A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ikea Picture Frames  (Read 10766 times)
Tags for this thread: picture_frame , crayon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Slasm
« on: April 07, 2004 08:43:35 PM »

So i decorated some ikea picture frames, i hope i am posting this in the right folder...the first one i made with some crayons that i just hot glued onto the frame, it was super easy and quick!

the second one has a note from highschool modge podged onto it:

has anyone else done fun stuff with ikea picture frames? ( i hope there isnt already a thread like this...)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2004 09:09:07 PM by Slasm » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomVoyeur

Nobody has confused me more than myself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004 08:04:25 PM »

I dig the frames!  The high school note frame gave me a great idea..  For my mom's anniversary:  A picture of her and her hubby and the frame could be mod-podged with their love letters of something....

thanks for the inspiration!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobody has confused me more than myself
missy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004 10:46:44 PM »

i'd just make a copy of it instead of cutting up the original, if you are going to use it, you better make sure she doesn't want to keep it in tact ! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ksocali
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004 04:13:34 PM »

I love IKEA frames, they are cheap and there are tons of things you can do with them.  You can also paint them and then use eye screws to attach them to eachother or hang them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappygirl085
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004 05:14:38 PM »

Unfortunately, we don't have an IKEA here in Michigan.... Cry  I really like the frame with the old note from high school.... I still have a box of those (okay, it's been 19 years, I can't let go)  and this would be a great way to display some of them -- and to give the frames as gifts to the people who wrote the notes!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004 01:39:56 PM »

my living room is realllly long, and i didn't think i could ever find a picture long enough to fit the huge wall.  and i couldn't.  so i took the little IKEA frames and just randomly painted and hung them.  people love the variety and lack of continuity of the pictures!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004 02:44:07 PM »

I love the crayon frame! Cuteness!

I've got about 3 dozen Ikea frames floating around... Gotta love 'em!

I decorated some with a glue gun, making swirly designs with the glue --- trace it out in pencil first, and then go over it with the glue gun. Only try this if you've got steady hands! Once the glue is cool, you can paint right over it with acrylic paints --- I used silver, and it looks very spiffy. (Sorry, no pictures... The frames are at my parents' place!)

Another idea is to take four frames and glue them together with wood glue, then use picture-hangers to hang up the whole ensemble. I did this two ways --- once, with all the frames in the same orientation, and another time, with two frames upright (portrait) and two horizontal (landscape) arranged in a sort of pinwheel formation. You may have to brace the joins on the back with some additional slats of wood or something, though mine have held together just fine for the last 5 or 6 years.

My sister did a bunch of frames using paint chips, cut into wee diamonds, as mosaic tiles --- no need to grout! Just cut the tiles and glue them on with white glue in whatever design you like.

You can also colour right on the frames using magic markers --- they bleed a little, but you can create a kind of fun watercoloury effect this way.

I'm sure I've decorated these frames in even more ways over the years, but I can't recall how! I'll let you know if I think of anything more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Slasm
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004 11:05:34 PM »

Awesome! i think i need to make a trip out to ikea again to pick some more up.  it might be fun to paint the frames really bright colors and then put black and white pictures in the frames? i dont know, i'm a bit tired! im glad you guys like my frames though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004 11:20:06 PM »

craftymed: 

I love your idea!  I have had the same problem with the wall above my couch.  On a separate thought, I had been wanting to display some of the pictures from explodingdog.com in the apartment.  DING!  (light going on)  Maybe I should do your frame thing with the pics!  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004 05:43:01 AM »

yeah, my wall is HUGE and i couldn't leave it empty.  it's not above my couch though b/c the room is a looooong great room that has the dining room at the other end.  my "free-standing" couch splits it up.  when my couch was against the wall (in my old apt), i had a small wooden shelf (i think Target) with 3 little lanterns on it, then i surrounded that "center piece" with 10 silver frames of different sizes.  it came out well too.  i just can't deal with one picture trying to fill such huge spaces, so i like a bunch of little ones, and it allows me to get photos out.  oh, and in my last apt, the colored IKEA frames were in my very white, white bathroom, so they really brighten it up! 

another great thing about the IKEA frames, they're so lightweight, that mine are actually "hanging" with use of the that sticky poster stuff!!  no nails, no holes, and easy to move around if i want to change the design!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Makeup Secret That Will Make Your Skin Glow
Jaclyn Smith’s Beauty Secrets!
Rachel Zoe Spring 2014 - New York Fashion Week - Behind the Scenes & Runway
Think Like a Star with This Celeb Inspired Makeup Look
A Natural Static Killer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...