A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pleated kitty skirt :D TUTORIAL  (Read 79080 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dusk
« on: August 05, 2005 06:40:32 AM »

so i was casually wandering through the john lewis haberdashery... not looking to buy anything, honest... when i found kittycat fabric:  Cheesy

comme ci!

so homeward I bore a treasured bag of textilian fab-ness, and i made me this:

I had a look at a pleated skirt I already own, then made it without a pattern. I am reallyreally pleased with how it came out, because all the seams and pleats are neat, and the length is great... and it has kittycats all over! (prrrrrrr) It is pretty simple to make... I could write a tutorial if anyone wants...  Undecided

loving home to comments offered  Wink

TUTORIAL

This skirt is made from 1m of fabric, so the length is based on that, but adjust as you wish!

FRONT OF SKIRT

1)   Cut 45cm of fabric (this makes the length of the skirt). The width needs to be half your waist (or where you want the top of the skirt to sit on you, do not underestimate this measurement!), plus 80cm plus minimum 3cm for seam allowances.

2)   Hem the fabric (diagram 1)

(I did this by folding the edge of the fabric under twice, ironing, and hand stitching it down with a diagonal stitch, making the skirt 43cm long, but hem how you wish really but its easier to do this before putting the pleats in.)

3)   Mark out the lines shown in diagram 2 for the pleats with tailors chalk.

(Use measuring tape etc to make it neat and accurate (the numbers show the cm between each line) and measure from the centre so each side is equal.)

4)   Now fold the pleats along the lines. (See diagram 3) From the front, they should appear to lie AWAY from the centre. Pin them in place and IRON well.

5)   Now get the sewing machine out. Using a straight stitch, sew along the edge of each pleat from the top of the skirt to 12cm down (diagram 4)

BACK OF SKIRT
6)   Cut 2 pieces of fabric 45cm long, and  your waist measurement, plus 56cm plus minimum 3cm seam allowances wide. Hem as before, making sure the lengths are equal to the front piece. These pieces make up the back of the skirt.

7)   Measure out the lines as shown in diagram 5 on the 2 pieces (one a mirror-image of the other measure away from the center back)

Cool   Fold, pin, iron and sew the pleats as before, with the pleats appearing to lie away from the centre back.

9)   Pin the two back pieces right side together along the center back. Sew these together (you have allowed for a minimum 1.5cm seam allowance), leaving 10cm at the top to insert a zip. Tack this 10cm gap closed.

10)    Lie the front piece and the back piece together right sides together. The top, bottom and pleats in the fabric should line up. Pin the pieces together. Now measure your waist measurement plus 1cm from the center on the top edge of the fabric, mark this.

11)   From this mark, measure a further 15cm on the bottom edge. (see diagram 6)

12)   Draw a straight diagonal line between these marks. Pin or tack along this line and check the fit of the skirt. Cut 1.5cm away from this line (for seam allowance), and sew along this diagonal line. (repeat on other edge of skirt)
   N.B. I finished my seams by folding the raw edge under itself and sewing it, but if your fabric does not fray easily, you can simply finish the edge with pinking shears.

WAISTBAND
13)    Cut a 10-14cm wide piece of fabric that is the length of your waist plus 3cm. This is for the waistband.
14)    Fold this piece in half wrong sides together (so it is 5-7cm wide), pin and iron.

INTERFACING WAISTBAND (optional)
15)    Cut a piece of firm interfacing that is the length of your waist, and the width of your folded waistband minus 1.5cm. Place inside the folded waistband, and sew along the top edge. (see diagram 7)

16)    Unfold the waistband, and pin one edge right sides together all round the top of the skirt. Sew 1.5cm from the edge, then fold the waistband up so the seam is on the INSIDE of the skirt and the waistband extends above the top of the skirt.
17)   Fold the other edge of the waistband 1.5cm under itself (it helps to iron the fold). Re-fold the waistband in half so that the un-sewn edge is on the INSIDE of the skirt.
You can fold the waistband over such that it covers the seam attaching the other edge to the skirt.

18)   Pin this edge on the inside of the skirt. Hand sew it down.

ZIP
19)   You now need to insert a zip into the back. I did this by placing the front of the zip against the tacked-together gap at the back, pinning the sides of the zip to the skirt, and sewing through the zip and the skirt as close as possible to the teeth of the zip. I also sewed a hook and eye above the zip to completely close the gap.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005 07:00:39 AM by dusk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not evil, just drawn that way!"
corduroy cat
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005 06:43:53 AM »

wow! i love it Smiley the fabric is great, might have to drop by john lewis metinks.....too bad i can't sew it and make a lovely skirt like yours. mine would probably turn into a box liner or bookcover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artymoi
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005 06:48:29 AM »

Fantastic Job!  Adorable fabric and just the right style skirt for it!  I also wish I could sew like you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasplet
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005 06:50:29 AM »

man, that fabric is adorable. my john lewis has absolutely nothing in the way of fabric, so you got lucky there! and it's a really nice skirt too, i love puffy/ pleated/ swishy things so much. don't you feel so pretty wearing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005 08:47:56 AM »

oh man. that IS fab. ridiculously fab, not less. annnnd cue my jealousy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
RoCkiN_StRaWbErRy

MmMmM StrAwBeRrY KiTtY!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005 12:49:16 PM »

i love that fabric!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005 12:51:42 PM »

How cool is that?  Fantabulous retro kitties!  They look perfect for that skirt.   Grin   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mophopstepjump

seam rippers are my life.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005 12:53:23 PM »

That fabric is pretty!  I love pleated skirts.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?
amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005 03:00:19 PM »

that's so cute. i love the fabric. i usually find the best fabric when i go places not even looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
darkdiva
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005 03:05:37 PM »

I want it!!!! Great job and the fabric is fabulous  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extend the Life of Your Leftover Burgers with Bacon
A Bunless Burger You Can Try This Weekend!
Learn How to Make Hamburger Croissants
New Mustard Toppings for Your Summer Burger
Love Mayo? Try One of These 5 New Burger Toppings This Weekend!
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...