A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: golden 14th birthday in December  (Read 1618 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2005 10:27:50 AM »

Yes, I realize this is really early, but it never hurts to plan in advance!   Cheesy  I will be turning 14 on December 14th this year and I want the party to be really special.  I'm not really into themes, but if you have a really great theme idea that's not horribly complex I'd be happy to hear it.  I'm mostly just looking for fun, random ideas that all of my friends would enjoy.  I want a fun party that costs as little as possible, since we're on a budget.

The party might be in November or January, since December is a busy month for lots of people.  It will be a co-ed party with approx. 10-20 people.  I want it to be something that would involve as little parental supervision as possible.  This will be especially tough with members of the opposite sex there.   Roll Eyes 

A sleepover at my house is not an option.  There is no where we could go in my house where my parents wouldn't be kept up by the noise.  A bowling party might be kind of fun, but I'm really bad at bowling.  Tongue  None of my friends are into crafting, so a crafting party wouldn't work.  I'm not interested in a scavenger hunt type of thing. 

One of my ideas was renting a hotel room and spending most of the time swimming in the indoor pool.  Then we could go up to the room, eat pizza, and listen to music or watch TV.  Unless we rented an extra room for my parents we wouldn't be able to stay up late and have a sleepover though.   Tongue

Another idea would be just to hang out at my house.  We could play in the snow for awhile, then listen to music, watch movies, play video games, play foosball, possibly go in the hottub, etc.  That might get a little boring though.

As you can see, none of my ideas are particularly interesting or creative.  Any suggestions about anything related to the party would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005 10:52:22 AM »

I think the hotel room idea sounds really fun.You should have your parnts get a seperate hotel room and have a slumber party since youve never been able to have one before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
hakue
Creative Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005 11:07:56 AM »

The only problem with that is it might be a little expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 02:40:18 PM »

Ya it could...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005 04:29:41 PM »

You're not interested in a scavenger hunt? I know the idea can sound completely lame, but hear me out on this one. My friend did this for one of her church groups or something... I didn't go, but she gave me all the details and it sounds like fun. I'm thinking of doing it one day for no reason at all. But here's how it works: You divide into a few teams of two-three people. Each team gets a digital camera (people can supply their own. chances are, at least ONE person in each team will own one... you can make the teams according to who has cameras) and a list of things they have to photograph. Then you get a parent to let you all loose in a cool downtown area. Chances are, there's an awesome section of a nearby town that has a park, stores, resturants, and lots of people so you won't need supervision. If the weather isn't good enough for that (I know you mentioned November-January), arrange to get dropped off in a local mall instead. For the list of things to photograph, make them a little less obvious and a little more interpretive. For example, "get a picture of a group member proposing to a random stranger" or "take a photo of a group member trying on the weirdest outfit possible" and I think you get that idea. Then have a set time to meet back at a central part of the mall/town/whatever and then go back to your house for pizza/cake/looking at the pictures on your computer or TV, if you've got one of those cables. Maybe you think scavenger hunts are a little less lame now? (maybe not, lol)

Another idea is to run with your hotel one. Getting two rooms at a decent hotel doesn't cost that much when it's off-season. As long as there's no major event in your area or a holiday coming up, it's pretty reasonable. $150 per room is pretty much the running price for off-season Marriot or Hilton. I'm sure there are cheaper hotels, too. But anyway, that's a small price to pay for a party... a lot cost WAY more that $300. For my cousin's last birthday, she got two rooms and we hung out in one and then slept over. It was really fun because it was just girl cousins and aunts and we're all really close. We ate at a nice resturant and then went swimming in the pool. And we arranged for our aunts to bring baby pictures of us and we all worked together on a scrapbook for my cousin. Well, she watched a movie while the rest of us worked on it.  Cheesy But we got two suites, so we had a lot of room and a mini bar (which we couldn't use for obvious reasons) and we felt all important and cool. It was nice to look back on 16 years of memories, too, and even craft-retarded people can help with scrapbooking. And we just walked around the hotel at night and such.

