A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool shops in Montreal?  (Read 16577 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squeaky_kleen
« on: August 05, 2005 12:43:54 PM »

Hey everyone!
I know from a few older topics that I'm not the only Montrealer. I'm new here and I'm looking for some good craft shops and thrift shops. I live near the Atwater Metro station if that helps.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/
allie-loki
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005 08:20:39 PM »

you just made me very homesick. i lived at atwater for 5yrs before i moved to TO last summer, god i miss shaughnessy village*so* much.

there are tons of thriftshops on mt-royal but they are pretty pricey! there are some slightly cheaper ones along st-laurent.
i cant help with craft shops BUT if you're not too shy to ask go stand outside lasalle college and ask some of the fashion students there. im sure they'll be happy to help.

p.s.: how is Coffee (the scary looking white haired guy who yells "change for coffee" right outside presse caffee on sainte catherine??? oooh and how about banana man at concordia metro.

p.p.s.: do you live on lambert-closse? do you live in my old apartment??

p.p.p.s.: the fries are NOT vegetarian. i dont care what the bitchy old lady tells you, they fry them in lard. of course you wont care if youre not vegetarian but my friends and i were *really* angry when we found out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005 09:04:38 PM »

im going on a trip to montreal in a week or so and im sooo excited! i'd love reccomendations for fun places to go, especially ones that sell handmade.

thanks for the heads-up about the fries. no lard for this girl!

p.s. do montrealers get mad when people don't speak french?
 Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allie-loki
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005 05:31:23 AM »

generally montrealers are okay with people who speak english. i think the main issue is they assume everyone is born in quebec and should, therefore, be able to speak a little french so they get annoyed if you dont make an effort. my fiance has found that if he says tiny things like "allo," "merci," "un cafe s'il-vous-plait," then people think he is trying so they are nicer to him. if you stick with the western half of the island (mcgill/peel metros going west) people will have NOOOO problem with you speaking enligsh because a lot of them dont speak french either!

youlittlerabbit: i thought of more places last night. first there is Omer DeSerres right next too blockbuster on st-catherine (i'd be surprised if you hadn't spotted it already) BUT.. if you walk east along st-catherine on the lefthand side of the street there is an independent store somewhere close to guy street. i dont remember which intersection it is at but it is big and easy to spot so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it.
i'll update if i think of other places!

haha oh i just thought of another place! they sell ribbons/buttons/thread/etc but NOT fabric. i forget what this place is called too but it is close to Omer DeSerres. walk east from lambert-closse on st-catherine about half a block, they are on the south side of the street in a semi-basement. you will probably see one or two guys sitting on a bench between this store and Omer DeSerres. the one is smallish and has a white goatee and the prettiest smile. last i saw him he had a red cap. this dude is awesome, please dont ignore him. if you say hi to him or say youre sorry because you have no change, he might tell you that he wouldnt take money from you because your smile is worth a million $. he's so cool.. but i never gave him money. just food. he likes milk a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gink
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005 06:47:55 AM »

Thrift Shops:
Sally Anne's (Arm du Salut)- has locations all over, but the best one is on Notre Dame off of Guy.
Renaissance - Jean Talon and St Laurent
There's also one whose name escapes me on St Laurent around Mont Royal.

Fabric Shops:
Fabricland is a chain which, if you buy the membership, gives pretty substantial discounts. There's one on St. Catherine somewhere between St Denis and Bleury. There's also one in NDG on Summerlet.
I believe I mentioned this in another post, but St Hubert between Jean Talon and Jerri is a fabric store wonderland. Just go there. Three blocks of fabric stores.

Craft Shops:
Omar DeSerres will have everything you need, but it's also crazy expensive. I buy all my craft supplies at the Concordia student craft store - it's only supposed to be for students, but they rarely ask anyone for id, and if you just look like you belong, it should be fine. Not to mention the fact that it's the easiest thing in the world to get a Concordia ID card, and they're valid for a good 5-6 years.

As for the language question, my two cents would be that mostly people don't get snotty if you don't speak French, but you can't expect them to speak English, especially if you go east.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

youlittlerabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005 07:38:52 AM »

oooo, wow, this is a huge help. i am going to print out this thread and bring it in my backpack. i am going with my mom (this little family has not had a trip together in years) and she is also seriously crafty, so this list is perfect!

sorry to ask anything else, since you both already told me such awesome hints but: any suggestions of nice-but-not-extremely-pricey places to stay?

Grin allie-loki, if i see your red-capped man, i will give him money/food and a big hello! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Iz
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005 07:59:07 AM »

BUT.. if you walk east along st-Catherine on the lefthand side of the street there is an independent store somewhere close to guy street. i don't remember which intersection it is at but it is big and easy to spot so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it. 

