A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sales question  (Read 1968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexscreations
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004 11:51:04 AM »

The soaps that they sell for $5 are 4 to 6 ounces most of the time..which is what we soapers have to sell ours at for retail in order to turn a profit.

The $2 soaps are small round soaps with basic ingredients that aren't hard to come by....pretty hard to convince someone to pay $5 for them..lol..maybe I'm just too honest  Wink

Yeah, honesty in business is a problem, I've found.  Wink  But it's good to be able to live with yourself!  I guess there's some sort of balance to be struck here, where you can be honest and still make money.  

Argh.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missyvonne
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004 04:05:48 AM »

for me, i have to keep doing it because i love it. the money comes if im true to that. the minute im all about the dollar, im quitting=)
deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Harold! That was your last date!"  -Harold and Maude
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004 05:44:41 AM »

I dont know why, your site is attrAactive and your products look nice and have fair prices.  My friend and I have a handbag website and it makes about 200 a month.  But we're also still in school and can't make as many bags as we wish we could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who Gives A Shirt?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004 11:20:42 AM »

I've got some badly-written tips that you can take or leave - most have worked for me, but I'm in a different kind of market!

- If you find a decent web host (I use www.pair.com) at a decent price (I pay $5 a month), it shouldn't cost you much to keep the website running 24/7.  Make sure you've coded all of your pages properly, with metatags (i.e. keywords) out the wazoo.  I've been running my business kind of in the background for the past few months; while sales have dwindled, they're still happening!  People are finding the site and specific shirts based on the keywords they're using to search.

- Get your URL linked and mentioned on as many sites as possible.  One of my most web-savvy pals claims this is the real key to attracting customers.  For the record, any Craftster member who is willing to post a link to my site will in return be linked on mine! (http://www.whogivesashirt.ca/links.html)

- Try linking up with a like-minded business (but preferably not a direct competitor).  See if you can figure out a value-added kind of scheme.  I hooked up with some independent music labels, who give me free samplers to include in my shirt packages.  Maybe a local homemade-craft shop or antiques store would be willing to buy some soaps from you as a bonus for their customers?

- On the flipside, approaching a direct competitor might give you some leverage to consider running a common store - be it online or brick-n'-mortar.

- If I were a soap manufacturer (or a crafter with a similarly unique and decadent product) I'd be approaching other bombonniere-type businesses.  For one thing, you'll get to mass-produce your soaps, and for another, you can charge through the nose for them!  If you're interested in going this route, ask your local newspaper if they publish a "wedding supplement" at any point of the year.  It might be worth taking out an ad, or writing a press release like "10 bombonniere ideas you may not have thought of!"  Gift-basketeers (not a real word, but it sounds fun, don't it? Cheesy) are always on the lookout for affordably-priced items to test out.

- My concern with your sales slowdown is that you're only making a quarter on each sale.  If the soap is hefty enough, and is handmade, there's no reason you can't charge closer to $3 (keep in mind the power of the $X.99 for coming in under a psychological barrier!).  If you're not making money (like, MONEY, not change!) on each sale, there's not much point in paying to keep your site afloat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
http://www.whogivesashirt.ca
==================
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Stimpy
How to Draw Captain Hook
How to Draw Big Buck Bunny
Selective White Balance in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...