Good luck.

edited because i had a typo and it was bothering me, okay?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 05:05:45 PM by candycanechild » THIS ROCKS   Logged
_otherworldly
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 04:45:17 PM »

Ahh! My birthday is December 14th too! But back on topic, I like your hotel room idea and even though your friends aren't craftsters doesn't mean you can't have crafty things set up. You could get cameras and take pictures the whole night, but during the party make frames or something then get the pictures developed and use some of them. And since you're starting early - there's plenty of time to save money and look around for cheap stuff to do. like going to sales and what not and getting fun stuff to do. I'm so cheap i buy almost everything on sale and don't forget local thrift stores.

P.S. Even though you think scanvenger hunts are lame, you could have a lot of fun with it. Make a list of wacky items or things to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005 11:26:32 PM »

everyone is reeeeely rite bout the scavenger hunts, but its no big deal to just not have one, theres plenty more u could do for fun-

with the hotel idea-
~check to c if any of the hotels have game rooms, exercise rooms, or ne thing else. when i had my party there, we hung out n the fitness room for a while, just screwin around on the bikes n stuff, cuz it was open all nite, and away from alot of the other hotel rooms (so it was quieter for all those ppl)
~since ur savin now, u should get room service, even if its only drinks or sumthin, its just fun to have the guy come up to the room and bring ya sumthin
~truth or dare is especially fun at a hotel, cuz u can prank call like a bowling alley or w/e, n its not ur home # that they r gunna call back to and complain
~dare someone to call the front desk and ask for 25 tampons, or the ultra absorbent pads ha, or ask ppl comin into the hotel if they wanna race or if dance n the lobby with u
~when i had a hotel party, we had 3 rooms (i saved for a long time, but u could just get 2 rooms, and not sleep over there, so ur parents wouldnt need one) 2 of the rooms were adjoined, these were for me n my friends... we played a sort of 'hotel battle', with 1 team n each room
we snuck into eachothers rooms we they were away and put ice n shoes and n the bed, had water guns fights, 'snow' ball fights (white panty hoses filled with flour, then tyed, 1 panty hoe makes about 10 balls, when u throw it, flour goes every where!!), silly string, tag, pillow fights, everything... it was sooo fun, everyone dressed n their team color and had a blast, we left the door open, so when we slept the rooms were connected n we could all chat... when we left, we gave the cleaning crew a big tip 9since we made such a mess)  GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hakue
Creative Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005 08:18:58 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas so far!  Truth or Dare would be really fun at a hotel, especially with my friends.  I'm also kind of liking the idea of a picture scavenger hunt at the mall, but I don't think my friends would be into it.  Any more ideas for activities, food, party favors, etc. would be appreciated. 

I think for a snack I want to buy lots of ice cream toppings and have everyone make sundaes, but that seems a little messy for a hotel.   Undecided  Any suggestions on how I could pull that off?  Also, does anyone know if I could get away with bringing a boom box to the room?  Would people in the rooms next door complain about the noise?  I'm thinking it would be cool to possibly get a little kareoke happening. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tom Stoppard  

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005 08:31:38 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas so far!  Truth or Dare would be really fun at a hotel, especially with my friends.  I'm also kind of liking the idea of a picture scavenger hunt at the mall, but I don't think my friends would be into it.  Any more ideas for activities, food, party favors, etc. would be appreciated. 

I think for a snack I want to buy lots of ice cream toppings and have everyone make sundaes, but that seems a little messy for a hotel.   Undecided  Any suggestions on how I could pull that off?  Also, does anyone know if I could get away with bringing a boom box to the room?  Would people in the rooms next door complain about the noise?  I'm thinking it would be cool to possibly get a little kareoke happening. 

Ice cream sundaes hardly sound messy when you read what highschoolcrafter wrote about the silly string, "snowball" fights, etc! You could get a suite and they have (usually) a minibar where you could line the ingredients up and some have kitchen tables, too. And about the boombox... I don't think people will complain if you don't do it too late at night. The worst that can happen is you get called by the office and asked to turn things down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005 02:05:14 PM »

get one of those 99 cent plastic table cloths and put it over the place where ur sundae bar would go, then just put it n the trash when ur dun, easy clean up
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Triple Braid
How To Make Your Hair Shine for a Big Night Out
How to Highlight Your Own Hair
How to Keep Your Hair Healthy
How to Keep Your Hair Looking Good Between Washes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...