A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick but fancy Hor d'eovres ideas?  (Read 2045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2005 06:46:22 PM »

I just realized I am having a stamping party at my house Friday night, I thought it was on in October and was told today it is this Friday so I am not at all prepared.  I don't need many finger foods just a couple, but I do not want to do the standard veggie tray. I was thinking baked brie filled with a crabmeat and mushroom filling, maybe some vanilla sugared strawberries, maybe not, sometimes people think they are too pretty to eat.  I don't want standard fare but I do want it edible, no one in my group but maybe two of us would eat humus so nothing like that. If I go to gourmet, people do not eat it, but if I go too mainstream, well lets just put it this way, I am not mainstream and and I am a  snobby foodie and people know it and expect alot out of me.  Any easy but fancy and yummy foods?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 10:00:23 PM »

Re-reading your request... you've kind of got me confused :fancy, but not gourmet, not mainstream, not humus... aww heck.  I know what you mean- you want it to be good and pretty, to make people say Wow as they eat it, but to overall be spectacular!

I keep an online recipe archive of bites that particualrly please me... you might have fun looking through my "Little Bites" category.
I'm feeling lazy, so I'm not going to rewrite my recipes (yeah yeah, I know its only copy and paste...) but here's a listing of what I've got in the hor d'eovres category that might fit:

• - Strawberry Salsa: best made with fresh strawberries (just make sure they're really flavorful!), is really good with sour cream.
  • - Black Sesame Blue Cheese Toasts: mixed up with cream cheese, these blue cheese balls are best when smeared on crostini, sprinkled with sugar and toasted.
  • - Funky Sushi Rolls: grapefruit and avocado with crushed smoked almonds,and wasabi mayo is a favorite (can you hear the drooling?), as are sushi rolls made with crunchy chicken tenders with a stripe of chili mayo- served with mango dipping sauce

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
giggles1100

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005 06:54:08 AM »

Oh those sound just like what I am looking for.  Thanks, I have so much going on in my life right, just taking time to think of stuff I have done in the past is too much for me.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
janakisses

I live in my own little world, but you can visit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 08:11:24 AM »

Recipezaar is a great site that is just for people posting and trading recipes....there are even reviews, so you can see how other people felt about the finished product or any tips that might help someone else they found during the preperation of the recipe....the site has a great search feature and is divided out by catagories....not sure how they feel about posting links on this site, so just do a search for recipezaar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005 09:54:43 AM »

McAuliflower..those sushi roles sound sooo good!! yumm i think i'am gonna try making these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 09:58:02 AM »

Frozen puff pastry has saved my bacon literally before. You just cut it into whatever shape you want or small squares of it into mini muffin cups and bake. You can fill it with anything from cheese spreads to salsa to nut pie filling and it's automatically gourmet food. It's puff pastry after all. Easy to make ahead if your filling isn't too soggy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bag_lady
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005 10:07:25 AM »

a friend of mine made these for New Year's:

mini pumpernickel bread slices (you can toast them in the oven if you like with a little butter)
cream cheese spread on top
cucumber sclices on top of that
dried dil sprinkled on top of that

really easy and really yummy.l

THIS ROCKS   Logged

giggles1100

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005 10:41:58 AM »

Oh I have done those cucumber rounds, I love those. See  all I needed was a littel kick start with a few ideas and I my creative cooking juices are flowing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
ilovepaper
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005 10:49:20 AM »

I can wow a crowd with this appetizer every time.
It goes like this:
-slice a loaf of French bread into thin slices and toast in the oven.
-put some calamata olives, sundried tomatoes, crushed garlic, olive oil and fresh parsley into a chopper and blend into a thick paste.
-spread a thin layer of goat cheese on the toast
-top with a spoonful of paste
You can make them an hour (+) ahead and just pop them in a hot oven for a minute and serve.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 11:48:30 AM by ilovepaper » THIS ROCKS   Logged

efitch
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005 11:15:52 AM »

Here's one I read about recently:

Asparagus spears, wrapped with a slice of prosciutto, brushed with a little olive oil and baked in a 450 oven for 15 minutes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie Kitamura Talks About The Longshot
Catherine Hickland Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Julia Gregson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...