A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: binding questions  (Read 1005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunkistaddict
« on: August 07, 2005 12:30:55 PM »

I've made two quilt tops and I'm finally getting around to quilting and binding one of them. I've been looking around websites and books, but I thought I'd ask you guys how you prefer to do things as well.

First of all, and this may be a stupid question, but do you quilt the whole thing before you put the binding on?
Secondly, how many of you do your own machine quilting? I'd really appreciate any advice or tips you've picked up along the way.
And finally, I've read that to put the binding on totally by machine you should attach it to the back first and then to the front. Is this really the best way to do it?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~meg
ariane
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005 01:00:25 PM »

Yes, I usually put on the binding after I've quilted my piece.  But, who knows, others may differ with me???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
cmoore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005 07:21:14 PM »

First of all, and this may be a stupid question, but do you quilt the whole thing before you put the binding on?

Yes. The quilt is much easier to bind when it behaves as one piece.
Some people use the backing as a binding and therefore do it first, but I find a number of problems with that way of doing it. It can be harder to handle, and a straight grain binding usually frays quickly. Also those mistakes show!

Secondly, how many of you do your own machine quilting? I'd really appreciate any advice or tips you've picked up along the way.

I machine quilt smaller quilts (under 40 or 50 inches or so). I try to stay away from the bigger ones, as I tend to have trouble with control at that size. As I mentioned in another thread, I practised on small bags to get a feel for it.
Some general tips:
Make sure your machine is in top working order. Clean and oil it, set the tension, new needle, the whole deal. test it out first before you start on your big quilt.
I have been trying to quilt from the side of the machine for the last few quilts. This is helpful for managing bulkl, but you have to watch the quilt where it is going through the arm (my backing folded back on me the first few times since I couldn't see what was going on over there). There is an example of that here. (and may I say that I have been thinking about getting that frame!)
That reminds me, at the moment I don't use a hoop, but you may find a hoop or a frame like flynn's useful in order to keep the quilt smooth.
You will probably want to either recess your machine or use a table so that the bed is flush with the surface around it. Even that little bit of gravitational pull can be problematic.
Wearing latex gloves (yes the medical ones) helps with grip and control.
heh enough?  Smiley

And finally, I've read that to put the binding on totally by machine you should attach it to the back first and then to the front. Is this really the best way to do it?

I do not do it this way. In fact I think it is better if you sew the front first as you are assured of a nice looking edge-mistakes can go to the back. Tongue
Actually the first quilt I made I did like that. I never liked the way it looked.
In general, I use one of two similar methods. If I am making a bed quilt I will normally buy extra wide double fold bias tape to bind it with that (bias is better for a quilt that will see a lot of wear-and also for shaped quilts). This stuff comes with one side pressed slightly wider than the other. I line up the narrower edge to the front and sew that, then fold and pin to the back with raw edge folded away. I then sew from the front again, topstitching along the first seamline with a clear or like coloured thread. Since the wider side is to the back, it should catch from the back. Of course it doesn't always work perfectly-bias stretches and you have to be careful with it.

My other method is for wallhangings and I generally use a straight grain binding. I take a wide strip (usually 5 inches) fold it in half length ways, and sew both raw edges to the front raw edge. Then I fold back, as with the other method. I do have to do some handsewing with this method, as there is a lot of excess to the back. I blind hem stitch it at the fold and this becomes a sleeve that I can hang the piece with. If you used a narrower strip, you could also do this as the above version, without the sleeve. You could even use bias strips as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005 07:23:11 PM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunkistaddict
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005 07:26:57 AM »

thanks so much, cmoore. i think i'll use your first method for the binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~meg
mediadiva
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005 10:18:31 AM »

I reccomend the book "modern quilt workshop" for a super quick and easy way to bind that looks good. Binding by hand can take... well.. years..

yes, and always pin baste the whole quilt first to avoid shifting and always quilt from the CENTER out.. to avoid odd bunches int he fabric.

Secondly, how many of you do your own machine quilting?

I am teaching myself right now, from that same book I mentioned above, and asking questions online. You can use your sewing machine with a DARNING foot.

I can't remember, but that book has good advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarybow
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005 06:04:59 PM »

yes, and always pin baste the whole quilt first to avoid shifting and always quilt from the CENTER out.. to avoid odd bunches int he fabric.

I also quilt the entire top before the binding, but instead of pins I use Sullivan's Basting Spray.  I don't often recommend name brands, but this one is really the best.  You can find it online or at a quilt store.  It comes in a pink can.  This for me works better than pins, and can be rolled up and then ironed if you don't finish all your quilting in one sitting. 

I admit that I don't know how to hand sew, so I do all my bindings totally by machine.  I sew it onto the back first, then fold over and sew to the front.  I am happy with the results, and find it for me to be neater and faster.  Once I did a few, the results are pretty even and it is easy to avoid any mistakes.  Try both methods and do what feels right for you!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005 10:31:33 PM »

You may also quilt starting from one side and moving toward the other, which I personally find easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sony Vegas simple tutorial: How to upload faster
Sony Vegas tutorial: How to make 2 or more clones
How to Find Recent Files in Photoshop
Invert Adjustment Layer-Make a Color Infra Red Effect Action
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...