A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
870 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool shops in Montreal?  (Read 16358 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006 02:01:45 PM »

Hi there,

I've been staying in Montreal for the past three weeks, navigating linguistic and actual waters (nonstop rain! but it's beautiful anyway).  I want to let all the Quebecois vrais on this thread know how much I adore your city, and how heartbroken I will be to leave it next weekend.  In spite of my nervous smiles and worried, uncomprehending nods at all French spoken to me, everyone has been very polite and helpful.  I haven't had any negative response to my English, even on the Francophone side of the Main (though I'm admittedly shy and earnest enough that perhaps people feel naturally compelled to be nice to pitiful me.)

That said, today I visited a fantastic vintage/handmade clothing store called Jake's of Montreal.  It's on St. Denis a couple blocks (west?) from Duluth.  They sell really interesting and unique reconstructed clothing.  Some of the things they sell aren't really beyond the scope of what most any Craftster could do with a thrift-store sweatshirt and a pair of scissors, but the vast majority have their own distinct style, which makes them worth the overall-reasonalbe prices charged.  Especially for folks like myself, who have certain talents but not those involved in constructing garments. 

Also, on Duluth just before St. Denis (south?) there's a little toy shop, with the sweetest proprietress.  It's called La Grande Ourse.  They sell handmade wooden objects, sewn things, some books and other items, and felted stuffed animals.  They also sell a little bit of yarn, and they do felting classes and a variety of other classes (I think.  The brochure is en Francais, so I can't get all of it).  It's a very sweet place to buy gifts for little ones. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
deathtosweatpants
Commander in Chief of the 44th Batallion of Flying Monkeys

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006 04:59:38 PM »

Aawwwwwww...  shucks, thanks about the sweet compliments on our fair city!  And thanks for the info on those two shops, I never even knew they existed!  I'm glad that people were kind to you (so it's not just us saying we're nice!), and that you enjoyed your stay even though the past week has been a little... wet!  Take care and come back soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Confusion is next."
craft-matic
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006 06:36:09 PM »

I actually have a correction about the shop name; it's Chez Jack, not Jake's.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
supermitaines
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006 05:32:10 PM »

For cool shops, there's Moulin on Notre-Dame,  the owner is a sweetheart and will help with any knitting issue but, it's a little expensive (they carry a lot of high end yarns) but it's worth it.  Otherwise, there's la Bobineuse on St-Hubert who'll spin any type of yarn to create some unique yarn blends for you.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the ramblings

http://supermitaines.blogspot.com
CraftyLea14
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006 05:54:40 PM »

Hey guys..
Umm just a correction. Loiseau Bleu is on the Green Line. The closest metro station is Pie-X|. Then you can walk down Pie-X|, until you hit St-Catherine (15 minute walk) ( You will comme across a Village des Valeurs and another <Friperie> i cant remember the name of ) or take 139 bus down there.
I work @ Loiseau bleu now Cheesy Yayy ! Holla at me when ur there Grin

And while your at Oiseau bleu, Visit Le Vertige (store next door) and La cocinelle jaune ( a few stores down ).
There not craft store but there AMAZIIING !
Anyways !

See yaah
Jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amberg

Shary Boyle is an inspiration

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006 06:05:49 PM »

you can check out Worn Fashion Journal's site, it has some store reviews:

http://www.wornjournal.com/html/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magpie_eyes

I like shiny things!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006 07:06:41 AM »

Hiya!
  Is there any festivals or exhibits I should check out in January? (around the eleventh)  I am tagging along to the "Colloque international des etudiants en dentisterie"  with my boyfriend, and am going to be spending a lot of time by myself.  I am probably going to check out some of the places mentioned earlier on this thread.  I am super excited to go and tour around Old Montreal, because I am working on my  photography portfolio.  Any good photo ops that I shouldn't miss?  I am a little afraid of how badly I am going to butcher the French language,  but I will try!    Merci!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyinanimateobject
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007 02:26:16 PM »

THIS IS AMAZING! I've just moved to montreal and I've been feeling to craft deprived and finding it hard to find the right places! Thank you thank you thank you!

Also, I've been obsesively looking for shrinky dinks for my entire life...do you think Omer Deserre would have em'?...Or where might I find such an item?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm feeling alot better now that my joints are oiled!"
Girl Annual
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007 01:00:34 PM »

thoughts I'd post a Omer Desseres Update;  it's not on st catheirne up by atwater anymore, that one closed and moved to Place Montreal Trust - still on st catherines, but further east, right by Ave.Mgcill College .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamian
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008 08:59:00 PM »

Ooh, this is great information--I moved to Montreal from the States a little over a month ago (and totally love it here so far!), and the only art store I'd been able to find was Art-tec on Sherbrooke-O.

Oh, and this is off-topic, but how am I supposed to not constantly fall down when the sidewalks ice over? Is there some kind of trick the locals use?  (I come from a place that never snows so I'm clueless) Huh  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegan-Style Mac and Cheese
A Midwestern Twist on Chicken Vesuvio
Southern Fried Chicken – Made by a Kentucky Native
Award-Winning Shrimp Linguini With Craig Hazelbaker in Cedar Rapids, IA
Barbecue Shrimp With Maze Jackson in Chicago, IL
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...