A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Motherboard clock *with tutorial*  (Read 6185 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2005 02:28:29 PM »

I saw something like this (but not nearly as cool looking) on the internet for $45 awhile back, and I decided to make it for my dad for father's day.

Supplies:
Old motherboard (call computer repair stores and ask if you can have one. most have a couple sitting around)
clock kit
something for the numbers
drill with bits made for thin metal
masking tape
marker
hot glue
tweezers, hammers, wire cutters, and other things good for destroying bits.

1. When you get the board, it will most likely be covered with ports and such.  You can leave that alone, and just use the other side if you don't want to rip it off.  I personally think the side with all the stuff on it looks much neater.  But, all that junk is heavy and it will get in the way of your clock hands.  So, use whatever you can to get most of it off.  The ports on the edge were the monitor, keyboard, etc would be plugged in will not come off.  Really.  So don't try.  Little pieces will be flying everywhere, so wear goggles.  This is the hardest part.  It took me an entire day, but it was fun.

2.  Now that your board is fairly clean, mark the middle with sharpie.  Put a piece of masking tape on top of this (you can see through it) on both sides of the board.  This is to keep the board from showering you with splinters when you drill.  Secure the board to your work surface somehow.  I clamed it to wood blocks and then clamped the blocks to the table.  Pick a drill bit the same diameter as the clock shaft, and drill your hole.

3.  Assemble the clock with the board according to the instructions that came with it.

4.  Add the finishing touches.  You can use whatever for numbers.  I thought the "F" keys off a keyboard would be really neat, but I didn't have an old keyboard, so i made keys out of polymer clay.  Glue your numbers on, and it's ready to hang on the wall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gollygeeitsamy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005 02:30:00 PM »

thats awesome! im gonna show my brother, he loves stuff like that. he might let his technology class make one  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005 05:04:55 PM »

Cool clock!  And know your dad loved it Grin

I like the polymer keyboard keys too.  Think I might have been tempted to make them after making a polymer mold first, but after having just popped all my keys off the other day to clean out some coffee Roll Eyes, I learned that they all have different shaped sides depending on where they fall on the keyboard!!  ... though maybe that's only because I have an ergonomic type keyboard.  Anyway, now I do know that the keys pop off fairly easily  Wink ... it's Cat Hair Heaven under there too!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
zieak
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005 01:33:47 AM »

I made a similar one some time ago...

I used the circuit board from a laser printer that went belly up.  I'd only make one suggestion - perhaps find some brighter hands to glue on to the ones you have on - those are pretty difficult to read against the busy background.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my personal site: Ryan McFarland
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005 10:32:54 AM »

ooo, I really like the stand you rigged up for yours.  The hands actually show up much better in real life, and I thought the zig zag was spiffier than ye olde hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GwendyJ666
The Clever Orb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005 02:03:07 PM »

Those clocks rock! I'm definatly going to make one for my boyfriend as a going-away-to-college present. Question: ZIEAK, what is that you used for the stand? I really like that touch. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Crafty. Are you?
f1r3w1r3
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005 12:02:23 AM »

*makes sputtering noises* That is awesome to the point of where I want one...for my "computer closet". (it's my walk in closet with all my computer-building/robot-building stuff) *rummages for old computer bits*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zieak
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005 01:21:30 AM »

Question: ZIEAK, what is that you used for the stand? I really like that touch.

It is a heat sink from on top of an older motherboard's main chip.  On more modern boards you'd find a fan but it shouldn't be difficult to find a junk computer with one.  I can look and see if i have another kicking around for you if you'd like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my personal site: Ryan McFarland
GwendyJ666
The Clever Orb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005 07:57:35 AM »

Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure i can find one at our computer recycling center! (They have so many goodies there and it's right near my house!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Crafty. Are you?
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005 08:09:57 AM »

this is REALLY awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...