A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,537
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting People Registered...?  (Read 3043 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewing stars
« on: April 07, 2004 01:39:10 PM »

There is a craft sale I will be participating in May. (Although I am not sure my partner who I am sharing the table with will want to do this or not) I was thinking of giving away buttons to people who filled out a voter registration card at the sale. I would even provide the stamp to mail the card in with.

I was thinking about the buttons and what they might say. I love the 'craft the vote' from the name of this folder. if Leah doesn't might mind, I might use that. I don't want to be political in the statements on the buttons, but more encouraging people to be proud of their right to vote.

Any suggestions? Does anyone think it might be a good or bad idea for doing as a side thing at the sale?

Tell me what you guys think!

Thanks, Teresa.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004 05:34:48 PM by sewing stars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004 01:44:11 PM »

You shouldn't even need to provide stamps - 'ballotting information' is free to post in the US. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JuneLuna
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004 01:13:00 AM »

I think that's an awesome idea!  I really wish people would be more motivated... it makes me mad because I'm only 17 and I feel really strongly about some issues, and then I have friends who have graduated high school and don't even care and aren't even going to bother to register. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004 11:42:21 AM »

For anyone who, like me, is a US citizen (age 18+) living abroad:  You can still vote!  all the information for registering to vote by absentee ballot is on www.fvap.gov.  You have to register in the last county in the US where you lived.  Do it asap, because your registration info has to be processed in time to get an absentee ballot and have you vote on it and get it postmarked back to the elections board by election day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavendar420
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004 02:59:22 PM »

I went to a bead show yesterday here in Portland, Oregon. I was this t shirt:
www.cafeshops.com/warposter/56665

Anyways, sooo many people were telling me they liked my shirt & I was talking politics with beed peeps from all over the country. It was really cool.

Here in Portland, pretty much anywhere you go someone is doing voter registration. However, there wasn't one at the bead show. I really like the idea of it, since women are still underrepresented as voters, and bead/craft shows are generally more appealing to women.

Also, for those apathetic folks you may know, get them to go see Farenheit 9/11. For real, it'll piss off the most laid back non political person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004 07:31:32 AM »

I just trained to do voter registration (in some states, you have to take a class).  It is illegal to give something away in exchange for registering to vote (in delaware at least).  You CAN however, give a button to anyone who asks and you must make it clear that they are free to everyone.

I trained through Planned Parenthood and we are giving out condoms that say "stand up and be counted, Vote!"  But we are just handing them out in general, at the registration tables and also in a bar, although we hope that people will decide to register.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
Lrschic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004 12:56:30 PM »

I know this probably won't be too helpful now because your craft sale was in may, but I did think the following lines were cute from the comedy central/declare yourself public service announcements:
"Chicks dig registered voters."
" Voting: 0g of fat. The carbs are pretty high though... walk it off."
They were both on the Ray Ramano one, though each PSA is pretty funny. You can check them out online at http://www.declareyourself.com!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."~ Roald Dahl

My website: www.craftemagee.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Makeup a Cat Nose
How to Do Cat Eyelashes Makeup
How to Do Cat Eyes in Makeup
How to Do a Cat Makeup Face
Handmade Portraits: Black-Eyed Suzie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...