Sounds like British Blue Print to me! Their prices on some things are wayyyy cheaper than Omer but I suggest you shop around a bit because sometines they're more expensive too. For art stuff you can also go to the suplies shop in Collge LaSalle. There is also the Bureauphile in the UQAM main building (accessible from metro Berri-UQAM), a little tricky to find but stellar savings, and you don't need a student ID.

haha oh i just thought of another place! they sell ribbons/buttons/thread/etc but NOT fabric. i forget what this place is called too but it is close to Omer DeSerres. walk east from lambert-closse on st-catherine about half a block, they are on the south side of the street in a semi-basement. you will probably see one or two guys sitting on a bench between this store and Omer DeSerres. the one is smallish and has a white goatee and the prettiest smile. last i saw him he had a red cap. this dude is awesome, please dont ignore him. if you say hi to him or say youre sorry because you have no change, he might tell you that he wouldnt take money from you because your smile is worth a million $. he's so cool.. but i never gave him money. just food. he likes milk a lot.

The shop is called the Dressmaker's. And I heard about this guy from a coworker who used to hang out with him! His name is Jo-Jo and he loves people!

The coolest thrift shop is Eva B. on St-Laurent, north of DeMaisonneuve. The first section when you enter is dedicated to small--production creations and recons, but if you go a bit deeper you'll find treasure of bygone-eras, and chic stuff in good condition. They even have suits and evening wear, all for cheap!

Oh and about the French issue, about a third to half of the people on the island are Anglophones anyways. But nothing melts my Frenchie heart more that an anglo making the effort to try to speak to me in French, even just a bit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005 08:04:19 AM »

thanks for the heads-up about the fries. no lard for this girl!

i just re-read the post where i mentioned the fries. i guess it would help if i said which restaurant i was even talking about? ok so.. the place is Moe's and everyone loves it because it is small, friendly, and best of all open 24/7. it is at the corner of Lambert-Closse and DeMaisonneuve.

as for places to stay i dont really know. you should probably try stay somewhere outside of place-des-arts to peel (e/w) and sherbrooke to st-catherine (n/s) if you are trying to save money because i imagine the hotels in that part of downtown are $$$. you may want to look for a place around berri metro or concordia maybe? theyre close but not completely central so they'd be slightly cheaper while still somewhat conveniently located. there's one place at fort/st-catherine that seems fairly nice and is right in the neighborhood we're talking about here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005 08:12:52 AM »

But nothing melts my Frenchie heart more that an anglo making the effort to try to speak to me in French, even just a bit Smiley

hahaha oh man. im french but have been living with anglos and going to english schools for years so i have a slight and really weird accent when i speak french now. it seems everytime i go back to mtl it is worse. last time i was there some girl in a clothing store said "your french is soooo good! is one of your parents french??" yeh, both of them. then in some restaurant i placed my order in french and my friend had to do it in english (doesnt speak french. duh). later on in the meal he goes to the washroom and the waiter starts speaking to me in english but he's really struggling. so i tell them he can speak french, and he says "no no. i practice english with english customers. it really helps me learn!" so i told him i was french and at first he didnt believe me so i busted out some lac st-jean type quebecois.

i dont know if i should be offended when this happens? maybe i should be evil and take advantange of the fact that people think i am awesome for going out of my way to speak french...

my poor poor separatist father. i am an awful child.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeaky_kleen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005 05:56:11 PM »

you just made me very homesick. i lived at atwater for 5yrs before i moved to TO last summer, god i miss shaughnessy village*so* much.

there are tons of thriftshops on mt-royal but they are pretty pricey! there are some slightly cheaper ones along st-laurent.
i cant help with craft shops BUT if you're not too shy to ask go stand outside lasalle college and ask some of the fashion students there. im sure they'll be happy to help.

p.s.: how is Coffee (the scary looking white haired guy who yells "change for coffee" right outside presse caffee on sainte catherine??? oooh and how about banana man at concordia metro.

p.p.s.: do you live on lambert-closse? do you live in my old apartment??

p.p.p.s.: the fries are NOT vegetarian. i dont care what the bitchy old lady tells you, they fry them in lard. of course you wont care if youre not vegetarian but my friends and i were *really* angry when we found out.

Hehe, thanks for your help. So far I haven't met any Coffee guy or Banana man but I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for them. I don't live on Lambert-closse, sorry! And I'm not a vegetarian but a few of my friends are so I'll pass the warning on to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Glam with Gretchen: Nail How To
Elevator Makeover - Style Tips with Theodore Leaf
How to Get Glowing Skin for Your Wedding Day
Back-to-School Statement Nail Inspiration
Get the 2-Minute Smoky Eye With Tips From Kayleen McAdams!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...