A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottlecaps+pictures and resin=FUN JEWELERY (Image heavy)  (Read 2647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gurlzcanrock2

Photography echoes life.

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2005 11:20:30 AM »

Awhile ago I started experimenting with resin, and I got addicted. I started collecting bottlecaps from all my friends and have amassed quite a collection now. But anyways, I started making necklaces and earrings with them using some pictures I've taken, little rhinestones and trinkets, and then pouring resin to seal them. Now, whenever I wear them out someone notices and I've decided to try to sell them. Any imput at all would be greatly appreciated. Like which ones would be most popular? and How much should I sell them for?
Thanks!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/gurlzcanrock2/hairsprayearrings.jpg
here's earrings I made from my Hairspray programs

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/gurlzcanrock2/createnecklace.jpg
and a necklace made with a charm that says "create"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/gurlzcanrock2/caps.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/gurlzcanrock2/caps2.jpg
and some random ones I've made.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010 06:23:45 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: Removed img tags due to missing/moved pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Did I post something you might want to buy? Check out my etsy shop! www.gchorddesigns.e tsy.com
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005 11:43:25 AM »

Wow! Those are all really cool! Pretty pretty pretty!

I have no idea how to price things, sorry, but I really do like the ones in the third picture. Pretty colors! Are all of these pictures under the resin? The cool colored ones look like paints or something. I want to make some of these now. So, where do you get resin, and how do you prepare (melt?) it for the bottle caps?

Anyway, great stuff! Good luck selling them! (I know I'd buy some if I weren't broke!  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005 01:44:10 PM »

I absolutely love the ones with the eyes!!!
About which ones would sell, the public is fickle. Keep on making what you like and put it all up for sale. What doesn't sell, you keep and make more of the ones that sold.
Great job by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
gurlzcanrock2

Photography echoes life.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005 03:25:09 PM »

Are all of these pictures under the resin? The cool colored ones look like paints or something. I want to make some of these now. So, where do you get resin, and how do you prepare (melt?) it for the bottle caps?

Anyway, great stuff! Good luck selling them! (I know I'd buy some if I weren't broke!  Grin)

The pictures are indeed under the resin. And you can get resin from like a local craft store. I used castin' craft kind. And you have to get a catalyst for it too or else it'll never set. But it's toxic, so you should prepare it in a ventilated area b/c the fumes can get to you. But besides that, it's pretty easy. Thanks for the compliments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Did I post something you might want to buy? Check out my etsy shop! www.gchorddesigns.e tsy.com
HelloGoodbye

There is no Harry in team!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005 12:15:06 AM »

They're really great!!   Smiley

And I saw Hairspray too, wasn't it fabulous?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

With every mistake, we must surely be learning...
evilwench
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005 12:40:38 AM »

These are awesome! I love the sheer inventiveness of the media  Grin

kaleesi had a great point... make what you like, and don't worry so much about what's "mass marketable". You'll discover what sells as you go... besides, if you spend all your time doing what other people like, you may find that it's not so much fun anymore  Sad

As far as pricing goes, I usually try to use a formula that takes into account cost of materials, and time actively spent making the item... so the first thing you have to figure out is, how much is your time worth.  Personally, I think the base minimum an artist should pay her (or him)self is $10.00 an hour. The more of an "expert" you are, the more you should pay yourself (this helps account for the fact that the better you are at something, the faster you tend to be... and you shouldn't be penalized for it lol).

So let's say you put $3.00 into materials, and you spend half an hour making the item. If you had decided to pay yourself $15.00 an hour, that would work out to $10.50 for the item. At that point it's up to you to decide if this will be the final selling price, or if you need to adjust slightly to accommodate the market (something which may take a bit of trial and error to figure out)... sometimes the materials+time method works just fine... sometimes you realize that you could sell what you made for significantly more. If people don't mind paying more, don't feel bad about charging "so much". 

Remember that customers have kind of an odd approach to buying... on the one hand, they don't want to get ripped off... on the other, the higher the cost of an item, the greater the perceived value. If you don't charge ENOUGH for your jewelry, people will assume it's junk and they wont want to buy it at all... people are funny like that lol.

Well, that's enough from me... sorry to ramble on so much lol.  I know that pricing is often the hardest part of selling your things.  Just remember that what seems easy to you is often inconceivably difficult for your customers, and therefore highly valuable and more than worth it to them  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my dreams I can fly
FATcat

...Clutching forks and knifes to eat their bacon!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005 09:50:03 AM »

Sooooo cool! I would buy any of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Voco
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005 02:23:33 PM »

I would buy them also, those are amazingly beautiful!

Great great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bangbang
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005 06:26:22 PM »

how'd you get the holes through?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClassyLassy
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005 11:15:14 PM »

those are great! i love them all, but i love the eyes most! with pricing you just have to find what you feel comfortable with, and that usually takes some trial and error to figure out, but all artist's go through it. but you should NEVER undersell yourself. if you are confident in your pricing and what you make then that will show when you're talking to customers.

but anyways, if you do decided to start selling let me know! i'd love to possibly buy a pair of those eyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop: Using the Render Effect
How to Use Distort Filters in Photoshop
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...