A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Canadian Easter Egg-Stra-Va-Gan-Zah!  (Read 3905 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2004 12:25:14 PM »

This is from a CANADIAN Book of Holidays. I've lived here my whole life and I was not familiar with many of these customs. So I thought I would share a few of these fine vintage Canadian Festival of Easter photos with some of our American cousins in case they are curious about our many interesting and crafty customs.

The Hanging of the Hens. Look at those eggs dangling playfully from their non-reproductive organs. (Glad I'm not a hen.)

These delightful Canadian flowers are seen growing wild throughout our fields and forests during early April. (Latin name is ovus giganticus.) Canadian youths pick large bunches of them, carrying them home to their "bungalows" (the traditional Canadian dwelling) where the Canadian parent or legal guardian smashes the flower's hard shell, and scoops out the tasty meat to be found inside the flower. When combined with mayonaise (may-eh-nayse), chopped onion and salt and pepper, Canadians enjoy "Egg Salad" sandwiches (a traditional and rare Canadian delicacy).

Beautifully "hand-crafted" (how exactly do you make an egg?) Canadian (again I say, "h'uh?") Easter eggs. So very different from the Easter eggs in other lands. How? Notice the uppermost egg. The creature hunkered down there resembles a rabbit but in actuality it is a beaver wearing one of those bunny-ear headband things. While the Easter Bunny is busy visiting other countries, the Easter Beaver visits Canada. (Hence the origins and continued popularity of the Canadian phrase, "dammit, dammit, dammit!", (still used today by many contemporary Canadian crafters when faced with a particularly ornery project.)

The text says "Canadian Easter eggs". What makes them Canadian? Your guess is as good as mine.

No shortage of eggs here, folks.

And of course, Chick on a Stick, the ever-popular rollicking, frolicking Easter game enjoyed by young and old alike. (Ouch!) (You could SO put somebody's eye out with that!)

The Easter Tree. Okay. "...It will capture many hearts. In the middle of the street and on both sides of the river." (I am not making that up.)  "The Easter Tree represents the Tree of Life." Or alternatively, The Tree of Lunch.

You want that toasted or plain?

DISCLAIMER: No eggs, chicks, ovum, wild flowers, bunnies or living beings of any sort were harmed during the making of this post. Viewing the first photo in this post for extended periods may permanently damage your retina. So. Don't. Thank you.

Happy Easter everybody.  Wink

« Last Edit: April 08, 2004 05:16:46 PM by indie anna 58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004 01:09:41 PM »

that is hilarious!!
and this whole time i thought you were from indiana Grin
thanks for sharing such eggcellent history.  (i know, ma bad).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004 05:20:07 PM »

Glad you enjoyed this attempt at a "cultural exchange". (Now we know why I got kicked out of the diplomatic corps  Roll Eyes). Nope. Not from Indianna. And 1958 is the year my fave automobile was manufactured.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Kar-UH
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004 06:54:14 PM »

Ahhh IndieAnna, YOU ROCK! I especially liked this part of your post
While the Easter Bunny is busy visiting other countries, the Easter Beaver visits Canada. (Hence the origins and continued popularity of the Canadian phrase, "dammit, dammit, dammit!"

because well where I live is beaver territory. They are sooo cute Smiley
Who ever decorated those eggs musta spent a lot of time, they do look great and I bet they taste even yummier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004 03:55:20 PM »

being from the other side of the pond, i know little about canada except what americans have told me: that canadians are obsessed with (often bizarre) winter sports, and say "eh" a lot. I never knew that canadian culture encluded such a rich tradition of easter, errr, fun.

in my country of birth, greece, there is no easter bunny. instead, at easter, hard-boiled eggs are dyed red, symbolic of the blood of christ (yum!), and children are given live chicks as pets, which are fed on a traditional diet of chips and sweets and invariably die within the week. this from the country that brought you - and i'm not kidding - the christmas boat, as a predecessor of the now-popular fir tree.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleidoscope

never grow old~*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004 05:20:54 PM »

Oh yes! I'm from Canada, and how this posts reminds me of my childhood!  The good old days when me and my brother would play Chick On A Stick outside our igloo. Ah yes, those were the days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004 04:59:42 AM »

Hey, kaleidoscope! Thank you so much vindicating me! So many people have accused me of "embroidering" (groan ...  Shocked) this Tale of a Canadian Easter just for the sake of a good story...they do not respect our Canadian Easter Traditions!!! But if you remember them, they must be true!

(However, why is that you and your sibling no longer uphold the beloved tradition of Chick on a Stick? I hope nobody was hurt...)

~ indie  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
kaleidoscope

never grow old~*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004 11:01:27 AM »

Tsk Tsk! They're just ignorant to our ways up North.  Why of course they're true!  You all should be ashamed of your lackage of cultural knowledge!

As for the fatelful decease of Chick On A Stick, no, no one was hurt.  It was Mom's poor Easter Tree that took the blow.  She slaved over decorating it for hours, and you know how those Easter games can be, it got a bit too rowdy and the tree was knocked over.  Ever since then she's been weary of the game
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004 04:26:57 PM »

Thank you so much for the pictures of such beloved Canadian traditions as Dangly Hens and Ukran - I mean CANADIAN Easter eggs.  Ahhh, I have spent many an hour impaling eggs on sticks for this special national holiday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004 12:16:01 PM »

I am laughing so hard stomach hurts!
Wait till my family in Canada finds out about the rich traditions they have been missing out on-- or were they just keeping it a secret from those of us in the U.S.? Hmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Texture to Drawings
How to Draw a Basic Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Face
How to Draw People in Motion
How to Become a Professional Artist
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...