A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slide Lamps... i know they've been done UPDATE - img heavy  (Read 24285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

burpingbedpost
« on: August 02, 2005 06:15:41 PM »

I am an avid reader of ReadyMade and fell in love with the slide lamp project.  I've made about 15 of them, all different shapes and styles and slides.  I bought TONS of slides on ebay, from all sorts of eras, but I mostly liked the retroish ones.  Hope you enjoy!  Also, I've got about 500 slides left over from my spree, let me know if you have any cool ideas for them.  I think I'm going to make some small night lights by putting six together and mounting it on a night light frame.

J-Lay

by the way, i bought some black plastic slide mounts and remounted the slides, I think that doing so really made the lamp as cool as it is, although I like the cardboard mounts too for their retro feel.  Let me know if you want the link to buy the slide mounts, its like $8 for 200 or something crazy cheap like that.

Update:

Here are some pics of my friend's apartment who bought one of my lamps, I think it fits well with his modern look... (he did the painting himself with house paint and a ketchup bottle)...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 08:49:15 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire
16candles
Impulsive Letter Writer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005 06:18:11 PM »

that is absolutely amazing.  those are so well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is feeding us identification.
http://www.geocities.com/dropdowngorgeous/
burpingbedpost
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005 06:22:13 PM »

Wow, im always so suprised to find people posting mere seconds after i put it up.  Here are the largest ones i did, they were my favoriete, mayde from a $15 lamp at Home Depot.  I went to every single home depot in town and bought them all.  (they are no longer made... i was in a two week depression over their discontinuence).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 06:32:07 PM »

Beautiful....... my brother is a photographer for Associated Press... I think I can get ahold of enough of his prints and get them made into slides.....He's always paranoid about looking like an idiot displaying his own work at his place. But I think if I made this he might snap out of it. Maybe by Christmas. Thank you so much for sharing your  wonderful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
00babygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005 06:32:57 PM »

Wow, that's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitten_88
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 06:44:54 PM »

That is really, really nice.

I have a question: Aside from buying slides off of ebay, can you make your own out of pictures you already have? Because this is a project I would love to try, but I don't have any slides. Any information anyone could give me on this would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:kate:.
burpingbedpost
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005 06:50:14 PM »

Well, i had a theory on that one.  What I thought about doing but never went through with was getting some inkjet transparencies and laying out a bunch of slide-sized images in photoshop right next to eachother and printing them out and cutting them out with an x-acto.  Then mount them in the black mounts i bought.  This would actually lend it self to SO many more possibilities.  For example:

-take one image and cut it up into smaller slide-sized squares and have the slides be parts of the one images where when you look from a far, you see the completed images.  I have yet to do this but just typing it makes me antsy to try.

-take diferent shades of solid colors and make patterns or fade colors across the lamp

Just a few ideas I thought about doing.  Having slides made from current photos is out of the question, i called the photo store and they said it would be upwards of $50 an images.  Considering it takes over 50 slides per lamp... i think not.  Also, go to a photo store and buy some slide film and use a 35mm camera if they still exist (heh) and take some of your own.  A great gift to someone going away would be to take pictures of all of their favorite things or people using slide film and make a lamp out of it.

J-Lay
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 06:52:11 PM by burpingbedpost » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arksiel
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005 06:56:32 PM »

your lamps are fantastic, they look very professional.
I really like your attention to detail - ie, taking the time to re-mount the slides in plastic.
I would definately be interested in where you purchased the slide mounts, if you could post the link that would be great.

Its almost kind of sad that we have to stop and think about whether or not 35mm cameras still exist...but I guess thats the way it goes. I still have a great love affair with my dads old OM1 from when he was in highschool. of course, I couldnt live without my D70 either....

once again, great work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchkitty83
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005 06:57:18 PM »

Wow, im always so suprised to find people posting mere seconds after i put it up.  Here are the largest ones i did, they were my favoriete, mayde from a $15 lamp at Home Depot.  I went to every single home depot in town and bought them all.  (they are no longer made... i was in a two week depression over their discontinuence).

the flamingo in the background, does that light up? i think ive seen one before... anychance your willing to share where you bought it. thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burpingbedpost
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005 07:05:16 PM »

Here's the company: http://www.loersch.com/sub/211.html

I used the black 1.9mm slide mounts.  They come apart, one white half and one black half.  They just snap together and have a little gum that holds the film in place.  You have to call them to order, sorry no online ordering (heaven forbid we have to interact with people these days) but they do take credit cards.  Dont forget to put parchment paper on the inside to difuse the light.  I used a drill press with the smallest bit i could and made a holder that held 10 slides on top of eachother and made a steel template with the six holes.  If you have any questions feel free to IM me, Im on most of the time.  I guess after 15 of these i developed quite a system.  Thanks for the feedback!

Oh yeah, about the flamingo, i got that at eckerds last year, it did light up at one point but never during my onwership of it.  i got into conversation with the clerk and she said it was broken but that i could have it for $1.  I figure i could replace a bulb and it would light up again but nope... it was also supposed to move but the motor was broken.  It just kept me company in my dorm room last year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 07:08:40 PM by burpingbedpost » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Learn Easy Origami
How to Make a Paper Origami Cube
How to Make Origami Balloon
How to Create an Origami Turtle
How to Create Your Own Origami Envelope
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...