A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Traditional Sampler  (Read 1137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crana
« on: April 08, 2004 10:56:49 AM »

I want to make a traditional, antique-looking sampler for my grandparents for Xmas (yes, I plan far ahead because I'm very slooow at crafty stuff).

All the charts/kits I have found have either been expensive (the whole idea of making my own presents is to save a bit of money!) or not really what I wanted.

I have got a couple of books with alphabets, etc, in them.. does anyone have sources for more alphabets, traditional motifs / sampler sayings etc?

I am going to look through some books of quotes & sayings for a special one but any suggestions are welcome!

Book recommendations, good patterns etc all very welcome! (im in the UK if that helps!)

Thank you Smiley (and ill post piccys when im done!)

Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004 08:46:38 PM »

This site here:
http://www.freepatternsonline.com/xspatterns2.htm

has a lot of simple little images that you might be able to incorporate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
crana
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004 09:33:15 AM »

thanks!
great site Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneJane
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004 07:40:55 PM »

I too have been playing with the sampler idea and not finding what I'm looking for.  In the day, samplers were an individual sewer's encyclopedia of stitches, stitch patterns, and counted motif charts.  Often, each line was what is now called a "band".  And, guess what, band patterns are just starting to come in vouge. 

There are beginning to be new booklets etc.. for bands.  You can also find them as portions of patterns for Christmas stockings, samplers, quilts, bookmarks, towels, borders, etc...  If I remember correctly, band samplers made an appearance sometime in the '80's also. 

I've concluded that I will probably end up assembling a series of bands for a sampler sometime after the holidays.  But, if you really want to be authentic, you'll have bands of different stitches, say a block or repeting pattern motif, across half or so of the sampler with the stitch name embroidered beside it.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crana
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 09:32:56 PM »

in the end I found a kit that was pretty much what I was looking for - and I don't think I could have got the fabric & threads for the price, let alone the hours desigining it!

http://www.scottishneedlework.co.uk/newshop/traditional_samplers.htm it's the top one

I have replaced the 2 birds and theheart are roughly in the centre with my name, the year, and two hearts Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missbillie

jack-o-lantern, smack-o-lantern

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005 11:15:11 AM »

I think the idea of a sampler is to really test out your skills and practice your stitches while making something personal yet presentable...  I'm working on one right now, and since I love this quote so much, I'll lend it out:

"We are too rich in love to be poor".

As soon as I'm done, I'll post the pic.  A great way to get the lettering down is to go on an illustrator program, type the quote in your favorite font, reverse the image, print, use your transfer pencil and iron it on as a guide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been in trouble ever since I set my suitcase down.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diane Von Furstenberg on Taking Risks
Sonia Choquette: From Humbled to Healed
From The Archives: Best-Selling Authors
Diane Von Furstenberg on Childhood
Diane Von Furstenberg on Living Fully
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...