A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UGH! How huge does Debbie Bliss think a 3 yr old is????  (Read 540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnittenChicken
« on: December 20, 2006 08:18:45 PM »

I had a problem with a Debbie Bliss pattern a few weeks ago and someone mentioned that her patterns for children are notoriously oversized. I could never get that one to work and started on a new one tonight, hoping it would be a little better.
OMG, it's ridiculous! It's a bolero that I SWEAR would fit me, but it's sized for a 3-4 yr old!

It's from her Junior Knits book, and the patterns start at size 3.  My daughter wears a 4 or 5T, there is nothing smaller in the book to use than a 3-4. 

Any suggestions on how to shrink down the pattern? I hate even thinking about math, but I know there has to be a way to evenly shrink the whole thing...
It's a bolero worked in one piece from the back up and around the the sleeves and shoulders. Instructions say CO 72 st and work for about 4 inches, then CO for the sleeves. Should I put in the effort to figure out a new-ish pattern (and how???) or should I scrap it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006 08:40:54 PM »

One thing you could try is thinner yarn and smaller needles. Or try this to go down a size... Look at the difference in the number of stitches for the different sizes. It says CO 72, say the next size larger is a CO of 80 - that's 8 sts different. So cast on 8 or 16 less, whatever gives you the inches in your gauge that matches your daughter's measurements. Then stich with that differential for any other stitch numbers that are given.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
queenoftroy
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006 09:04:51 PM »

just reducing stitches in cast on plays havoc with the sleeve (armhole) and neck shaping.

(but don't listen to me, i hate debbie bliss patterns, and dislike her designs in general... and i think her instructions are the worst.. but then, i didn say i hate her patterns to start)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glossy and Shiny Hair in 4 Steps
Amoy Pitters of Amoy Couture: VIBE VIXEN Salon Takeover
How to Create Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Hollywood Hair
How to Create 1940s Style Katy Perry-Inspired Hair
How to Get Easy Hairstyles For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...