A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Windy City and Hot Head Questions  (Read 1262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aknittedmegan
« on: December 09, 2005 09:44:18 PM »

Hello!  I have searched the boards but I did not find an answer to either of these questions:

In the Windy City scarf, is there a particular way to attach and start working with the second skein (when you begin the keyhole)?  My first thought was to just pick up the yarn and knit but I am not sure if that is secure.

And then, for Hot Head, are the finished circumferences listed based on the size of head you have?  Mine is 22" so I assume I would make the Large size in that case.  But I want to be sure since I feel like there's no way to check until after it's finished (although maybe there is a way to check, but I don't know it yet?).

Thank you for all your help.  Smiley

--Megan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bird nerd
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 01:32:10 AM »

I have made the hot head, and I made the medium for someone with a big head, but the beauty of the ribbing is  it fits to whatever size head you have! It's nice and stretchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 07:55:16 AM »

I think I made the medium for myself, but I wished I'd made it bigger.  But I like roomy hats, and I didn't want to have to stretch the ribbing all the way just to wear it.  But bird nerd is right about the ribbing--it makes it hard to mess up the size.

For the scarf, somewhere in SNB there's a discussion on how to add a new ball at the beginning of the row (which would work, even though you're technically in the middle).  I'd just loop the yarn through the base of the stitch and tie a sturdy little knot, and then just weave the ends in. Then again, I'm a compulsive knot maker.  You could always go back and untie and weave the ends in.  It would'nt go anywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 08:15:46 AM »

i'd vote for making hot head smaller than you think you'll need. as bird nerd noted, ribbing is very stretchy. i made the large for my husband and the circumference is fine, but it's kind of long. he has to flip the bottom of the hat up or else it would cover his eyes. oh well, he likes it anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
aknittedmegan
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 01:17:46 PM »

Thanks for your replies everyone.   Smiley  I have successfully made it past the keyhole!  I'm looking forward to starting on the Hot Head and I'll go with Medium size since you are right about ribbing.  I didn't even think of that  Embarrassed  I will try to post a picture of both things when they are done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
awtrlilee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005 03:01:46 PM »

even tho this post is days old, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents-i made the hot head for our 5 year old-i think i did medium-(her head's already like, 22 inches) and it's way too big--I used the soft caron stuff with some kind of eyelash-y type stuff-but yeah, way big.  It's cute but, I don't think she cares too much for it...(but I think it's adorable when she wears it...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mat Your Photos Like the Pros
Three Ways to Make a Bookmark
How to Make Wine Cork X and O Stamps
How to Make a Valentine’s Jewelry Bag
How to Make Scrapbooks with Leeza Gibbons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...