A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Bobbin Race  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 03, 2005 07:33:01 AM »

Now, I have a feeling I'm just being an idiot. But the top thread on my machine seems to insist on winding itself all up round the bobbin race, instead of just dipping in and out to catch the bobbin thread. Because the machine is only a month or two old and does not have anything visibly wrong with it, I am eighty five percent sure that this is an operator error.
My machine seems to sew fine, then the thread might suddenly begin to tangle. Or I'll sew something and all will go well and I'll leave, but when I turn my machine back on again it refuses to cooperate. I think my bobbin is wound correctly. Taking apart the bobbin race and putting it back together (in what looks to be the exact same way) sometimes seems to solve the problem, but eventually it'll start tangling again.
My machine is a cheap one from Target, which would be fine for me if it would just stop screwing around. I guess, because of its quality (or lack thereof), the machine could be the one at fault here.

Buuuut, I think it's me.

Having searched this site and the general interwebnet for anybody else whose had this problem I come up with nothing. Anybody have any idea what is going on?

And sorry for the long rambling post. Tongue

MMMmmm... summer.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005 07:46:31 AM »

Hmmm...ok lets see. 1st off make darn sure that your machine is threaded correctly...check to see if the thread is through the tension disks entirely, sometimes they can be quite tight and the thread just rests along the top of the disks. I've have been tricked by them disks many a time and it makes effective sewing impossible!!. Secondly make sure your bobbin is the right size and that it "clicks" into your machine fully. This could very well be the problem, after sewing fine you go to remove your work pull it away from the machine thus moving the loose bobbin/bobbin case so the next time you go to sew it's all screwy and gets tangled around  the post. Thats all I can think of for now hope it was of some help...Good Luck!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005 11:43:01 AM »

1.  My first suspicion falls on the way the top thread is working.  Maybe it has worked loose from the arm that moves up and down when you sew.  Try re-threading the machine. 

2.  When you start to sew, make sure both threads are pulled under the foot and to the back of the machine.  And that the bobbin thread has been pulled up through the center hole. 

3.  Try a different bobbin - maybe it wasn't wound correctly.  If the thread is wound very tightly, it will cause problems.

4.  Change the needle.  Old, worn needles can mess up in various ways.

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005 05:35:42 PM »

Thanks for replying Cheesy.

I will have to check out the possibility of it being a problem with the top thread- I hadin't really condsidered that.

I'm using the bobbin that came with the machine, so I assume it's wound correctly. I actually just switched to that one- I was using one I would myself before. Ironic, that as soon as I switch to the company-wound bobbin it starts getting screwy. Hmm. Anywho... I don't think it's the needle- it's only two months old, and it's not like I've been sewing with ten layers on denim. The needle doesn't need to be changed that often, does it?

Anyway, thanks. I'll check it out.

MMMmmm... summer.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005 05:46:29 PM »

The needle doesn't need to be changed that often, does it?

Depends who you listen to.  Some experts say to put in a new needle after every project - but I don't know anyone who does that.  Even if I'm doing light and medium duty sewing, I change the needle after 4 or 5 projects.  I suppose we should all put timers on our machines and change it after X number of hours of sewing.  The problems are that a needle can be slightly bent, have wear around the hole, or be dulled. None of these are easy to diagnose, so when in doubt, try a new needle.

Some machines are more sensitive to worn needles than others. 

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005 05:49:34 PM »

Hmm. I'll see if I can fix it some other way, and if not I'll look into changing the needle...

MMMmmm... summer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All-Natural At-Home Cosmetics
10 Foods You Need to Be Eating for Healthy Skin
How to Treat Dry Winter Skin
Allure Sample Society January Haul
VF NEWS: The Blonds Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...