A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sexy Wine Nightgown *NOW WITH TUTORIAL*  (Read 28837 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thelxiopeia
« on: August 07, 2005 01:47:22 AM »

I couldn't sleep tonight and I guess I thought having some new pretty thing to sleep in would help somehow.  Also, I had some fabric left over from something that didn't turn out right.  So this is what happened.

Silly pose.  Maybe I'll add lace to the bottom later, but now I'm going to bed.  Smiley

A couple of people asked for a tutorial.  This is the first one I've done, so let me know if something isn't clear.

Materials:
satin or other non-stretchy material
1/2" wide ribbon
thread

Color Key:
light aqua = outside of dress
dark aqua = inside of dress
light pink = front of ribbon
dark pink = back of ribbon

The Gown
1.  First, you have to wait until about 2 in the morning some time when you can't sleep.  Wink Then, measure from right above your breasts down to where you want the dress to reach on your legs and add 1".  Fold the fabric in half and cut it to this length.  Measure around your body where you took the first measurement.  Divide this by 4.  Add 5/8" for seam allowance.  Measure around the largest part of your hips.  Take whichever measurement is the largest, either the boobs or the butt, add at least 6", and divide by 4.  Either way, if you wear higher than a B cup, add more than 6". I know this because mine feels a tad too tight.  Embarrassed Also add more if you don't want a slit on one side.

2.  Measuring from the fold of the fabric outward, make a mark at the top of the fabric using the first measurement.
Make a mark at the bottom of the fabric using the second measurement.
Draw a straight line connecting these two marks.
Cut along this line.

3.  Sew along the side edges and press the seams open.

The Straps
4.  Fold the top down 1/2" all the way around and press.  Fold it down 1/2" again and again to enclose the raw edge.  Pin all the way around.

5.  Turn the gown right side out and try it on with a regular bra.  Careful with the pins, of course.  Make two marks on the inside front where the bra straps are.  Then, measure from front to back along the bra straps.  Take the dress off and lay it flat.  Make marks on the inside back that are even with the marks in the front.

6.  Turn the gown inside out.  Cut two pieces of ribbon using the measurement you just made plus 1".  Iron down 1/2" of the ribbons on each end.

7.  Tuck this 1/2" under the fold on the top of the gown and pin each end at the marks.  Try it right side out and try on again to make sure the straps are the right length.  Turn it inside out.  Sew around the edge about 1/4" from the top.

8.  Turn the thing right side out again.  Cut another piece of ribbon to fit the top edge plus 1".  Iron down 1/2" of the ribbon.  Pin it around the top of the dress even with the edge.  The folded end should overlap the other end and line up with a side seam.  Sew the ribbon along the top and bottom of its width.

The Bow
9.  This is a little hard to explain.  If it doesnt make sense, let me know.  Or you can always just tie a piece of ribbon in a bow and hand sew it on.  Cut a piece of ribbon about 9" long and snip the edges at an angle.  Cut another piece 1 1/4".

10.  Fold the first piece in half.  Then hold it halfway down to make a loop.

11.  Press the loop flat and pin it to the other side, leaving a length of ribbon sticking out on either side.

12.  Look at the back and there should be two loops.  Sew them both to the front side as close to the center as possible.

13.  Wrap the shorter piece of ribbon around the middle and hand sew it at the back, making sure to sew it to the other ribbon and not just to itself.

14.  Line the middle up with one of the straps and hand sew it on.  You can put it on either side.

The Slit
15.  There might be better ways to do this, but here is one way.  Decide how long you want the slit to be, add 1", then cut it where you want it.  I zigzag stitched around the edge of the slit to keep it from unraveling, but you don't necessarily have to.

16.  Turn it inside out.  Fold open the slit slightly.  Iron and pin it down on either side.  Sew the little flaps down very close to the edge.

17.  Fold the bottom of the gown down 1/2" once, then again, like you did for the top.  Hem around the bottom, pivoting at the angles of the slit.

18. And there you have it.

19.  Now go to sleep.  You shouldn't be up so late. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005 09:20:54 PM by Thelxiopeia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

First you will come to the Sirens who enchant all who come near them. If any one unwarily draws in too close and hears the singing of the Sirens, his wife and children will never welcome him home again, for they sit in a green field and warble him to death with the sweetness of their song.
Robsica
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005 06:16:06 AM »

That is gorgeous, I love it! And I think lace on the bottom would be cool too. I also like how it matches your lipstick!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bloggity blog blog...knitting and life Smiley - http://cognitofiesta.blogspot.com/

I'm Squirrellywrath on Ravelry!
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005 06:33:21 AM »

That's hot.  Wish I had the talent to make something wearable in the middle of the night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
_chels
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005 09:08:53 AM »

ah, thats so cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005 09:24:34 AM »

i like it. its so pretty and sexy sleepy (if you get what i mean there...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
QueenbyQuinn
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005 11:53:56 AM »

Great color!

What painting is your icon from? Very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------Quinn
QueenByQuinn.com-Enter into a kingdom of regal handmade clothes designed by Quinn! Creative tops, skirts, and dresses!
vestal
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005 11:57:22 AM »

That's a gorgeous color.  It's kinda cocktail dress-esque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thelxiopeia
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005 02:16:14 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

What painting is your icon from?
It's from "Sirens" by C.E. Boutibonne.

Wish I had the talent to make something wearable in the middle of the night!
It wasn't terribly complicated.  Really just a tube and some ribbon.

I also like how it matches your lipstick!  Grin
Yeah, I guess it goes without saying how much I love this color.     Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

First you will come to the Sirens who enchant all who come near them. If any one unwarily draws in too close and hears the singing of the Sirens, his wife and children will never welcome him home again, for they sit in a green field and warble him to death with the sweetness of their song.
_trains__derail
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005 05:27:30 PM »

that looks really nice  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy store & my website!
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005 11:31:35 PM »

that's really cute. and you have really cute lips. and I like your signature. wow...that was awkward wasn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Chopsticks
Cooking Tuna
Soy Ginger Sauce Recipe
Thai Cream Sauce Recipe
Wasabi Paste Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...