A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 315,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help needed with female Pirate/Renaissance costume...  (Read 1359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinathellama
Oh man!

I am the Depleted Uranium of Feminity!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2005 01:50:55 PM »

Ok you craftsters... I need some help!

I am in the market for a Pirate/Renaissance costume to wear to the Renaissance festival that my favorite man goes to every year. This is him in his costume:

So, I want to make something to wear that is complimentary to the garb he already has. I was thinking a shirt that is similar to his, but lowcut with a under-bust corset over, and a long, ruffled, multi-layered skirt, and these black boots that I have.

The boots:

They are the most pirate-ish shoes I own, and I don't have the funds to buy any others. Unless I thrift them...

Yeah.

So, obviously I have some vague idea as to what I want it to look like, and I'm a fairly competent seamstress, and I am able to follow tutes and patterns with ease. So I ask of you...

Suggestions?
Ideas?
Links?

THANKS!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\m/
Debbie Brookman
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 03:15:29 PM »

Simplicity has a couple of pirate patterns that were cute,just look in the back of the book under costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005 04:01:47 PM »

I say go with a blousy-off-the-shoulder peasant blouse, under-bust corset, gypsy skirt (tucked up on one side), your boots, scarf, and a sword and dagger.  ARRRGGGHHH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
soteralu
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005 08:32:02 PM »

I would say you could go the ship-wench route, chemise, floofy petticoats, corset/cincher, or you can wear an over-large men's poets shirt, open at the neck as far as it will go, a tight weskit or vest, and skintight leather/pleather leggings tucked into your ROCKING boots.  A wide belt, a scarf with jangly bits sewn on, and some ginormous hoop earrings, and you can pirate with the best of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
memerryandpippin

Merry and Pippin are the best cats ever :-)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005 12:45:07 AM »

Butterick has the perfect under-bust corset pattern:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B3906=x&TI=10013&page=6
#3906, it has a dress and an overskirt, but you could always turn the dress part into a shirt, or just use the corset part of the pattern.
There's also this:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B6196=x&TI=10013&page=8
#6196, which in the picture looks very un-pirate-y, but could easily be altered to be an under-bust corset, and avoids the under-dress/not skirt problem.
This Simplicity pattern:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=4&type=19&sec=0&id=59&StartRow=21
#9966, is interesting in that it has THREE laces up the front of the corset. So if you were going for the maybe-not-so-accurate-but-wow-that's-interesting route, that might be a good one.
Also, #8855:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=4&type=19&sec=0&id=59&StartRow=11
(on the left column, near the middle) doesn't look pirate-y, but could easily be altered to be perfect.
If you're set on a non-poet shirt, here's a pattern for a more pirate-y shirt:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4486=x&TI=10013&page=2
(Butterick #4486)
At JoAnn Fabrics I know that they don't sell any of their patterns for full price, so you might want to check there (patterns can be way expensive!) Also, I reccommend making the shirt out of muslin, it's *super* cheap and gives it that nice "I'm poor, I can't afford expensive clothes" vibe.
So, I'd love to say that I'm just really nice and I just looked all of these up for you, but I actually just agreed to make a pirate-wench costume for someone, so I've just spent the last few days scrutinizing patterns for pirate-wench-worthy-ness. :-) But, hey, such luck that I saw your post, and I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out!
Oh, and yeah, the boots, I'd keep, I think they look cool.
Love,
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 06:07:56 AM »

Check out Simplicity #4914.  I love the one with the knee breeches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Beef, Snap Pea and Asparagus Stir Fry
Broiled Miso Salmon With Shitake Mushrooms and Corn
How to Make Salmon and Pink Rice Sushi
How to Make Salmon and Quail Egg Sushi
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...