed up so much space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwicz
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005 12:17:53 PM »

I use plastic craft organizers for my findings and small amounts of beads, this really cool tube-and-tray storage thingy I found at a craft fair for large amounts of beads, some things end up in zip-top bags, and I have a tackle box for travel.  I have an entire shelving unit devoted to the stuff!  But I usually get my bead board (a rescued microscope slide case, actually) out and work sitting on the couch rather than at a worktable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsbian
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005 06:25:15 PM »

I used to store all of my beads in an embroidery box, but after two or three times of moving the box, all of the beads get mixed together.  I still use these for large beads that will get mixed up.  For seed beads, I perfer the clear round containers that twist on top of each other.  They cant get mixed up and you can see what colors you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylilly
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005 04:25:26 PM »

I use a combination of things.  I have some stuff in a large tackle box.  I've got other stuff in a plastic drawer organizer that I got from Staples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005 04:39:29 PM »

I don't keep a lot of beads, because I tend to only buy what I like, and get ideas almost right away.  But for my larger glass beads I use an embroidery box.  For my seed beads, I usually only buy them in those tubes, and I just leave them in there, and I haven't ever emptied a tube, but when I do, I'll hang on to it for future storage.  And I've got a vintage tin with orchids on it that I keep the tubes in.  For the rest of my supplies; primarily all my sterling wire and components and my gemstone beads, plus tools and some finished objects, I use my old Caboodles organizer that my mother bought me for makeup when I was 14.  I never used it for makeup, but it's great for jewelry stuff because it's just like a fishing tackle box, but it has a mirror.  Incidentally, even when I worked as a goldsmith, my caboodles sat on the floor next to my jewelers' bench, and held my personal projects that I worked on after hours.  It's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
smokingmonkey
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005 09:09:46 PM »

Started out with a few of those top loading snap close trays that you could put into a transport bag but quickly grew out of that. Went out and got hardware storage cases which are working out nicely, although I may need another one soon. I put little labels on the front of the drawers with the prices, and you can divide the drawers into sections. Anyway, here's a pic:

If I want to work in another room, I just pull out the drawers I need, and they stack on themselves for easy transport through the house.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005 09:12:24 PM by smokingmonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 2
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 1
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
How to Make a Paper Mache Dragon Trophy
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...