A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gorgeous sweater from #27 filati issue  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Athos
« on: March 31, 2004 11:37:17 AM »

i am completely in love with this sweater:
http://www.lanagrossa.com/filati/filati_27/vs_e.php3?picture=2

i just bought the issue with the pattern, and i want to start it after i finish a small sock project. my question is about yarn substitution. i think the sweater -as is- is gorgeous. however, it will probably cost about a hundred dollars to make. is it worth it, because i really think i'd love it?  or should i search for a more cost-effective substitution? it calls for a silk/linen blend for the body and india cotton ribbon for the accent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004 12:45:07 PM »

Personally - Even if I could afford it, I never feel totally satisfied if I don't check out all my options first... Who knows, maybe you could find a yarn you would like more, for less money?

If you can't find any other yarn you'd be satisfied with using, you can afford it, it's the yarn for you, I'd say go for what the pattern calls for... More often than not I find myself NOT being able to splurge $100 to make a sweater but I still feel that with the right pattern & quality yarn, where else can you get some gorgeous custom made sweater for $100?

Many designer boutiques sell sweaters that are machine made in  a sweatshop for $100+ dollars... So in my little brain, $100 would seem resonable for a fantastic handmade sweater...

Oh oh and the sweater is beautiful! I might have to get myself that pattern... yum!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004 12:47:57 PM by rox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
jpants
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004 06:01:53 AM »

Do you ever check out elann.com?  if not, it might be the place to find a substitution.  they have absolutely gorgeous yarns for up to 60% off.  i check it all the time for substitutions for things that i wouldn't be able to afford to make otherwise.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004 06:36:55 AM »

That is a gorgeous sweater. I wouldn't hesitate to choose a different yarn.   If I were you, I'd do a little research about the suggested yarn--if you can get your hands on a skein to see what it feels like, that helps.  I'm guessing that the silk-linen blend makes it a very drapey yarn with some sheen.  You can probably approximate that effect with a cotton-rayon or cotton-linen blend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004 07:05:04 AM »

Just an update--I saw a sample sweater in my LYS this weekend that must have been from this pattern.  It was absolutely spectacular.  The yarn up close looked like a worsted weight slubby blend.  I bet you could substitute a textured cotton-rayon blend like Classic Elite Believe or Imagine (both coincidentally available at elann.com). The cotton tape yarn looked like it might be hard to duplicate--if I were you I'd splurge on a few balls of the tape, and substitute to your heart's content on the main yarn.

(Discliamer: no affiliation with elann--I just like their site!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Athos
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004 02:26:51 PM »

thanks for the suggestion, i'll check it out. i'm hoping to make it to my LYS this weekend to examine the yarn the pattern calls for in person, and then perhaps i'll be better qualified to guess on a substitute.

i'm excited that you've seen something similar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Quartz Composure - Pixelmator
How to Create Godzilla - Pixelmator
How to Create a Blurred Background - Pixelmator
How to Create a Glossy Menu - Pixelmator
How to Create Wavy Lines - Illustrator
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #107 Announced – Bottle It Up
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...