A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miu Miu skirt, anyone? As easy or as hard as you like.....  (Read 6533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dolores
« on: August 07, 2005 01:40:54 PM »

Stumbled across this ultra-gorgeous Miu Miu skirt (in the line of work, I hasten to add) and I thought...oooh, that would be great for a sew-along. You can see from the pics that it's basically a pencil or very narrow A-line skirt (so not too tricky there) with a waistband, gentle gathers at the waist, and patch pockets. But check out that BEAUTIFUL embroidery!

Anyway, here's my thoughts....we could do any kind of pencil or A-line skirt -personally I'll be doing a slightly drop wasited one, without a waistband because that's what i look good in-, with or without the wasitband, with or without the pockets..I think you see where i'm going here....and the flowers -actually any shapes, leaves, hearts, you name it...could be any medium you liked....print, paint, stencil, applique, embroidery, whatever.

So whaddo y'all think? Are you in, or will I be the only Craftster swanking along in my lovely new skirt, inspiring envy wherever I go?

I'm suggesting we set a rough deadline of end of September to complete it...that way we all have something yummy to wear SOON

PS...just had a look at www.fashionfabrics.com , where they have some lovely rich purple fabrics (if you want to re-create this skirt as near as poss)..prices from $4.00 a yard for poly suede to $$8.00 a yard for gabardine...you only need a yard for this skirt, plus lining, a zip, and your trims...so let's see, about $25 ( if we're being generous) to make one, or $1550 (yes, one thousand, five hundred & fifty dollars) to buy one...hmmm, lemme see, what to do, make or buy, make or buy....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 06:53:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005 10:00:18 PM »

That skirt is so pretty! I wonder if I can fit this in my project list... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005 07:19:44 AM »

Wow... I  might have to go get supplies today... does it look like the embroidery is done with a yarn?  I have just started up both embroidery and sewing again... but this pattern looks almost identical to a pencil skirt I made for 4-H once.  I will try to be on it it it's really cute!  I think I can manage end of Sept, atleast for the sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005 09:22:55 AM »

does it look like the embroidery is done with a yarn? 

Yeah, I think it is yarn..I think I'll be doing my embroidery as a bit of needlepoint on stiff black tulle, so I can attach it easily (& it can come off for dry cleaning...I have a 2 1/2 year old boy, it WILL need to be dry cleaned at some point, LOL!), also because I am a crappy embroiderer...BUT I have a great book, the DMC book of Embroidery, which details (I think) those stitches & similar motifs, which I can scan in & post if you need it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005 08:51:10 AM »

Dolores,

Hey I just PMed you about your post on the gaucho pants and realized you were the one that is going to sew this skirt with me!  I am wanting to sew so many things right now... but I am definetly making this skirt, have you started yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 11:05:29 AM »

Cheesy LOL, no I haven't started it yet, I'm still noodling around choosing my fabric, I MUST order it today or I'll run out of time!...BUT I kinda know what I'll be doing enbroidery wise, so I'm getting supplies for that this weekend. What embroidery are you planning..if any?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005 08:10:16 AM »

Yesterday I bought some cheap plum colored light weight corduroy to fool around with before I mess up any ultrasuede or nice wool...   I can't wait to start though.

I need to start practicing embroidery again, did you say you were going to make it detachable?  Can the embroidery not be dry cleaned?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 07:27:08 PM »

Hmmm....I'm loving the idea of corduroy....it would be a whole lot easier to maintain than a dry-clean only fabric like wool -I hate dry cleaning stuff, it never comes out clean & it stinks of chemicals. Plus I never remember to pick it up, plus it's expensive.

The embroidery doesn't have to be detachable, but I'm thinking, if I do it on some tulle or something, a) I'll have a backing that's easy to work with, b) I can leave a 1/4" pinked edge of tulle showing for a kinda antiquey look, and c) when I get bored with the skirt I can take the embroidery off & use it on something else...

But now I'm thinking corduroy (lovely! nice for fall! washable! oh I'm so middle-aged...) and maybe felt flower appliques? What to do, what to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005 07:11:48 AM »

Yeah, I am really starting to like my corduroy, the more I look at it and I wont feel so bad if I mess it up.  Plus, whenever I think of a fall fabric I think of corduroy, plus here (in Las Vegas) wool is really too hot even for winter.

I also  hate getting things drycleaned, what a pain.  I put it off for weeks and weeks to even drop it off.  I am way too cheap to go to the real places I go to the $1.50 cleaners, even though I have heard that it's gross and they reuse chemicals and stuff.... I still like it better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005 07:23:44 AM »

Yeah I hear ya re the wool being too hot! I'm in Florida, so I'll MELT in a heavy wool!So maybe corduroy is the way to go....and I know just where to get some in that groovy purple too.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Vintage Bowles - Shopping Odetta Vintage in Paris
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Baggy Boyfriend Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - Wearing Plaids in Punk Fashion
Jeanius - Alexandra Cronan on Crop Tops
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...