A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,137
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How would you make this hat from Elizabethtown?  (Read 9707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tygra
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005 09:17:40 PM »

I can't figure what's holding this thing on her head.
Other than an army of stylists, of course!

hahaha! i totally agree! i too have been admiring this hat from all the commercials, however i have the *teeniest* head, and so most hats tend to slide off it unless i have em pulled down to almost touching my eyebrows! seriously, having a pea-head sucks!

but i'm curious to see someone finally tackle this project, so that i can suss out whether or not it might be worth attempting to scale it down for my mini-melon!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005 08:43:21 PM by tygra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

übercherry goodies make you feel übercheery inside!
http://ubercherry.com
http://ubercherry.blogspot.com
flipflopfaller

lawn clippings!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005 12:32:18 PM »

Is this it?

This is my FIRST post!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005 12:42:44 PM by flipflopfaller » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"if the sky is the limit, why are there footprints on the moon?"
slimissaw
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005 01:31:10 PM »

looks like it!!  just substitute a cable pattern instead of the purse stitch and you've got it.  I just bought some LB microspun to try this out today.
I plan on doing a p1,k1,p1,k1,p1 rib then a 4 or 6 stitch cable.  We'll see!  Wish me luck  Kiss

Its kinda funny that this hat  is from spiderman 2... very similar to the Elizabethtown hat.  Does she have it in her contract that she must be able to wear a "pithy hat" in all of her movies or what??
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005 01:35:22 PM by slimissaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Simply do not ask me what this is all about, parce que je ne sais pas, mes chers." --Holly.

http://needlephile.blogspot.com
box of purls
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005 04:42:22 PM »

I wish I had seen this post last night.  I started on a version of this hat...I think I may have to frog it because my cables are looking more stretched than they should.  Increases should fix that I think...
I've never tried to figure out a pattern before, this is more fun that I expected. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slimissaw
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005 09:56:50 AM »

Ok... here's what I have so far...
I am using Lion Brand Microspun in cherry red.  I started with size 3 needles, and CO 110 sts.  K 4 rounds, then did an increase round k1, m1 around.  Then switched to size 5's.  From there:
Rows 1,2, 4,5,6 [p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k4]
Row 3 [p1,l1,p1,k1,p1 sl2 to cn and hold to back, k2, k2 from cn]

I havent had much time to work on it cuz its midterm week coming up, but thats what I've got so far.  What do you all think?  any suggestions??  I would kinda like the cables to be smaller, but this works.  And I'm not sure I like how the first 4 rows roll up at the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Simply do not ask me what this is all about, parce que je ne sais pas, mes chers." --Holly.

http://needlephile.blogspot.com
box of purls
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005 08:03:13 PM »

slimisaw--it looks good.  I used 2x2 ribbing at the bottom and it hasn't rolled.  I have also started and restarted mine I think I'm on my third time now.  I've only made it to the cables once...I think after I increase I'm going to do a 6x3 rib and then every 5th or 6th row a cable twist.  I think....now that I look at the picture again I think there are more little ribs between each cable vertically....I don't know.

I also don't know how to make the cables smaller.  I'm using size 7 and 9 needles and Lion Brand Wool-ease.  I think yours looks good though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotmocha
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005 10:57:44 PM »

I love this hat!

It reminds me of this:

http://www.classic-yarns.co.uk/productexd.asp/_ctrl/c/plid/215/cid/7/scid/0/tid/0/_Lpage/1/id/

but then when I saw this version of the Coast hat made up:

http://www.girliscrafty.com/archives/000073.html

I don't like it nearly as much as the picture... hmm.

I am going to wait until someone else has finished it until I give it a go.  No shame in that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005 12:13:14 PM »

yeah, that looks sort of like it...but a little tighter on the head like...that's what it looks like to me.  I thought I would wait until someone else figured it out but I got impatient and decided to do it on my own.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleturtlemama
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005 07:23:51 PM »

looks like it!!  just substitute a cable pattern instead of the purse stitch and you've got it.  I just bought some LB microspun to try this out today.
I plan on doing a p1,k1,p1,k1,p1 rib then a 4 or 6 stitch cable.  We'll see!  Wish me luck  Kiss

Its kinda funny that this hat  is from spiderman 2... very similar to the Elizabethtown hat.  Does she have it in her contract that she must be able to wear a "pithy hat" in all of her movies or what??

too funny, I was trying to figure out why I was suddenly getting all these hits from craftster!!  I think my pithy hat pattern would work, but instead of the purse stitch, substitute with p1, k1, p1, k1, p1 (ribbing with purls next to the cable so it stands out) and a 3 stitch cable so that it fits into the 72 stitches Smiley

And I'm jealous of how good she looks in hats like this.  I love them and they make my head look like someone plopped a bowling ball cover on top of it :p

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005 08:48:41 PM »

looks like it!!  just substitute a cable pattern instead of the purse stitch and you've got it.  I just bought some LB microspun to try this out today.
I plan on doing a p1,k1,p1,k1,p1 rib then a 4 or 6 stitch cable.  We'll see!  Wish me luck  Kiss

too funny, I was trying to figure out why I was suddenly getting all these hits from craftster!!  I think my pithy hat pattern would work, but instead of the purse stitch, substitute with p1, k1, p1, k1, p1 (ribbing with purls next to the cable so it stands out) and a 3 stitch cable so that it fits into the 72 stitches Smiley

And I'm jealous of how good she looks in hats like this.  I love them and they make my head look like someone plopped a bowling ball cover on top of it :p

Theresa

okay...do you mean 72 stitches after the increases or 72 stitches excluding the ones being done into a cable (don't know how else to word it)?  I don't think what I have figured out is really working so I think I'm going to go with smaller needles and your instructions.

Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clamp-Free Curling Iron - Sultra Bombshell Product Review
Hair Tips For Men
Shiny Hair and Anti Aging Treatment
Summer Hair Styling Tips for Curly Hair
How to Blow Dry Your Hair for Volume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...